Pulled the Pin...

Start your own build thread so others can see how it's going, and even help out!
ZakRabbit
Printmaster!

Pulled the Pin...

Post by ZakRabbit »

Very similar to Aflac, I just placed my order with Brian at TrickLaser today; frame, arms, max plate, Flyin' Strude, Trick Trucks, all the way through to the Prometheus, also included my order with Open Builds filling in the Trick Trucks, belts, switches, etc...
So far, the plan is for .9 steppers, I'm still debating on the electronics: it seems Smootieboard is the way to go any thoughts as to whether Azteeg has a little edge over the "standard" Smoothie? I know this is highly irregular and highly ill advised, but this is my first build and I'll just take it slow, ask a lot of questions, and keep everybody up on my failures until I get it right! Thank you all for your support, your guides and your patience! Pics will be posted as it all comes in!
Zak
Aflac
Printmaster!

Re: Pulled the Pin...

Post by Aflac »

Guess we had similar ideas. I've had a lot of internal debate on the electronics as well. But I ended up deciding on the smoothie, mostly due to 626pilots auto calibration stuff and what I've seen on the next gen smoothie stuff....ideally I would wait for that, but who is patient enough for that.
ZakRabbit
Printmaster!

Post by ZakRabbit »

Hey, great minds, right? I was just wondering straight smoothie or does the Azteeg do anything "better?" I say this now, and I'm sure it'll change, but not planning on multiple hot ends or anything, I'm just looking for accuracy as we'll be printing prototype fitment parts.
forrie
Printmaster!

Post by forrie »

Def get a Smoothie over the Azteeg.
I'm not an alcoholic...I'm Australian!
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

forrie wrote:Def get a Smoothie over the Azteeg.

Why??
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
ZakRabbit
Printmaster!

Post by ZakRabbit »

Mac The Knife wrote:

Why??
The more research I do, the more I find the Azteeg seems to have some reliability issues.
ZakRabbit
Printmaster!

Post by ZakRabbit »

Just ordered three .9 motors and one 5:1 geared unit for the extruder. Been reading way too much mhackney... ;-)
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

ZakRabbit wrote:Just ordered three .9 motors and one 5:1 geared unit for the extruder. Been reading way too much mhackney... ;-)
Which motors did you order?
ZakRabbit
Printmaster!

Post by ZakRabbit »

Jimustanguitar wrote:
ZakRabbit wrote:Just ordered three .9 motors and one 5:1 geared unit for the extruder. Been reading way too much mhackney... ;-)
Which motors did you order?
Are we allowed to give the website name? I don't want to step on any toes, but here are the p/n's:

3 x 0.9deg Nema 17 Bipolar Stepper Motor 2A 46Ncm 17HM19-2004S
(17HM19-2004S) = US$ 40.35
1 x Gear Ratio 5:1 Planetary Gearbox With Nema 17 Bipolar Stepper
17HS15-1684S-PG5 (17HS15-1684S-PG5) = US$ 29.10
------------------------------------------------------

And, of course, I ordered a FSR kit before finishing 626pilot's thread, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do as far as a probe for calibration. I'm thinking of how to spring-mount the Prometheus so that it's sturdy enough to print with yet will move when I want to probe without breaking the glass or denting the PEI.
forrie
Printmaster!

Post by forrie »

ZakRabbit wrote:
Mac The Knife wrote:

Why??
The more research I do, the more I find the Azteeg seems to have some reliability issues.
That's why...
ZakRabbit
Printmaster!

Post by ZakRabbit »

I'm guessing that I need the X4 at a minimum, yes? I know I say this now, but I'm not planning on multi-head/multi-color stuff, I just want something that's accurate.
ramai
Printmaster!

Post by ramai »

following along
Rostock MAX V2 with trick trucks, cf arms, prometheus hot end, nimble extruder, berdAir cooling.
Cura slicer, Duet Wifi, iMac
Aflac
Printmaster!

Post by Aflac »

ZakRabbit wrote:I'm guessing that I need the X4 at a minimum, yes? I know I say this now, but I'm not planning on multi-head/multi-color stuff, I just want something that's accurate.
I'm planning on the x5 just in case I want to upgrade later.....and I have an irrational need to have the best
ZakRabbit
Printmaster!

Post by ZakRabbit »

Aflac wrote:
ZakRabbit wrote:I'm guessing that I need the X4 at a minimum, yes? I know I say this now, but I'm not planning on multi-head/multi-color stuff, I just want something that's accurate.
I'm planning on the x5 just in case I want to upgrade later.....and I have an irrational need to have the best
Totally understand! I'm thinking of going with the onboard regulator as I'm not going to have a separate lcd or anything, it'll be plugged into a desktop at all times.
ZakRabbit
Printmaster!

Post by ZakRabbit »

Moving right along, I HAD to buy something from SeeMeCNC, so I ordered the heated bed, boro glass plate, and an EZ-struder... I think I've decided on the Smoothie X4, now it's down to power supply. Pollygonhell was great in another thread, and with his advice I think I'm going to go with a LED PSU, possibly two: a 12V for the board, hot end, steppers, and, a 24V for the bed.

Edit: just ordered the PEI print surface, two sheets of the 12 X 12, and bought a six-pack of the 12 x 12 3M adhesive so if anyone is about to do this, let me know I'd love to share whatever extra sheets I have to further the cause.
ZakRabbit
Printmaster!

Post by ZakRabbit »

Quick question, is some sort of LCD screen considered a necessity, or something that's nice to have? I'm facing building the machine here at home, probably setting it up here using Linux but actually running it at work on a Windows machine. Any opinions?
Tincho85
Printmaster!

Post by Tincho85 »

You will miss Z calibration and SD card.
But yea, you can use it without the LCD screen.
Martín S.
ZakRabbit
Printmaster!

Post by ZakRabbit »

Tincho85 wrote:You will miss Z calibration and SD card.
But yea, you can use it without the LCD screen.
Does losing the Z calibration still hold true when using 626pilot's smoothieware? I have an FSR kit coming, and will be using the X4 board. Thank you all for your input!
forrie
Printmaster!

Post by forrie »

Get the GLCD, mounting pcb, and a couple of 1A voltage regulators from robotseed. It makes setting Z a whole heap easier.
ZakRabbit
Printmaster!

Post by ZakRabbit »

forrie wrote:Get the GLCD, mounting pcb, and a couple of 1A voltage regulators from robotseed. It makes setting Z a whole heap easier.
I'll have to do that, then, thank you! I know Uberclock offers the 1 1A regulator, is there a place for a second on the smoothieboard? As I'm in the 'States, I don't know if I'm "allowed" to buy from robotseed, and Uberclock is currently out of their glcd's, are there any alternatives that can be recommended? Viki V2, possibly?
Last edited by ZakRabbit on Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
forrie
Printmaster!

Post by forrie »

Yep...Solder one on the pcb and one on the smoothie.
ZakRabbit
Printmaster!

Post by ZakRabbit »

forrie wrote:Yep...Solder one on the pcb and one on the smoothie.
pcb of the shield adapter?
forrie
Printmaster!

Post by forrie »

ZakRabbit
Printmaster!

Post by ZakRabbit »

ZakRabbit
Printmaster!

Post by ZakRabbit »

Just placed the order with robotseed for the 5x, the sheild/glcd "kit", and two of the 1A regulators. Jumped the gun at reprapdiscount for a single GLCD display so I'll have one for sale once it arrives. Getting closer. Just gotta get the PSU(s) and I'll have all the parts ordered...

Return to “The Build Zone”