Going to Build using the Max Metal Frame...no kit

Start your own build thread so others can see how it's going, and even help out!
Aflac
Printmaster!

Going to Build using the Max Metal Frame...no kit

Post by Aflac »

Hi All,
I am getting ready to start building my first delta printer. I really like the rostock max, however i do not want to use the kit, I am planning on buying all the components myself, that way i can put all the options and craziness i want in from the get go.

My plan is to have it build on the Trick Laser Max Metal Frame.

I started my planning in a spreadsheet where I went through the rostock max v2 build manual and listed all the parts needed. I then made another column for things i wanted to replace or upgrade (the two columns for kit vs upgrades was so i could price out how much of the kit i was using to see if i would be better of just starting with the kit...turns out I am replacing so much the kit would not help me much).

Then I figured out all the changes and other fun I wanted to do and listed it all out (there are a few places I have duplicates because I am still on the fence on a few things, and I put some extra screws and nuts and things in). This was done mainly through reading many many build threads on this site and taking what I wanted from each.

Next I searched the internet for places to buy the parts. put all the prices and links to the pages to buy it all.

That left me with this spreadsheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Green are things I either already have or decided I did not need, Red are things I found no source for...which as of now is only the 15 tooth gear for manually operating the extruder motor, but I am pretty sure I can just print that.

The chances that I have a wrong part or have done something stupid on this list are pretty high. So if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

I am planning on waiting until the Max Metal Frames are orderable again and then I will start ordering my parts. Hopefully that gives me enough time to find the places were I could have chosen better.
Aflac
Printmaster!

Re: Going to Build using the Max Metal Frame...no kit

Post by Aflac »

The main thing I have not figured out is a floor and ceiling for the build chamber.
Earthbound
Printmaster!

Post by Earthbound »

You'll have a ton of fun building your personalized machine. I think the Max Metal frame is an excellent foundation. I would have based my 2nd printer on that frame if it had been available at the time. Sadly, I pulled the trigger just a couple of weeks early.

I bought only the wood parts, aluminum T-slot sticks, and Onyx bed from SeemeCNC. Most of the small hardware was sourced from ebay. Since I already had a mostly stock Max v2, I was able to print many of the items I needed to build the customized 2nd machine.

I had to have a set of Trick Trucks from Tricklaser, who also sold me a Prometheus hot end.

Tridprinting is a good source for some parts (CF arm kit, geared stepper for extruder, etc.)
"Trust no quote from the Internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Aflac
Printmaster!

Post by Aflac »

Earthbound wrote:You'll have a ton of fun building your personalized machine. I think the Max Metal frame is an excellent foundation. I would have based my 2nd printer on that frame if it had been available at the time. Sadly, I pulled the trigger just a couple of weeks early.

I bought only the wood parts, aluminum T-slot sticks, and Onyx bed from SeemeCNC. Most of the small hardware was sourced from ebay. Since I already had a mostly stock Max v2, I was able to print many of the items I needed to build the customized 2nd machine.

I had to have a set of Trick Trucks from Tricklaser, who also sold me a Prometheus hot end.

Tridprinting is a good source for some parts (CF arm kit, geared stepper for extruder, etc.)
Yeah there is something appealing about having a machine that is very uniquely mine. My current problem had a lot of problems it out gate and I've had to almost rebuild....or at least re assemble it in order to get it working, which has taught me enough to make me comfortable attempting this build, but no matter how much I repair this printer it will never be mine like this new build will be.

Part of me wishes I had gone this route in the beginning and not wasted all this time and money on the other one....but I did not know enough then so never could have.
Aflac
Printmaster!

Post by Aflac »

Question for you guys that know what your doing.

I was looking at this stepper motor https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10846" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I noticed that it's listed for 3v, will that work running off a smoothie board with a 24v power supply our would I need one like this
http://www.omc-stepperonline.com/09deg- ... p-122.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's listed as 12-24v?
Earthbound
Printmaster!

Post by Earthbound »

The stepper motor voltage rating is an area of common confusion. Google "stepper motor voltage" for the explanation.

In short, the Sparkfun motor will work.
"Trust no quote from the Internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

Here's a good source for steppermotor basics http://www.geckodrive.com/support.html
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
Aflac
Printmaster!

Post by Aflac »

Mac The Knife wrote:Here's a good source for steppermotor basics http://www.geckodrive.com/support.html
calling that paper stepper motor basics is comical. Either that is not basic or I have forgotten way to much since college....probably the later. but thanks for the link...it will probably take me a while but ill parse what that means.
jlmccuan
Printmaster!

Post by jlmccuan »

Not sure, looking at your spreadsheet, but make sure you account for shipping. It really adds up when sourcing from several vendors.
Aflac
Printmaster!

Post by Aflac »

jlmccuan wrote:Not sure, looking at your spreadsheet, but make sure you account for shipping. It really adds up when sourcing from several vendors.
Yeah I hadn't run the shipping math yet, once I get happy with my list I'll sort by vendor add things to carts and figure out what shipping is.....and at some point see if anything is available on Amazon prime.....Amazon seems great for everything except my hobbies
Aflac
Printmaster!

