Rostock V2 build missing parts

Start your own build thread so others can see how it's going, and even help out!
MaxSC
Noob

Rostock V2 build missing parts

Post by MaxSC »

Hi all,

I m new to this forum so sorry in advance if I'm posting in the wrong section (I considered posting in the 'troubleshooting' section but that seemed top be more for finished build with actual 3d printing issues).

My situation is the following : I m building two Rostock v2 max for a company that already have a couple of these. I have good knowledge of 3d printers and 3d printing in general (own a couple myself, built a few in the past), but have little to no knowledge in the electrical field (besides soldering simple stuff).

From what I've seen, it seems like we got some of the first kits that were shipped after the power adapter was changed from the square computer one to the slimmer rectangular one. The main issue I have is that apparently the transition only happened halfway, meaning that I have the newer version of the power supply with the older laser cut sheets. There is also a bunch of small parts missing from the kit, not sure if those are due to a mistake or to the "transition" as well (12ga wire, crimp connectors and such mostly), which besides slowing down the whole building process are not a huge deal as I was able to get whatever I was missing pretty easily at a local hardware store. The laser cut version issue however, is quite more problematic : at the stage I'm at in the building, I would normally attach the power supply to the base and mount the fan, power plug and power switch on it. Due to having the wrong laser cut parts, I'm facing the following issues :

- There isn't any mounting holes to secure the power supply (as there is a big square hole there which would normally be used to just "drop" the previous power adapter in there). We would most likely not be moving the printers around, so I don't really mind having it just sitting there unattached, I m guessing it shouldn't be a main issue (but may have overlooked something about that).
- I don't have the laser cut plate that you would normally attach the fan, plug and switch onto. This is more problematic for a couple of reasons. First I m guessing that the cooling of the power adapter cannot be completely dismissed, purely for safety reason (but I may very well be wrong, maybe dismissing the whole plate leaves enough room for hot air to escape the base ?). Then the next issue is on the plug/switch part : because this plate is missing (and because of the mix-up in what the kit contains), I don't have any support to mount the electrical outlet plug, or the switch (and don t have the plug included in the kit, I do have another generic plug that I'm guessing could be used to wire it directly). I checked on some of the already built printers (that were built by someone before me who left the company since), and apparently he faced the same issues (mixed up kits). From what I can see this person just dismissed all these issues, left the power adapter sitting freely in the base, and directly hooked up a standard electrical plug directly to the power adapter. He also made the connections to it without any crimp connector or such, just stripping and screwing in place the wires directly on the board.

I'll add a couple pictures of the parts I'm missing and the current setup on the already built printers, but basically my question if the following : is it an issue to bypass some of these steps, and for instance wire the power adapter directly to an electric plug ? Would it work safely and reliably without the fan if instead there is a larger hole in the base due to the plate not being there ?

The printers that were already built are working and seem to be printing reliably, however I'd like to make sure that building the new ones that way won't turn them into a ticking "bomb" where something is going to slowly deteriorate and stop working at some point or another, and that it's also not turning it into an actual ticking bomb by creating a electrical hazard that could lead to an electrical fire or overheating of the board/adapter.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Thanks in advance guys !

Ps : English is not my mother tongue, so I apologize in advance for any language mistakes I may have made.
Windshadow
Printmaster!

Re: Rostock V2 build missing parts

Post by Windshadow »

https://seemecnc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and talk to JJ vis the live chat app at that URL
or call sales at for a corrected shipment would be my advice
SEEMECNC
65695 US HIGHWAY 33
GOSHEN, IN 46526
574.642.3153*
MaxSC
Noob

Post by MaxSC »

Thanks, talking with JJ right now, hopefully he'll be able to fix that out. Regarding the already built printers, any one has some advice on it ? They're working fine (some trouble reaching higher temps but I thought this was due to a bad PID tuning, could that be caused by the wiring ? ), but should I try to fix them as well, or they're not running any 'risk' (of either damaging some of the printer's component or creating a "dangerous" situation) ?
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

I would say that as you get a chance or reason to tear them down and re-build them, that you should add crimp connectors and a medium size cooling fan (perhaps an old computer fan, 90MM or so.) in, to ensure you don't overheat the electronics. If they're not in an air-conditioned environment, or the thermostat is set too warm, sometimes problems have occurred (the old PSU's would shutdown, stepper drivers overheat, ETC.), but due to the design of the components involved, there's been little to no permanent damage to anything but the part (I would re-check the compression terminals on the rambo though, as those can melt/overheat if not well tightened. Those can be replaced though)
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001

Return to “The Build Zone”