(Group Buy) for 7"x7.5" Heated Bed

Check out how others are building and modding their own heated beds
michaellatif
Printmaster!

Re: (Group Buy) for 7"x7.5" Heated Bed

Post by michaellatif »

TKL wrote:Don't worry about the calculations; I am E-Engineer.
Famous last words :-). I don't doubt your engineering skills, but real world experience says that what the board is designed to do will differ (sometimes greatly) from what the board actually does. I do like the board design, is that the top or the bottom?

I would like to see a working prototype, like Eaglezsoar.
Mike Latif
H-1 #3
TKL
Printmaster!

Post by TKL »

Buying a single board is very expensive and I feel pretty sudden the design will work +/-10% of the power I mentioned. I expect to print on the track side and there will be no need for cobber on the other side. Printing on the back side will just stress the PCB more because you will need to make the board much hotter on the track side.
Leeway
Printmaster!

Post by Leeway »

I have the larger heated circuit board and I would not even consider printing directly on it. No matter how it is mounted, it can warp with heat. Glass is what most use. It will heat glass well, but takes a bit longer. A really short time in the scheme of long prints though.
Mine heats up 1/4" Pyrex glass with 14 VDC @ 15 amps to 110 C in less than 5 minutes. That is a 9" x 9" piece of glass with an 8" x 8" PCB.
Lee
TKL
Printmaster!

Post by TKL »

Leeway wrote:I have the larger heated circuit board and I would not even consider printing directly on it. No matter how it is mounted, it can warp with heat. Glass is what most use. It will heat glass well, but takes a bit longer. A really short time in the scheme of long prints though.
Mine heats up 1/4" Pyrex glass with 14 VDC @ 15 amps to 110 C in less than 5 minutes. That is a 9" x 9" piece of glass with an 8" x 8" PCB.
Have you tried gluing it to a stiff glass or other metal on the backside so you still print on the tracks?
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

TKL wrote:Buying a single board is very expensive and I feel pretty sudden the design will work +/-10% of the power I mentioned. I expect to print on the track side and there will be no need for cobber on the other side. Printing on the back side will just stress the PCB more because you will need to make the board much hotter on the track side.
Private messaging for you does not work.
Please send me an email at [email protected]
I need your location and discuss with you how to make this happen
with these boards.
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
Leeway
Printmaster!

Post by Leeway »

TKL wrote:
Leeway wrote:I have the larger heated circuit board and I would not even consider printing directly on it. No matter how it is mounted, it can warp with heat. Glass is what most use. It will heat glass well, but takes a bit longer. A really short time in the scheme of long prints though.
Have you tried gluing it to a stiff glass or other metal on the backside so you still print on the tracks?
No. I wouldn't do that. It is much nicer to be able to remove the print bed quickly for cleaning and ease of removing some parts. Also with the glass, cool down times can be long, so if you wanted to immediately print something else, swap out the glass panes carefully, let the second one heat while the first one cools slowly and start printing again before the first one is ready to remove the part.
Just a much more elegant and convenient setup. More like a tooling plate in a mill.

I find I don't even need a heated bed on PLA parts. Blue tape works great even on big parts. ABS must have a heated bed and Kapton. So far that is all I have gotten to work with any consistency at all on ABS.
Lee
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

TKL wrote:
I would never print directly to the PCB, a piece of aluminum or glass will conduct the heat.
Pyrex is the correct glass use but can be cost prohibitive. McMaster Carr is one source. An 8"x8" piece is $24.62 + shipping Part # 8476K185
Regular glass could work but there is a risk of shattering from the temperature extremes.
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

You wouldn't want to glue anything onto the PCB, whatever you glue onto it will expand at a different rate than the PCB itself and something will either bend or break.
People usually use either tape or clips which gives the surfaces enough scope to move relative to each other.
rotaone
Plasticator

Post by rotaone »

Why can we not use double sided copper board and etch tracks on both sides to achieve the same resistance and heating ability as the large boards?
We then run both sides in series at 12volts, just a thought.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

TKL wrote:Here it is (cobber layer only). The pads looks a bit wrong due to a missing apt file and the led is not added yet. The board is for 12 and 24V actually. The heating tracks are split into two 12V / 60W sections. You put them in parallel for 12V and series for 24V. Don't worry about the calculations; I am E-Engineer.
You responded to my email account and I have sent you several emails, have you received them?
If you did not receive them please leave me a PM and give me an email address where you can be
reached. Thanks.
johnoly99
Printmaster!

Post by johnoly99 »

John here. Whatever qty. you have left to make your minimum order, we'll take them.
michaellatif
Printmaster!

Post by michaellatif »

Woot! Maybe we can talk the SeeMeCNC folks into a higher number to get the cost down even further?? ;-)
Mike Latif
H-1 #3
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

Hey Guys,
If it is not to late, count me in for 1 heater board.

How will the shipping to each of us work?
cost?

~*Brian V
Goshen, IN

H-1 "Little Squirt"
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
MAX METAL Rostock MAX Printer Frame
NEMESIS Air Delta v1 & v2 -Aluminum delta printers
Rostock MAX "KITT" - Tri-Force Frame
GRABER i3 "Slim"
johnoly99
Printmaster!

