Crydom Failure

Check out how others are building and modding their own heated beds
noventix
Printmaster!

Crydom Failure

Post by noventix »

Hi experts

I am trying to wire up a Meanwell 24V power supply, along with a Crydom D1D40 and a 24-12V converter. The converter is working great and the Rambo works as expected, but the Crydom is not operating right. It is registering 24V regardless of whether it is getting a signal or not. Even with nothing connected on the input side, there is 24V present on the output side.

Is the SSR fried? Sadly I bought this used from eBay so am suspecting a faulty unit. I have double checked my wiring and am sure it is all wired correctly. This is someone else's image, but is how I am wired up.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/H5As45t.jpg[/img]
Rostock Max V2. E3D V6 Hotend. E3D Titan Extruder. TrickLaser Carbon Fiber 300mm Arms. TrickLaser MaxMetal Platform. TrickLaser Trick Trucks. TrickLaser Heat Spreader. TrickLaser LED Light Ring. MeanWell SP-500-24. Simplify3D.
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Crydom Failure

Post by Xenocrates »

You've likely bought a cheap clone with a fake badge, if not an outright fake. The Bay of thieves is a bad place to buy low bulk high price parts like SSRs. instead, I suggest you buy a http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=288. They are cheap, and known to work well, even without a heatsink. Mike and several others use them, and they are more than rated for what you're doing.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Post by DeltaCon »

Oeh... Wish I knew that before. I have a Crydom laying around waiting for the next upgrade-time, and got it through ebay as well. I choose the Crydom because it is well advised in this forum. Hop I have a good one...
I am DeltaCon, I have a delta, my name is Con, I am definitely PRO delta! ;-)
Rostock V2 / E3D Volcano / FSR kit / Duet 0.6

PS.: Sorry for the avatar, that's my other hobby!
noventix
Printmaster!

Post by noventix »

Xenocrates wrote:You've likely bought a cheap clone with a fake badge, if not an outright fake. The Bay of thieves is a bad place to buy low bulk high price parts like SSRs. instead, I suggest you buy a http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=288. They are cheap, and known to work well, even without a heatsink. Mike and several others use them, and they are more than rated for what you're doing.
I was worried about that with eBay. Lesson learned. I will check out that unit. Thanks!
Rostock Max V2. E3D V6 Hotend. E3D Titan Extruder. TrickLaser Carbon Fiber 300mm Arms. TrickLaser MaxMetal Platform. TrickLaser Trick Trucks. TrickLaser Heat Spreader. TrickLaser LED Light Ring. MeanWell SP-500-24. Simplify3D.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

The advice from Xenocrates is spot on, I use what he recommends and have no problems.
Those cheap ssr's you find on Ebay have even caught on fire and are NOT recommended for any use.
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

I'm using the Crydom D1D40. I'm sure it can be found cheaper, but I trust Mouser more than ebay.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Cry ... j0cw%3D%3D
noventix
Printmaster!

Post by noventix »

Thanks for the advice all ... I hope at least others can learn from this and avoid eBay for these types of items. The alternative that Xenocrates listed was out of stock, so I ordered a brand new Crydom D1D40 from Arrow Electronics. It should be here by Friday so the build can continue.

I love these forums!
gchristopher
Printmaster!

Post by gchristopher »

Ouch, sorry. The dinosaurs also went with Mouser for a Crydom D1D40. The results were great.
noventix
Printmaster!

Post by noventix »

LOVE the dinosaur build! Can't believe I have not seen that before. Will be referencing that when my replacement Crydom arrives. Thanks!
noventix
Printmaster!

Post by noventix »

I am happy to report that the Crydom from Arrow Electronics works great. Looking at the new one side-by-side with the old, it is now easy to see it was a fake.

Do NOT buy one of these from eBay.
IMBoring25
Printmaster!

Post by IMBoring25 »

In fairness, Crydom has gone through a few different mostly-cosmetic revisions of that SSR. Just looking different doesn't mean the other one was a fake (especially since it was used and would likely have been an older version)...But it doesn't mean it wasn't either.
noventix
Printmaster!

Post by noventix »

Good point. It is quite possible this was a legit unit. I think the message here is that given the importance of this component, it is probably worth the investment in getting a new one from a reputable source.

Return to “Heated Bed How-To's”