UPS lost my printer!

Start your own build thread so others can see how it's going, and even help out!
TMIB
Printmaster!

UPS lost my printer!

Post by TMIB »

I have been wanting to order a printer kit for a while now, and finally decided last week to pull the trigger. No one showed a Rostock in stock on their site though. So I called MatterHackers to ask when they would get a kit in.... and they had *just* gotten a shipment of units in that morning! So I put in an order, and they shipped it out the next day. (Also got an E3D v6 hot end w/mount, and a set of vibration dampeners).

So I watched my UPS tracking closely... and with much anticipation.

Friday night, 7:00. I had my workbench all set up with my tools, ready to start as soon as it arrived, and with the whole weekend free to start my build. UPS says "Out for delivery".

Friday night, 8:00. I sit in my front room, just so I will hear when the truck pulls up.

Friday night, 8:45. No truck yet.

Friday night, 9:00. "your package has been delivered. Parcel left at front door." Uh, no, that's not right. I've been sitting here the whole time.

I go out and quadruple-check to see if somehow it was delivered by ninjas. I look all over my porch, around my driveway, etc. I then start walking up and down my street, peering over hedges and eyeing my neighbors porches for packages.

Friday night, 9:30. I call UPS customer service and start a claim. There were 3 other packages that also show as delivered (my PEI base from Amazon, a package from McMaster-Carr, and a package of craft stuff for my wife.) none of which showed.

My guess (hope) is that the driver just got lazy and scanned the packages before actually delivering them, and that they are still on the truck. But I'm pretty worried that UPS just gave someone else my printer!

I hope that it'll turn up tonight, and I can turn this into an actual build thread, but in the meantime, my build consists of an empty workbench and some tools.

I also have a set of trucks coming from TrickLaser, as well as a heat spreader.
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: UPS lost my printer!

Post by teoman »

Oh dear. That is a very unfortunate start to your adventure.

I recommend you build it stock and then do the upgrades. The manual will be easier to follow. You will be able to get help much easier from the forum. And when you do perform the upgrade you will have a feeling for the printer and know exactly what you are doing.

I hope you are hnited with your printer soon.
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
TMIB
Printmaster!

Post by TMIB »

teoman wrote:Oh dear. That is a very unfortunate start to your adventure.

I recommend you build it stock and then do the upgrades. The manual will be easier to follow. You will be able to get help much easier from the forum. And when you do perform the upgrade you will have a feeling for the printer and know exactly what you are doing.

I hope you are hnited with your printer soon.
Thanks. I figure I will probably assemble the stock hot end regardless of which one I install first, so I'll have it as a backup. I have read the manual a dozen times or so in anticipation while I wait. I've also been reading these forums every day.

We'll see how things go. I've used a couple of different 3d printers before, done a few electronics projects (either Arduino stuff or ham radio projects) and am pretty handy at building stuff, so I'm not really worried about being able to follow the manual. But I know how these projects can go, and I'm glad to know this forum is available for help.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

So what is the status of your printer?
Did they deliver it yet?
TMIB
Printmaster!

Post by TMIB »

Eaglezsoar wrote:So what is the status of your printer?
Did they deliver it yet?
Nope. No sign of it. They sent a driver to my house the next day with a form for my wife to sign saying that the item was never delivered, but that's it. I called them to check on the status of the investigation and the person on the phone refused to speak with me. "Once a claim has been filed, we can only give information to the shipper." "but I'm the one that opened the claim!" "Sorry sir, once a claim has been filed we can only give information to the shipper."

The status of my tracking number on UPS's site changed to "in Transit" after a couple of days, which got my hopes up. However I was able to eventually get someone from UPS to tell me what that meant via the chat support on their website. It just meant that they have verified it did not reach it's delivery destination (in other words, the form they had us sign.)

So who knows where they actually sent it. The 3 other packages that were supposed to be here that night never showed up either.

Fortunately, the folks at MatterHackers are very cool about it. I have spoken with them twice. Ronda at their support number has been very helpful. She's been talking with UPS on their end, trying to keep pressure on them. If we don't have this resolved by tomorrow afternoon, she is going to ship me out a new one. I will likely pay for expedited shipping to get it by the weekend if it's not too expensive. Since I have Monday off; it would be nice to build the printer this weekend.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

I share of your feelings of anxiety and anger at UPS. These things happen but they should not.
Most of the time it is the UPS driver who delivers to God's know where and filling out his logs as if
nothing has happened. We should not have to deal with the anger, frustration and anxiety. I know that
things will work out for you but you are going through something that you should not. Take Care!
nitewatchman
Printmaster!

Post by nitewatchman »

This sounds a lot like the Modus Operendi of "Porch Pirates" that operated in some of our neighborhoods especially between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Blackbeard and his first mate follows the UPS or FedEx Truck and watches deliveries. When juicy booty is presented and left on the porch, they hoist the Jolly Roger, swoop in, snatch the prize and flee. Houses with circular drives are especially prime pickin's.

While there is a better than even chance that it is just a misdelivery, could also be a snatch and grab especially since the driver marked it delivered at the front door.

Sorry to be a dark cloud.

gary
TMIB
Printmaster!

Post by TMIB »

nitewatchman wrote:This sounds a lot like the Modus Operendi of "Porch Pirates" that operated in some of our neighborhoods especially between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Blackbeard and his first mate follows the UPS or FedEx Truck and watches deliveries. When juicy booty is presented and left on the porch, they hoist the Jolly Roger, swoop in, snatch the prize and flee. Houses with circular drives are especially prime pickin's.

While there is a better than even chance that it is just a misdelivery, could also be a snatch and grab especially since the driver marked it delivered at the front door.

Sorry to be a dark cloud.

gary
Not in this case, I think. I was anticipating the delivery, and was sitting where I would have heard the truck pull up. In fact a good portion of that time I was sitting where I could see my porch. It simply never came.
TMIB
Printmaster!

Post by TMIB »

Update: MatterHackers has been great. They are sending me out a replacement. I decided to pay extra to have it overnighted, so I'll be able to build it this 3 day weekend. I'd wait for regular shipping, but most weeknights I only have about an hour free in the evenings, so weekends are when I can do a build.

Hopefully UPS won't lose it this time! I'll update this thread with progress after it arrives.

Return to “The Build Zone”