Post by Aflac »

So I need to stop reading the internet. I keep reading about controller options and I can't seem to decide what to do. Smoothie board seems like it would be a great option and with all the work on the auto calibration stuff seems like it has nearly everything I want.

I do keep looking at the alligator board but I'm not sure about it,seems like it could be a good option if it could run smoothie ware for the fun auto calibrate stuff.

If course I also have been reading about bbb and replicape, quick seems like a good option because I would not need to attack a raspberry pi to it to get camera and untethered operation and fun stuff like that.

Then the Intel Edison looks cool too. I saw someone who hooked it up to a ramps and used it to control a printer, that seems cool and would seem to have some good scalability into the future.

Smoothie board would probably be the easiest. But I never was one for always going the easy route
gestalt73
Printmaster!

Post by gestalt73 »

Your best option for a controller board really is Smoothieboard + 626Pilot's auto calibration fork of the firmware.

The smoothie is solid, well supported, and awesome in it's own right, but paired up with the new calibration routines, and it's no contest.
Aflac
Printmaster!

Post by Aflac »

Yeah all the evidence does point that way. And it is and lots stuff thatreally pulls smoothie ahead and using something else would be dependent on being able to replicate his algorithms and methods or something similar on another board. Which might be a fun project for something like the Edison.

Perhaps I'll start with the smoothie board get it all working and get my hands on an Edison and see what I can do with it. Seems like something I would want to get familiar with for some projects anyway.

The only downside of the Edison seems to be no video out support, but it's designed for things that don't really need that, and honestly our printers do not really need that.

So the research will continue.....on my phone for now since I'm out of town for a while and forgot my tablet on the counter at home and don't have a computer with me.

But I am close to starting to order parts, and will probably start as soon as the frame from trick laser becomes available again.
Aflac
Printmaster!

Post by Aflac »

Well I just discovered done info online about the smoothie board 2. They took smoothie and are improving everything and throwing an Intel Edison onto it....that seems perfect for what I want....if only I knew when it was going to come out so I could know if I should wait for it or not, but he posted that he was not going to do release date info after the delays on the first board.
Aflac
Printmaster!

Post by Aflac »

https://plus.google.com/+ArthurWolf/posts/MEPqaThEaRq" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's the info I found for the curious
Renha
Printmaster!

Post by Renha »

smoothie board 2 wouldn't have Edison
smoothie board 2 Pro would
3D printing is magic!

Sorry my engrish :-/ you could PM me in Russian.
Aflac
Printmaster!

Post by Aflac »

Renha wrote:smoothie board 2 wouldn't have Edison
smoothie board 2 Pro would
True true, I miss spoke you are correct, but it is cool. The 2 is mostly the same as the 1 with an upgraded processor and a could things like that, so they should both be pretty good.
ZakRabbit
Printmaster!

Post by ZakRabbit »

Just wanted to give a head's up, I just talked to Brian, and although it says it's on backorder, you can add one to your cart. Put your order in so that you're on the list if you haven't already.
Aflac
Printmaster!

Post by Aflac »

Yeah I've been checking it daily, saw it popped up today and out in an order.....that makes the orders with Brian in the last few days. I was waiting for the frame to be orderable again. Then I learned about the effector platform he was making and so staggered waiting for that....but I was also watching his stock on the prometheus hot end, I didn't know how often he would get stock of that in so when that got down to 1 I out in an order....Then just a few days later the effector platform dropped on his site so I ordered immediately because I knew he wad only getting a few I at first....and now today the frame is orderabable again...ha. I have been thinking about waiting until the new versions of the smoothie board drops but that looks like it's a long way off so I probably won't wait.
Aflac
Printmaster!

Post by Aflac »

Well my first parts from trick laser arrived....now I need to clean the garage so I have a place to work on this...fun times.
ZakRabbit
Printmaster!

Post by ZakRabbit »

Aflac wrote:Well my first parts from trick laser arrived....now I need to clean the garage so I have a place to work on this...fun times.
Ohhhhhh!!! That means mine should be here soon! Bring on the pictures! I wound up with the 5X simply because both robotseed and uberclock were out of the 4X.
Aflac
Printmaster!

Post by Aflac »

I've tried to upload a picture from my tablet but it just didn't seem to work...I'll upload one next time I'm at my computer
Aflac
Printmaster!

Post by Aflac »

ok i thought it was my tablet, but every time i try to upload a picture i go to upload attachement, choose the file, click add the file, then it goes to a white screen and does nothing....what am i doing wrong?
forrie
Printmaster!

Post by forrie »

Just upload the image to imgur.com and link to that
I'm not an alcoholic...I'm Australian!
Aflac
Printmaster!

Post by Aflac »

Finally took some pictures. My build is almost done. The only thing I'm missing is the fsr mounts which a friend of mine is milling for me, once he finishes those I'll be able to finish very quickly. I have tested all the motors and heaters and everything seems to be working
Attachments
IMG_20160315_095717.jpg
IMG_20160315_095727.jpg
IMG_20160315_095741.jpg
IMG_20160315_095753.jpg

Return to “The Build Zone”