Faster Bed II

Check out how others are building and modding their own heated beds
Segrest
Plasticator

Faster Bed II

Post by Segrest »

Hello Everyone,

I own a Max V2 with a HE280 hot end and have been printing with an ASA filament for an outdoor application that requires a 110C bed temperature. Getting the bed up to temperature is really, really, slow... I have read the last couple topics in this forum with some care and the focus seems to have been on using higher voltage or higher current DC power sources to drive the bed controlled with a solid state relay (SSR).

There was also a reference to a Keenovo 110V AC heater bed. This seems a lot more efficient electrically than using DC and would use the same SSR control solution.

Has anyone had any experience with this bed heater? The electrical part is easy, how about the mechanical side?

Bob

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NX ... pldnSite=1
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Faster Bed II

Post by Xenocrates »

I'll tell you two of the reasons it wasn't much used, and point you at http://forum.seemecnc.com/memberlist.ph ... file&u=637 for a guy who's done it (IIRC of course).

1: Mounting. In the V2, the heated bed was semi-structural, and the glass laid on top, meaning that other than the bottom features accounted for in the snowflake design, anything underneath could disrupt the lay of the bed, and it generally wasn't a very neat solution.

2: The V2 had all the electronics in the bottom, meaning that bringing AC to the SSR brought more electrical noise into the printer chassis, where it could trigger the endstops and other ungood-ness.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
Segrest
Plasticator

Re: Faster Bed II

Post by Segrest »

Thank you for the reply!

I decided to use the 24VDC approach due to concerns over physical mounting challenges and it is working well.

I have printed a couple of projects now using ASA filament purchased from 3dxTech.comwith excellent results. The HE280 hot end and 24 volt bed achieve the respective 255/110 degree temperatures that I have been using with no difficulty.

Bob

Return to “Heated Bed How-To's”