Building Rostock MAX V2 with almost all tricklaser upgrades

Start your own build thread so others can see how it's going, and even help out!
ramai
Printmaster!

Building Rostock MAX V2 with almost all tricklaser upgrades

Post by ramai »

IT HAS ARRIVED
IT HAS ARRIVED
I've been saving up all my pennies for this puppy. I purchased it from MatterHackers since they are a local outfit.

Unpeels the tapes
Unpeels the tapes
I decided painting wasn't in the cards for me. Step 1, unpeel the tape. It took me about 2 hours while watching National Treasure.
pile'o'tape
pile'o'tape
I would have thought the final pile would be bigger, but I finally finished peeling and Nicholas Cage saved the declaration of independence.
built from the ground up
built from the ground up
Bottoms together. Kids are about to get home, so that's it for today.
solder? really? why the "L"
solder? really? why the "L"
My first solder! I'm more proud than I should be I think.
Tower 1
Tower 1
the 18 gauge wire did not have the secret "fish" inside the wire. I ended up using filament
Tower x3
Tower x3
only to find the secret fish hiding in the 22 gauge wire. And it was most helpful too!
THUG LIFE
THUG LIFE
Obligatory selfie with a major milestone completed. This thing is WAY bigger than I thought!
Extrude life
Extrude life
I realized later that I installed this extruder backwards. This extruder is pretty danged cool. I think I might need some dampeners for it though. I put cork on the other motors, but the kit only came with 3. Maybe some squishy washers on the bottom screws would keep it from rattling.
CARBON FIBER OOOOOOH
CARBON FIBER OOOOOOH
Now these things feel niiiiiiice. HOWEVER, they are the absolute hardest thing to install!
Rostock MAX V2 with trick trucks, cf arms, prometheus hot end, nimble extruder, berdAir cooling.
Cura slicer, Duet Wifi, iMac
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Building Rostock MAX V2 with almost all tricklaser upgra

Post by geneb »

You didn't install it backwards. :)

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
ramai
Printmaster!

Post by ramai »

Screw you screws!
Screw you screws!
I know what you are thinking: "that doesn't look very hard" but what you don't realize is it's not just a nylon washer that you have to use a small wrench 1/4 turn at a time on, it's a bunch of nylon washers! This took me HOURS!
it's "STOCK!"
it's "STOCK!"
Yeah, I put it together just to put it together, but I've got a prometheus lined up. This will be a spare.
"and this one goes here Papa"
"and this one goes here Papa"
It can be helpful having little kids around when you do your wiring. They seem to know where everything goes.
"Big things have small beginnings"
"Big things have small beginnings"
And here is the prometheus installed. This thing is slick. You don't need any ATV, there is a customizable heat zone, the PEEK fan bolts directly to it so you don't need a shroud, and it just looks awesome!
Also, I have here the carbon fiber standoffs. I'm thinking about nixing them though and dropping my hotend as low as it goes like all the cool kids are doing.
piggy back ride!
piggy back ride!
This shows the LED top hat hitching a ride with the heating resistor wiring.
"click click aaaaah"
"click click aaaaah"
So instead of soldering the wiring, I opted for the detachable method. 4 pin molex connectors x2 means I can change my mind later :D
One connector is for the hotend and thermistor, the other is for the fans.
'Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.'
'Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.'
And behold, the thing is done. It took me a long time to do this, but just deciding how I was going to do it took the longest. I also piggy backed the LED light ring onto the peek fan wiring.
Rostock MAX V2 with trick trucks, cf arms, prometheus hot end, nimble extruder, berdAir cooling.
ramai
Printmaster!

Post by ramai »

Finished!
Finished!
Yay! It took my waaaay over 20 hours. Haha, I'm slow.
Go pig or go home right?
Go pig or go home right?
Calibrated, and now for my first print! This is a piggy bank for the kids to collect their coins.
How has it not fallen off?
How has it not fallen off?
I am SUPER impressed by this printer! How did the pig make it this far??
piggy piggy piggy piggy
piggy piggy piggy piggy
And we made it! That last like 30 minutes of a super long print is torture. I had to leave the room because I couldn't take it. I thought for sure it would get kicked off the plate during the last few layers.

I didn't yet print the layer fan, but I can only imagine it would improve the print. This pig aint too shabby but I do notice a little rippling on some of the steeper angles.
626Pilot
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by 626Pilot »

Very nice build! I took well over 20 hours to finish my Rostock MAX v1. When I was building it, instead of the EZ-Struder, there was this enormous bulky thing with all these gears and cogs. That thing alone took 1/2 hour to assemble!

I like the hot end mounted low. Makes it easier to see what it's doing, doesn't it!
ramai
Printmaster!

Post by ramai »

Thanks 626!
You were actually one of the inspirations behind dropping mine and I think you are right. I don't think I'll ever hit the height limit but I'm keeping my standoffs just in case.
I'm working with the layer fan now trying to find something that really works well.

Return to “The Build Zone”