Post by johnoly99 »

Yeah. Weve been playing with nichrome to make an easy diy bed, but at the prices we are seeing, it makes sense to go this route. I emailed and told him were in for 10 or so to fill the order, and once we all get them and see if were happy, we will work something out to stock a pcb board. Just wanna make sure were happy with these before dropping a big order.
michaellatif
Printmaster!

Post by michaellatif »

johnoly99 wrote:Yeah. Weve been playing with nichrome to make an easy diy bed, but at the prices we are seeing, it makes sense to go this route. I emailed and told him were in for 10 or so to fill the order, and once we all get them and see if were happy, we will work something out to stock a pcb board. Just wanna make sure were happy with these before dropping a big order.
Yeah, I am finding the nichrome wire bed to work, but is not optimal, specially for larger build quantities, its too complex for assembly and much more cost compared to the PCB solution.

If we can hit 100 boards that will drop the cost by 40%, but that is not likely to happen until we have a proven working prototype.
Eaglezsoar and TKL, any updates?
Mike Latif
H-1 #3
michaellatif
Printmaster!

Post by michaellatif »

michaellatif wrote:
johnoly99 wrote:Yeah. Weve been playing with nichrome to make an easy diy bed, but at the prices we are seeing, it makes sense to go this route. I emailed and told him were in for 10 or so to fill the order, and once we all get them and see if were happy, we will work something out to stock a pcb board. Just wanna make sure were happy with these before dropping a big order.
Yeah, I am finding the nichrome wire bed to work, but is not optimal, specially for larger build quantities, its too complex assembly and higher cost compared to the PCB solution.

If we can hit 100 boards that will drop the cost by 40%, but that is not likely to happen until we have a proven working prototype.
Mike Latif
H-1 #3
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

michaellatif wrote:
michaellatif wrote:
Yeah, I am finding the nichrome wire bed to work, but is not optimal, specially for larger build quantities, its too complex assembly and higher cost compared to the PCB solution.

TKL has not been on the Forum since April 24. He is from Denmark and I think that my questions to him made him angry. I was willing to pay for all the boards left after the orders were placed but I wanted a prototype to
be created so that we know that they will work effectively. I am not sure but I think this is a dead issue now unless someone else wants to take over.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

I researched this quite a bit before going down the nichrome wire path. The challenge is finding the proper PCB with a thicker layer of copper than standard boards. I searched until my fingers were blue and could not find a source that had less than a $500 minimum. I am all set up to CNC mill boards and have an untested design. If anyone can find a source for raw PCB let me know.

cheers,
Michael

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
michaellatif
Printmaster!

Post by michaellatif »

mhackney wrote:I researched this quite a bit before going down the nichrome wire path. The challenge is finding the proper PCB with a thicker layer of copper than standard boards. I searched until my fingers were blue and could not find a source that had less than a $500 minimum. I am all set up to CNC mill boards and have an untested design. If anyone can find a source for raw PCB let me know.

cheers,
Michael
Hey Michael,

MPJA usually has decent prices (last I checked) on copper clad boards. Is there a specific thickness of copper or weight you are looking for?

http://www.mpja.com/8in-X-10in-Copper-C ... /14872+DT/

OR

http://www.mpja.com/12in-X-12in-Copper- ... /15537+BD/

Look like something that might work for this purpose?

Thanks,

Mike
Mike Latif
H-1 #3
TKL
Printmaster!

Post by TKL »

Hi all,

I am back from moving home. Unfortunately my ISP took more time than expected to setup internet at my new address :evil:

But it looks like we can order at least 25 boards now. I will get back to you when I have talked to the board factory.
michaellatif
Printmaster!

Post by michaellatif »

Great and thanks for handling the logistics for this TKL!
Mike Latif
H-1 #3
Extrude3D
Printmaster!

Post by Extrude3D »

OP, if you would like to manage this idea better, just use http://www.chipin.com/ to rally funds.

We can establish a new topic and make a 'buyers' list showing who bought what and how many slots are/were available.
-Extrude3D/Brent
michaellatif
Printmaster!

Post by michaellatif »

Extrude3D wrote:OP, if you would like to manage this idea better, just use http://www.chipin.com/ to rally funds.

We can establish a new topic and make a 'buyers' list showing who bought what and how many slots are/were available.
Cool, didn't know that existed.

TKL, let me know when you guys get ready to prototype and collect money.
Mike Latif
H-1 #3
Extrude3D
Printmaster!

Post by Extrude3D »

michaellatif wrote:
Extrude3D wrote:OP, if you would like to manage this idea better, just use http://www.chipin.com/ to rally funds.

Cool, didn't know that existed.

TKL, let me know when you guys get ready to prototype and collect money.
You do need a verified paypal in good standing if you are going to collect many donations individually, use chipin please so you dont get limited :P

I will also purchase a Heated Bed to work with. My Printrboard will love it too :mrgreen:
-Extrude3D/Brent
TKL
Printmaster!

Post by TKL »

My PayPal account is limited to $3.300,00 USD but can be unlimited. I had it for 10+ years so there will hardly be any problems with limits.

Return to “Heated Bed How-To's”