Yet another Metal Max!

Start your own build thread so others can see how it's going, and even help out!
bob64
Printmaster!

Re: Yet another Metal Max!

Post by bob64 »

Actually. I don't recommend those converters at all. I've used them before. Unreliable as they can go bad with weird modes of failure. Stick with a dedicated 12v power supply (like a computer power supply) and generate that 12v from scratch. It's cheaper and more reliable.
Rostock Max V2 with mods:
E3d v6 with 713maker mount & e3d titan extruder
Tricklaser CF arms, heat spreader, tricktrucks, fly-n-strude, metal carriage & effector
Duet v.8.5.0
24v MeanWell 750w PS & Cydom D1D40 SSR in parallel with stock 12v PS
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

I've never had a problem but that's not to say it's the best practice either. I couldn't imagine fitting a meanwell 750w and a computer power supply in the frame.
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

I would second that recommendation against the converters. I have a great fondness for industrial supplies. For the 12V you shouldn't need more than 9A. If you were to buy say, a 10A 12V power supply, you could get a Meanwell DIN rail supply for ~42$. If you didn't buy a DIN rail one (They are much more compact, but have a good cost premium to them), you can get another Genuine Meanwell for ~25$.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

2 meanwell on their sides, beside each other will fit inside bottom frame rails.
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
MAX METAL Rostock MAX Printer Frame
NEMESIS Air Delta v1 & v2 -Aluminum delta printers
Rostock MAX "KITT" - Tri-Force Frame
GRABER i3 "Slim"
TheRealRocketBurns
Printmaster!

Post by TheRealRocketBurns »

Sorry, homework got the better of me and I have not got the time to work on it. I did just realize I bought the wrong relays (I got the DC-AC ones, which won't work). Would something like thisdo the trick to isolate the heated bed from the duet?
Tincho85
Printmaster!

Post by Tincho85 »

bob64 wrote:Actually. I don't recommend those converters at all. I've used them before. Unreliable as they can go bad with weird modes of failure. Stick with a dedicated 12v power supply (like a computer power supply) and generate that 12v from scratch. It's cheaper and more reliable.
Oh man... why? Please explain those weird modes of failure.
I've just received a 240w 24v to 12v converter and was about to wire everything up.
Martín S.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

TheRealRocketBurns wrote:Sorry, homework got the better of me and I have not got the time to work on it. I did just realize I bought the wrong relays (I got the DC-AC ones, which won't work). Would something like thisdo the trick to isolate the heated bed from the duet?
These should work, my concern is if the traces on the board are wide enough to carry the amperage required by the heat bed.
No harm in given it a try and letting us know how well this board works.
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
dc42
Printmaster!

Post by dc42 »

TheRealRocketBurns wrote:Sorry, homework got the better of me and I have not got the time to work on it. I did just realize I bought the wrong relays (I got the DC-AC ones, which won't work). Would something like thisdo the trick to isolate the heated bed from the duet?
The IRF540 mosfet used on that board is ancient, dirt cheap, and about the last thing I would choose for switching a high current bed heater. It needs more than 5V gate drive to turn it on fully and it has a very high on-resistance compared to modern MOSFETs.

If your bed heater draws more than 15A then I suggest you buy an Auber Instruments DC-DC SSR to switch it. If 15A or less then you can switch it directly from the Duet, but if it isn't a Duet WiFi then solder a piece of thick copper wire on the underside of the Duet between the VIN+ and Bed Heater+ terminals to help carry the current.
bob64
Printmaster!

Post by bob64 »

Tincho85 wrote:
bob64 wrote:Actually. I don't recommend those converters at all. I've used them before. Unreliable as they can go bad with weird modes of failure. Stick with a dedicated 12v power supply (like a computer power supply) and generate that 12v from scratch. It's cheaper and more reliable.
Oh man... why? Please explain those weird modes of failure.
I've just received a 240w 24v to 12v converter and was about to wire everything up.
voltage randomly dropping, causing printer to basically turn off. Especially fustrating when you're in the middle of a multi-day job and it acts like the printer "rebooted" itself randomly.
And eventually it degrades to random flickering of power. It actually corrupted the EEPROM on my rambo board.
Rostock Max V2 with mods:
E3d v6 with 713maker mount & e3d titan extruder
Tricklaser CF arms, heat spreader, tricktrucks, fly-n-strude, metal carriage & effector
Duet v.8.5.0
24v MeanWell 750w PS & Cydom D1D40 SSR in parallel with stock 12v PS

Return to “The Build Zone”