Need Help with... Not sure what I'm doing.

All about the retired, first generation H-1 3D printers
3D_what?
Noob

Need Help with... Not sure what I'm doing.

Post by 3D_what? »

Ok, I have my printer Physically together, Except for the hot end, But now I would like it to actually do something.

I'm using mach3, on a windows XP laptop... I don't have room for a desktop.

I can't find a Good tutorial on setting up mach3 anywhere, and to be honest, I don't know where to start.

I am looking for someone to guide me the rest of the way.

I work in a machine shop, and understand most of this... But the rest is above my head.

When I finish this project, I'm going to start a YouTube channel, for absolute beginners like me... Because finding information is a complete nightmare.

Thank you in advance.
CIMG3174.JPG
CIMG3175.JPG
CIMG3177.JPG
CIMG3176.JPG
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Need Help with... Not sure what I'm doing.

Post by Nylocke »

Personally, if I were you, I would just skip Mach3 and buy a RAMPS or something and use that instead. In my opinion, Mach3 doesn't fit into the 3D printing community anymore, I'm fairly certain the only reason it was ever used for 3D printing was because there at the time was nothing better than Mach to use for CNC machinery, so they used what they had. Ive had some experience setting up Mach3, but your scenario is likely very different pins wise, and unless you could provide me more information about your controller board, I cant really help you Mach-wise.... RAMPS is very easy to setup, all you need is Arduino on your computer, and Repetier host, then you can upload the Marlin firmware, or the Repetier firmware everyone around here is so crazy about, plug in your steppers, attach some endstops to your machine, plug those in, plug in the thermistor, wire in your hot end, plug your printer into your computer via USB, connect to it via Repetier, and start printing. Either path that you choose, I and anyone else who still roams the H-1 forums would be willing to help I bet. Good luck with the H-1. (PS, a good place to get RAMPS fully assembled would be Ultimachine for around $180 or so https://ultimachine.com/ramps-pre-assem ... t-complete)
3D_what?
Noob

Post by 3D_what? »

Is there a tutorial for the absolute beginner... I'm completely lost on this now.

I'm using the "StarTech 1s1p 54mm Express card with 16550 UART" for my 25 pin connection(RS232?).

It's a dell Inspiron 1525, with windows XP.

The stepper board is the stock TB6560 driver board, with the jumper modifications performed, per the online manual.

I'd like to get it working with mach3... But I will look into the "Ramps" controller, once I save up some play money.

Thank you for the quick response.
kbob
Printmaster!

Post by kbob »

I agree with Nylocke, especially if you're using a laptop. Most laptops do not play well with Mach 3, because Mach 3 needs hard realtime control of the PC, and most laptops have background tasks that you can't turn off. (Simplified explanation.) Mach 3, while very popular for mills and routers, is way outside the mainstream for 3D printers.

There are several good Arduino-like options out there. Nylocke mentioned RAMPs. I'll also mention RAMBo, which is in most of the Rostock MAX printers, Rumba, and Azteeg X3. Google will tell you more, and Reprap.org has the canonical information on all of them. Pick one based on features, price, and availability; they're more similar than different. (Note that RAMPs plugs onto an Arduino Mega; the rest are standalone boards.)

These guys use small stepper drivers that work with NEMA 17 motors and smaller. (I don't know what size motors the H-1 uses.)
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Nylocke »

If they didnt change the H-1.1 design too much, it should use NEMA 17s KBob, and even if it uses NEMA 23s, pololus can output enough current to run them, you just need to sink them and have a fan on them at all times. Like kbob says, there are more options out there, I just have found RAMPS to be the most reliable for me VS the Sanguinololu or RAMBo, the Sanguinololu being really unreliable, and the RAMBo being awesomely expandable, though too big for my use currently (width and length wise, height isnt as much as a problem). Also, once the RAMBo fell asleep and I got angry, so minus a few brownie points there :P. If you really do insist upon using Mach for right now, I can look up your board and see what tips I can try and give, but both I and kbob would strongly recommend that you switch to an Arduino based solution.
gadgetjon
Plasticator

Post by gadgetjon »

3D_what, I'm in the same boat. I'm (just now) ready to turn motors but haven't found a setup file for Mach3 and the original 3-axis board. I also have a ramsey controller for the extruder that's not wired yet. I appreciate the advice on getting arduino and RAMPS but I'd like to get what I have working first and then maybe build a different machine with the arduino based stuff. will the 4-axis config file work with my 3-axis board?
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

It should - since you need a 4th axis to run the extruder. The external stepper driver (they used to be EZSteppers) is the 4th axis on the 3 axis board. The 4 axis board has enough drivers for X,Y,Z and the extruder.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
gadgetjon
Plasticator

Post by gadgetjon »

I found a xml file for mach3 but it's for the 4 axis board. It does have different pin settings than what I had. Now I'm getting a clunk from the motors when I power up so I think I'm getting closer. I see a lot of discussion about the 4 axis board here but not on the three. I haven't wired my ramsey to the controller yet. I've also seen settings for the DIP switches, but again they're for the 4-axis version, and mine are set different. I tried changing them and still no stepper movement. I'm encouraged though, thanks.
gadgetjon
Plasticator

Post by gadgetjon »

found the dip switch settings here: http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
switch 1,5 and 6 are off. I think that's what I have but I'll check when I get home

still looking for an xml config file for the 3-axis board
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

gadgetjon wrote:found the dip switch settings here: http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
switch 1,5 and 6 are off. I think that's what I have but I'll check when I get home

still looking for an xml config file for the 3-axis board
I think this is for the three axis board.
SeeMeCNC H1.zip
(30.58 KiB) Downloaded 278 times
gadgetjon
Plasticator

Post by gadgetjon »

thanks Eagle. I tried that xml file and also changed my DIP switches and I'm turning 3 servos now. Not good for toubleshooting but I'm happy it's working! now to hookup the ramsey and velleman. stay tuned.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Good luck with it!

Return to “H-1 3D Printers”