Connecting the fans to the hot ends with connectors

Start your own build thread so others can see how it's going, and even help out!
DaMiTsDeLuCa
Noob

Connecting the fans to the hot ends with connectors

Post by DaMiTsDeLuCa »

Hello,

I just wanted some advice on the best way to connect these fans to the hot end. I Have recently completed my rostock max v2 it needs a little tweaking in the settings for the the print quality, otherwise i cant complain. I have to connect these fans up to the hot end. and I would rather not solder up the wires but have detachable connectors, just incase i need to take them off, and i don't have a soldering iron to hand. can any one recommend some appropriate connectors that i can apply to both fans for the hot end?

does that make sense? if not i will be happy to post pictures.

thank you
Dale Eason
Printmaster!

Re: Connecting the fans to the hot ends with connectors

Post by Dale Eason »

I used connectors I found in the hobby shops for RC stuff. Any 2 pin connector will work for each fan.
Dale
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Post by DeltaCon »

Yes. Small RC power connectors or JST style connectors are fine. Just beware if you want to make the heater connectable too (and why would you not want that?). In that case you need higher rated connectors. Many here use XT-60's, but lately I came across the XT-30 connector (less bulky).
JST XT connectors.png
Deans Connector.png
Deans Connector.png (91.21 KiB) Viewed 4100 times
I am DeltaCon, I have a delta, my name is Con, I am definitely PRO delta! ;-)
Rostock V2 / E3D Volcano / FSR kit / Duet 0.6

PS.: Sorry for the avatar, that's my other hobby!
nebbian
Printmaster!

Post by nebbian »

Servo connectors (also called DuPont connectors) are great for most things on the hotend. JST's should be fine for the heater... but to be on the safe side, it's better to use an XT30 as mentioned above.

I use an XT30 for the heater, servo connectors for everything else on the umbilical. It works fine.

I use an XT30 connector for the heat bed as well, with a servo connector on the thermistor. It makes life easy when you want to pull the heatbed off without it dangling by the wires.

The nice thing about servo connectors is that you can easily get a pack of the connectors, with uncrimped pins, and just crimp them onto your existing wires. I haven't been able to find the same thing in a JST version.
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

I use JST connectors for my fans and light ring. For the hot end, I use Dean's connectors.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2

Return to “The Build Zone”