New Ball Cup arms available for Rostock MAX machines!

General info from SeeMeCNC HQ
jjjohnson
SeeMeCNC Staff

Re: New Ball Cup arms available for Rostock MAX machines!

Post by jjjohnson »

NEW FILES!

Hey guys, I have uploaded a couple new fan shroud files to print out for the new Ball-Cup arm upgrade kits!

The PEEK fan shroud is slightly different to eliminate interference with the arms when printing at the full extents of the printers 11" capability: http://repables.com/r/620/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The layer fan shroud is also different to provide additional airflow, redirect the flow, and provide sufficient clearance above the glass plate clips: http://repables.com/r/621/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JJ
briankb
Printmaster!

Post by briankb »

I may have missed it but is there a preview or pics for v3?
- CNC's: Rostock Max upgraded to v3.2, Prusa i3 MK3 MMU, Formlabs Form SLA, Shapeoko3 CNC, Palette+, Palette 2 Pro
- Software: Fusion 360, SpaceClaim Engineer, Simplify3D, Repetier Firmware & Host, VCarve Pro
jjjohnson
SeeMeCNC Staff

Post by jjjohnson »

There has not been a preview posted here on the forum yet, the status is still considered to be in development. As PartDaddy said though, a lot of time has been spent speaking with customers, sifting through the forums, discussions within our team etc in the development of the design. With that said, if you have something specific that think should be addressed/included on a v3 Rostock Max from SeeMeCNC let us know
JJ
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

How about combat pay for the doc writer? :D :D :D

Seriously though, I'll have something up for you guys to chew on tomorrow. The BOM may be a bit wobbly for a day or so, but the docs are already done.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
EL Cuajinais
Printmaster!

Post by EL Cuajinais »

jjjohnson wrote:There has not been a preview posted here on the forum yet, the status is still considered to be in development. As PartDaddy said though, a lot of time has been spent speaking with customers, sifting through the forums, discussions within our team etc in the development of the design. With that said, if you have something specific that think should be addressed/included on a v3 Rostock Max from SeeMeCNC let us know
I think the most talked about issue is the fact that many people can't print to the full extent of the 11" bed. With that said, it just learned today that in the V1, the top melamine plate did not surround the aluminum extrusions on all four sides. This made squaring the towers actually doable. The current design has the towers surrounded by melamine on all sides, preventing making adjustments to the angles because pulling on one tower, pulls the other two. Even so, in my printer the towers are square according to the square ruler required in the tools section of the manual. The print bed is is flat and level according to a bubble level. The horizontal radius is where it should be according to the manual. And yet there are many places where my bed is unusable do to the nozzle rising or dipping too much. I'm sure many here would agree this is the #1 issue to tackle on the V3. (Or better yet provide a fix for V2 owners).

Geared extruder to make the extrusion more consistent and improve print quality. Also make it so that ninja flex is printable out of the box (at slow speeds of course), like some of the extruder mods found on Thingiverse. The spring-arm mechanism should have a screw to adjust tension on the spring. I find myself installing and removing a spacer on the spring to change the tension. Heatsink on extruder motor to prevent chewing up the PLA due to hot motor/hobbed gear.

LED lighting integrated into the design.

Please give serious consideration to going to 3mm filament. This reduces filament buckling in a long bowden setup like the Max. Especially good for flexible filaments.

Hotend that can go up to Polycarbonate temps would be awesome, but I think I'd be happy enough with 265 C to play with nylons.

Something better-looking than binder clips to hold the bed.

Consider including factory installed PEI out of the box.

Design it so you can add an official SeeMe enclosure, to be sold separately in the future. (Think the magnets on the iPads to install the Apple smart covers)

If price is an issue, consider having two versions of the V3. A standard and a deluxe. The deluxe priced higher and but including all the upgrades. I hate to pay for components I will be eventually throwing out later due to upgrades.

Finally, since from what Part Daddy says, it looks like there will not be an upgrade path from the V2, offer a buyback option for current RMAXV2/V1 owners. We send a well kept V1 or V2 to SeeMe and get a 50% discount towards a V3. You could have an arrangement with prosthetic charities. SeeMe could buy back older printers from your customers and sell them to charitable organizations at discounted prices. I know this would be difficult but it's food for thought.
PartDaddy
Printmaster!

