HE280 Layer Fan Shroud Mods

Start your own build thread so others can see how it's going, and even help out!
Ravitch
Printmaster!

HE280 Layer Fan Shroud Mods

Post by Ravitch »

Has anyone printed out and tried the following layer fan mod? Looks pretty good, think I'm going to give it a go.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2024656
Attachments
f59d693cc93d0a6c25160279e88f38e1_preview_featured.jpg
CaptainMerica
Printmaster!

Re: HE280 Layer Fan Shroud Mods

Post by CaptainMerica »

We printed them out of PLA, and even with print settings that weren't tuned well at the time leaving the parts messy, they cleaned up easy enough and snapped into place. Haven't had any issue with them coming off, and it does feel like the air is blowing in towards the nozzle, much closer than without these. No interference with arms or towers even when running the full calibration wizard program's movements.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

I'm curious to see how long the PLA ones last before starting to deform. I printed 12 of them out of ABS on a 0.4 Volcano, and they look like crap. I suspect it's because I'm expecting too much out of the Volcano. :)

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
dsl158
Printmaster!

Post by dsl158 »

geneb wrote:I'm curious to see how long the PLA ones last before starting to deform. I printed 12 of them out of ABS on a 0.4 Volcano, and they look like crap. I suspect it's because I'm expecting too much out of the Volcano. :)

g.
Yeah Im using an HE280 and they look terrible no matter how I print it.
morgandc
Printmaster!

Post by morgandc »

How well do the work? If a person likes them enough you could have them printed out of aluminum on shapeways or somewhere similar.
djarmag
Printmaster!

Post by djarmag »

I use this design on my v3 and they work well. I printed them flat as well, but the only issue is clearance, I had to sand mine down a bit so the bottom doesn't come in contact with anything.
CaptainMerica
Printmaster!

Post by CaptainMerica »

To update, one of the ones I printed in PLA has cracked / warped now, which caused it to pop off halfway, making it hang down and snag the part being printed and rip it off the bed.

Would not advise printing these out of PLA, and maybe a good improvement would be if they had a way to screw on a retaining strap going across the top sides of the fans, so if the little corner hooks slip they don't pop off. But it may not have been a problem if printed in ABS.

I did end up printing them vertically (thin tapered spout end upward, as a diamond orientation) using a raft, and compared to the ones I printed horizontal (same orientation they end up mounted in) the profile finish was much better standing up, so I would advise to print that way even though it seems counter-intuitive.

Return to “The Build Zone”