Onyx Rev 2 24 V question

Check out how others are building and modding their own heated beds
mlapaglia
Printmaster!

Onyx Rev 2 24 V question

Post by mlapaglia »

I got a mean well 24v psu, a crydom ssr and a 12v converter to power the rambo. I've read that extra resistance is required between the ssr and the onyx bed. I wasn't sure how much I should add for the Rev 2, everything I've read is for later version boards.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Onyx Rev 2 24 V question

Post by Eaglezsoar »

mlapaglia wrote:I got a mean well 24v psu, a crydom ssr and a 12v converter to power the rambo. I've read that extra resistance is required between the ssr and the onyx bed. I wasn't sure how much I should add for the Rev 2, everything I've read is for later version boards.
No extra resistance is needed.
Could you tell me where you read that?
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

The bed is the resistance or load.
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

I'm running my 24v supply directly through an SSR and into the bed. That's ok to do.

Where you may change the resistance, if you're really picky, is on the drop down resistor for the LED. You can get away without doing it though, it's just the electronics elitists that would tell you that you 'have to' :)
rpress
Printmaster!

Post by rpress »

Does your Mean well supply have adjustable voltage? How many watt is it?

I adjusted my 500W Mean well down to 20.5V so it wouldn't go into current limiting. It worked at 24V, it just made a ton of noise as it was going into a hiccup limiting mode.

If you have a clamp-on DC ammeter you can adjust the voltage until the ammeter shows the rated current of the supply when the bed heat is first turned on. Be sure to measure the 12V converter input too with the hot end warning up and the steppers on.
mlapaglia
Printmaster!

Post by mlapaglia »

Maybe I misread it. If you apply 24v @ 20 amps to the bed will it be too much power?

I got this PSU
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161457595622" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and this SSR
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400732633009" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So just hook them up to the bed and let it roll?

Thanks guys :)
rpress
Printmaster!

Post by rpress »

Yes those are the same ones I used, maybe you got them from my build thread. I don't know the resistance of the rev 2 bed (I have rev 7) but you should probably turn the supply down to around 20V. There is a little adjuster in the corner.
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

Here's another 40A DC SSR option.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009X1 ... UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rpress
Printmaster!

Post by rpress »

Jimustanguitar wrote:Here's another 40A DC SSR option.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009X1 ... UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I bought a 100A Fotek and it was much hotter than my 40A Crydom. There is no way it would truly handle 100A. I'm not sure if all Fotek are mislabeled like this.
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

How many watts are the heated beds rated to?

You cant go too fast. If you were to heat the bed up under a second then the print would start but the heat would not have propagated yet to your build surface...
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

teoman wrote:How many watts are the heated beds rated to?

You cant go too fast. If you were to heat the bed up under a second then the print would start but the heat would not have propagated yet to your build surface...
I have used 400 watts into my revision 6 bed and had no problems but I would not recommend this for other users.

The Mean Well Power supply should be set at approximately 20V output, the SSR should be on a heatsink designed for it.
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

How fast was it at 400W.

And does an official rating exist?
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

Is there also a temperature rating for it?
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

teoman wrote:How fast was it at 400W.

And does an official rating exist?
I think it took a little over 10 minutes to reach 95C and as far as I know, there is no official wattage rating.

If I had to recommend what to use for a first time user, I would recommend running the bed from 12V because I
do not want a new user burning up his heat bed. We know that the bed will handle 20+ volts but to recommend this
would not be best, the chances of a burned out bed is just to great.
rpress
Printmaster!

Post by rpress »

My rev 7 bed draws 23.5A at 20.5V for 482W (cold). It took 190 seconds to go from 17C to 90C. This is with the standard boro glass on top, and the melamine snowflake on the bottom.

Assuming the Onyx is made from FR4 fiberglass, the glass transition temperature is about 130C. So I'd say it's good for 120C.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

rpress wrote:My rev 7 bed draws 23.5A at 20.5V for 482W (cold). It took 190 seconds to go from 17C to 90C. This is with the standard boro glass on top, and the melamine snowflake on the bottom.

Assuming the Onyx is made from FR4 fiberglass, the glass transition temperature is about 130C. So I'd say it's good for 120C.
Wow, that is fast at reaching temperature. I don't have a Rev7 bed but it's resistance must be the lowest of the beds they have produced.
Good job in getting to work so well!
mlapaglia
Printmaster!

Post by mlapaglia »

Do I adjust the power supply to 20 volts when it is or isn't under load?
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

mlapaglia wrote:Do I adjust the power supply to 20 volts when it is or isn't under load?
When it is under load.
mlapaglia
Printmaster!

Post by mlapaglia »

This is where I saw the resistance message: http://seemecnc.com/products/24-volt-onyx-r3-heated-bed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It looks like it might be a special case though since the traces are larger than normal.

12 gauge wire to hook the 24 volts to the heat bed enough?
rpress
Printmaster!

Post by rpress »

12 AWG will work, but it's pushing it. 10 AWG is better.
mlapaglia
Printmaster!

Post by mlapaglia »

Alright I finally had some time to get everything set up. The damn thing heats up to 100C in 5 minutes... Wowza. I know the aluminum spreader and glass take a while to catch up, but that beats 25 minutes with 12V.

My only concern right now is with the PSU. When it kicks on the lights in my room dim. Is the PSU really putting that much of a load on my lines? When the SSR starts switching the lights flicker.. I take this to mean the lines in my house can't handle the current needed to heat the bed, similar to a space heater?
nitewatchman
Printmaster!

Post by nitewatchman »

The p/s should only draw about 7A or so max on the mains side , mine is controlled by an IEC switch fused at 10A.

Something else would seem to be going on. As a matter of a fact, it is a little unusual for the overhead lights and outlets to be on the same circuit unless this is an older house. Electrical Codes in most areas do not approve this.

Are your lights possibly running from the same outlet or an outlet on the same circuit? What else is on the circuit that the printer is drawing from?

It is also possible that if the light is controlled by an electronic device like X-10 or modern equivalent or an electronic dimmer that noise from the p/s could be switching the device.
mlapaglia
Printmaster!

Post by mlapaglia »

We don't have fancy ceiling lights here! These are just floor lamps that plug into the wall. Yes they are on the same circuit. We have another room next to the one the printer is in that flickers, but not as severely. I am not sure if that room is on the same circuit though, I can check. Is it noise that the PSU is generating that is going into the house possibly?
gschora
Plasticator

Post by gschora »

@rpress
did you also modify the bed pid max value?

The reason because I'm asking is, that I also did the conversion to 24V using a Meanwell 600Watt psu and 100A ssr, and I think i just wrecked my v2 Onyx. :-(

When I heat my bed a section in the middle with a diameter of around 10cm stays cool and won't heat.
rpress
Printmaster!

Post by rpress »

gschora wrote:@rpress
did you also modify the bed pid max value?

The reason because I'm asking is, that I also did the conversion to 24V using a Meanwell 600Watt psu and 100A ssr, and I think i just wrecked my v2 Onyx. :-(

When I heat my bed a section in the middle with a diameter of around 10cm stays cool and won't heat.
No, I didn't change the PID max. Did you turn the supply down to 20V or so?

Return to “Heated Bed How-To's”