Post by PartDaddy »

EL Cuajinais, you make some good points and have several good suggestions. Several are already done. Let's not rule out a v2 v3 upgrade kit just yet. Anything can be done. The heated bed is mounted and held different. Also, our circuit board mounted hot end is an all metal solution and can reach higher temps. For the EZ Struder, I' might allow a place to put an adjustment nut, but an additional place for adjustment will not help someone new to 3D printing. We have run almost every type of filament (up to 250C) through our stock hot end. Our ABS and PLA settings in matter control were thoroughly tested by Oly. A hob gear hot enough to melt the filament is suggesting something else to me. Too fast can be a problem. And stepper motor current may need turned down just a little. However, don't think I have a def ear to your want of some more professional adjustment. Different manufacturers hot ends, extruders, filament as well as layer, speed, nozzle diameter, etc., are all factors. You also gotta consider die swell at the hot end. I've seen this talked about somewhere on here. Temp, speed, filament type, filament manufacturer. You know the melt flow and type of plastic resin (resin is what you call solid pellets in the professional plastics world) effect so many things. If your resin has a low melt, it's simply gonna push harder through the hot end, no matter who's it is. And the filament manufacturers aren't exactly being open about these details to my knowledge.
~PartDaddy
SeeMeCNC Owner & Founder
Blackpoint Engineering is SeeMeCNC
Since 1996
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

geneb wrote:How about combat pay for the doc writer? :D :D :D

Seriously though, I'll have something up for you guys to chew on tomorrow. The BOM may be a bit wobbly for a day or so, but the docs are already done.

g.
I think you qualify for combat pay especially when you are dealing with bullets. :D
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

Hehe.

The docs are uploaded (no PDF yet) and are under review. When I get approval, I'll post the PDF.

g.
Delta Power!
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

Ordered a set myself. Also, a request for the V3, although it's likely a bit late, or unwieldy to implement. I'd love to have more room in the towers to run wiring, like if we have 80/20 1020 extrusions. It would also mean you could (or OCD third parties) color match the extrusions to the printer somewhat, as they also come in black. I know that it involves changing a huge amount of stuff, starting with the cheapskates, no matter how you do it. But additional rigidity and room to get wires up there easily (also, fully enclosed seperate channels potentially for endstops or thermistors so you can reduce cross talk.) I'd love to see it happen, and want to mention it, but I realize it would increase cost, bulk, and also change a ton of other stuff. It would also really complicate a V2 to V3 crossover kit. Thanks for the great stuff guys, especially Geneb, since you're responsible for so much useful advice, not to mention the superb manual.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
BuckeyeVolunteer
Printmaster!

Post by BuckeyeVolunteer »

Ordered them and got them a couple days later (good service) and have them installed. While I was at it I rebuilt the hot end with new resistors. I found one them had broken at the leads, just for every ones info I had to do the auto tune several times to get the heat to stabilize. I actually seen if I did just one auto tune it usually wasn't right. I found if I did 3 auto tune of the heating I had the last two were pretty close together but I may have had a broken resister lead then and it's probably my fault putting it together.... Haven't tried it yet got busy at work going to set it back up and adjust everything. It movement feels considerably more positive to me than the original ones. I did find a small imperfection on the end of the balls not a big deal probably wouldn't make any difference but I polished it off on all of them. The backlash springs lock the arms very securely. Definitely worth the money. Just a note when you put on the cross bars that hold the arms on they seem to have one side that fits better, and I'm sure it's on purpose, I didn't have any docs when I put them on just figured it out, and they will require a little bit of force to seat them completely.

If you are thinking of a Max version 3 I would suggest a better system to tighten the the belts, I would prefer a belt tensioner. And a 4th pillar to route the wiring on and mount cameras, lights, and whatever.

Thanks, Love the printer!
Bill
PartDaddy
Printmaster!

Post by PartDaddy »

I don't recommend sanding the balls. If you look carefully, there is a flat deliberately put on the parting line of the balls. This leaves a tiny bit of room for minor flash. When injection molding, there can sometimes be flash at the parting line. Our solution was to put a flat around the ball at the parting line. Snap them on first. They'll also wear in. We cut the arm mold twice, adjusted the ball size once, and made three spring molds to get it right. We put over 200 hours on the machine in the lobby moving only at rapid speeds 24/7. It seemed 20 or 30 hours of run-in really just got things seated better. We're really happy with the new improvement and want to see your prints. Post them on the forum!
~PartDaddy
SeeMeCNC Owner & Founder
Blackpoint Engineering is SeeMeCNC
Since 1996
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

New docs are up!

g.
Delta Power!
BuckeyeVolunteer
Printmaster!

yeah I didn't sand them I polished them, got it leveled out working great. Have a good weekend.
crocky
Printmaster!

Post by crocky »

geneb wrote:New docs are up!

g.
Thanks Gene.

