Watch out for counterfeit SSR's!

Check out how others are building and modding their own heated beds
bob64
Printmaster!

Watch out for counterfeit SSR's!

Post by bob64 »

http://canada.ul.com/safetyalerts/ul-wa ... e-13pn-52/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Saw some of the fotek SSRs being recommended from ebay and found this alert warning of fakes. Granted the pictures show the AC/AC relay, but i'm sure it applies to the other ones you see on ebay.
Rostock Max V2 with mods:
E3d v6 with 713maker mount & e3d titan extruder
Tricklaser CF arms, heat spreader, tricktrucks, fly-n-strude, metal carriage & effector
Duet v.8.5.0
24v MeanWell 750w PS & Cydom D1D40 SSR in parallel with stock 12v PS
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Watch out for counterfeit SSR's!

Post by teoman »

Just had a look at the pictures of the ones that are on the way, and they look pretty much like the fake ones.

I will have to open them up to have a look at what is inside to determine if they are garbage or not.
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
rpress
Printmaster!

Post by rpress »

That explains the crap Fotek SSR I got from eBay. It was rated 100A, and at only 25A it was unreasonably hot. Mine looked like the one in the counterfeit photo.
bob64
Printmaster!

Post by bob64 »

Found a better picture of a real and a fake Fotek.
[img]http://openenergymonitor.org/emon/sites ... s/SCRs.jpg[/img]

The one on the right is a genuine one.
Rostock Max V2 with mods:
E3d v6 with 713maker mount & e3d titan extruder
Tricklaser CF arms, heat spreader, tricktrucks, fly-n-strude, metal carriage & effector
Duet v.8.5.0
24v MeanWell 750w PS & Cydom D1D40 SSR in parallel with stock 12v PS
jdurand
Printmaster!

Post by jdurand »

I've got some that claim to be high quality copies. :)

I once was getting quotes on having a container load of items made in Kuala Lumpor and they sent back the First Article. Looked great, right down to copied the trademarks off the parts I used in the original! I told them to NOT do that, I didn't care what brand parts were as long as they weren't marked with someone else's trademark.
Standing on the edge of reality... (me)
Quando omni flunkus moritati (Red Green)
Let no man belong to another that can belong to himself. (Paracelsus)
All things are poison and nothing is without poison; only the dose makes a thing not a poison. (Ibid.)
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

WARNING THE FAKE ONES WILL BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN!!!!

I just got the 4 fotek ssr's that purchased, they were obviously cheapo copies. I installed one the first one, it started out fine, the led on it was flashing according to the pulses from the rambo. But then i noticed a burning plastic smell. And i noticed that it was stuck on the open position. Tried again, it was dead. The moment you give it a little pulse it just switches to the ON position and never goes off. Shut off the power when bed reached 120 degs.

Removed that relay, checked all wiring. Installed second relay. I switched the power on and smoke came pouring out from one side. Damn.

Installed the third one, same behaviour, the moment it receives any signal from the rambo it switched to the ON position and never stops. And it gets damn hot.

Had i left the room i would have probably burned the house down.

I wont even bother installing the 4th one.

So dont bother with the cheapo ssrs or you will burn your house down. Even my cheapo mossfet solution did much much better. All it needed was a good heatsink and proper wires.

I think i will build a proper one.
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.

Return to “Heated Bed How-To's”