How does one remove dampers from stepper motors?

Start your own build thread so others can see how it's going, and even help out!
codenomad
Noob

How does one remove dampers from stepper motors?

Post by codenomad »

I ordered a set of stepper motors from ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/320842713273?ss ... 363wt_1398). They arrived with dampers on them. I've been trying to remove the dampers, but the toothed tip on the center pin won't come off.

Is there a trick to removing these?

Thanks!
michaellatif
Printmaster!

Re: How does one remove dampers from stepper motors?

Post by michaellatif »

You need a pulley extractor, those are most likely brass press fit on the shafts. Can probably get away with an automotive pulley extractor. Or you can carefully use a small pry-bar/hammer to pull/lift the pulleys off.
Mike Latif
H-1 #3
Eric
Printmaster!

Post by Eric »

The danger of prying between gear and motor is that the stress on the bearing/internals of the motor risks damage. However, it's better than the hammer and punch approach that you might think of....that's almost guaranteed to hurt a small motor like this.

I've not seen an automotive puller that would work. The RC hobby industry does have a few that are designed for stuff this small.
If you have a drill press, it's easy enough to rig up something that would work...a slotted plate or a couple heavy nails on blocks to support the gear, and a reversed drill bit of the right size (4-5mm) to push the shaft out.
Another possibility is getting the motor cold in the freezer, heating the gear with a torch briefly, then see if it will pull off with pliers.

If you don't mind destroying the gear, a small nut splitter would work.
Or careful work with either a drill or dremel tool (vice grips to keep gear from turning) to weaken one side enough to slip off. Careful not to drill into the shaft!
Or if you have a hydraulic press or some kind of heavy crushing tool, you might be able to just crush the gear off the shaft.

All those ideas are at your own risk, of course...
kilroyo
Printmaster!

Post by kilroyo »

I had a set of these , and wow are they a pain in the rear to get off, I think I ended up messing one up. If you cant make a puller to pry them off, then I would cut them off. Beating them out and your asking for trouble. Suprised no one makes a little puller for these. Who knows maybe someone does?
Eric
Printmaster!

Post by Eric »

If you want to make your own puller, here's one way to do it:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Cheap-a ... /?ALLSTEPS
tom10122
Printmaster!

Post by tom10122 »

Get a hacksaw and get cutting

Return to “The Build Zone”