My bits are in Melbourne so I guess they will arrive pretty soon, the docs will be handy.....
Bob
Rostock Max V2, Ball Cup Arms, New Carriages, HE280, Dampers, PSU Breathing, Simplify 3D, GeckoTek3D, Raspberry Pi3. Duet soon... Kossel Mini still under construction.
Delta's are the way!
BuckeyeVolunteer
Printmaster!

I printed the new fan holders for the upgrade, the peek fan holder came out great but the layer fan didn't it kept trying to over extrude in the bottom layers where the support should be, clogged up my nozzle both times I tried to print it. Everything else is printing great I have no idea why it's dumping all the filler? Anyone else have any problems?
derzaubererer
Printmaster!

Post by derzaubererer »

i just purchased the new arms and got some questions to the hotend mount
The effector will be the same i guess but will the hotend mount hold my E3D?
Also i have the 50 mm fans that are available in europe since the ones from the Ro STOCK are impossible to get here...
i might need some help building a new mount for my e3d with the new arms
Anyone installed them with an e3d and mind telling me how it went?
if not ill update you all when they arrive here:)

thanks in advance
derzauberererer
jram
Printmaster!

Post by jram »

I have my new carriages ands arms installed. Do I need to change the arm length in the EEprom? I've read about changing the horizontal radius to a starting point of 140 so I know to do that but just wanted to be clear on changing arm length before I run the machine. I'v also read about a bit about carriage offset in the plastic carriages thread. Is this also something I need to consider?
Machines- Rostock Max v2 with E3D v6, Corsair 750 power supply, PEI bed,injection molded carriages and new arms. Aluminum mount. X carve with x controller. Stratasys Uprint SE
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

jram wrote:I have my new carriages ands arms installed. Do I need to change the arm length in the EEprom? I've read about changing the horizontal radius to a starting point of 140 so I know to do that but just wanted to be clear on changing arm length before I run the machine. I'v also read about a bit about carriage offset in the plastic carriages thread. Is this also something I need to consider?

Looks "like" you need to change the Diagonal Rod length to 290.8

http://seemecnc.dozuki.com/Guide/Instal ... 0-15%29/26" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit: typos
Last edited by KAS on Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

For people building the machine from the ground up, this is mentioned in the manual as well.

g.
Delta Power!
derzaubererer
Printmaster!

Post by derzaubererer »

aaaaand their gone :>
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

derzaubererer wrote:aaaaand their gone :>
Hopefully they will have them back in stock shortly. I have a note in to John Oly to see if he knows when they may be back in stock.
derzaubererer
Printmaster!

Post by derzaubererer »

Eaglezsoar wrote:
derzaubererer wrote:aaaaand their gone :>
Hopefully they will have them back in stock shortly. I have a note in to John Oly to see if he knows when they may be back in stock.
i luckily received one of the first 50:)
jram
Printmaster!

Post by jram »

KAS wrote:
jram wrote:I have my new carriages ands arms installed. Do I need to change the arm length in the EEprom? I've read about changing the horizontal radius to a starting point of 140 so I know to do that but just wanted to be clear on changing arm length before I run the machine. I'v also read about a bit about carriage offset in the plastic carriages thread. Is this also something I need to consider?

Looks you need to change the Diagonal Rod length to 290.8

http://seemecnc.dozuki.com/Guide/Instal ... 0-15%29/26" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks, for some reason I was thinking it would be more difficult than that. I was confused by "diagonal" rod length. I think I was just expecting to see arm length.
Machines- Rostock Max v2 with E3D v6, Corsair 750 power supply, PEI bed,injection molded carriages and new arms. Aluminum mount. X carve with x controller. Stratasys Uprint SE
D-G-C
Plasticator

Suggestion for RMAX V3

Post by D-G-C »

I had some problem with the tube from the extruder that is pushed again one arm. I also read in the forum that some had a similar problem as well.

To solve the problem I would feed the tube with the filament from the centre of the top plate. To get the movement done the extruder has to be mount up side down and the tube would be long enough to be in a curve above the plate if the nozzle at Z=0. The cables could as it be. They are not stiff to push significant on the arm.

Better airing where the PSU and the RAMBO are. I added a noiseless fan on one side to get a good air flow.
A larger fan for the RAMBO. The used is too noisy.

Some place to add lights. At the moment I use a torch to see what is happen.

I don't know how accurate are the end stop switch. I found a data sheet with a repetition accuracy +/-0.3mm. A better solution would be forked light barrier with +/-0.01mm. The same solution could be integrated as a Z-probe switch for the auto calibration software from Rolli.
SEBRET
Printmaster!

Post by SEBRET »

Has anyone who switched to the new arms mounted an led ring on the effector yet? I was going to put my TR ring on but it's blocked by the white arm ball things. Just wondering what others did.

Return to “General Announcments”