40w Ceramic heat element too large?

All things related to the Rostock MAX 3D Printer, the worlds FIRST Delta kit!
cassetti
Printmaster!

40w Ceramic heat element too large?

Post by cassetti »

Just a refresher - I still don't have this printer fully calibrated (I swear I'm about to drive over to Blackpoint engineering with my printer and request their assistance calibrating it!)

Anyway, I upgraded from the original power resistors to a single ceramic heat core (30watt purchased from hotends.com). Although after another post on the troubleshooting extrusion issues, it was determined my 30 wat heater wasn't powerful enough for the hotend. The suggestion was to either purchase a 40watt heater element or two 20-watt.

Bigger is better, right? so I purchased the 40watt. And installed it earlier this week. Attached is a picture of the unit installed. Notice how big it is? is this normal? There is only about 1mm of space between the tip of the heater and the plastic platform. Will this be a problem? I'm really afraid to turn it on before getting some feedback....
Attachments
20140216_115057.jpg
(No trees were killed to post this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.)
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: 40w Ceramic heat element too large?

Post by Eaglezsoar »

For sure that is going to melt your effector platform. After scanning Ebay it looks like 6mm X 20mm is the standard for 40 watt and all the 20 watt I could find.
You may have a tough time finding one shorter than 20mm. Perhaps using shorter spacers you could lower the hotend so that the cartridge clears the platform.
cassetti
Printmaster!

Post by cassetti »

Eaglezsoar wrote:For sure that is going to melt your effector platform. After scanning Ebay it looks like 6mm X 20mm is the standard for 40 watt and all the 20 watt I could find.
You may have a tough time finding one shorter than 20mm. Perhaps using shorter spacers you could lower the hotend so that the cartridge clears the platform.
Darn, I was hoping to get it fired up and printing this weekend.

It appears mine is a 6mm x 30mm! Are you seeing a 40watt which is 6mm by 20mm? That should be sufficient
(No trees were killed to post this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.)
bubbasnow
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by bubbasnow »

the 40W does come in different sizes included diameter and lengths, the one you have is definitely longer then i would have chosen. While if you turn it on, it will probably work, it does look close to the effector plate and might cause some warpage if you don't wrap it with some insulation.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Here is one that is 23mm: http://www.makerfarm.com/index.php/hot- ... -ends.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Ceramic-Cart ... 19deff4b93" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12v-40w-Heater- ... 2ecd218a00" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1x-12V-40W-Cera ... 4d1925e8e8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All are United States and 6mm X 20mm
cassetti
Printmaster!

Post by cassetti »

Eaglezsoar wrote:http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Ceramic-Cart ... 19deff4b93

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12v-40w-Heater- ... 2ecd218a00" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1x-12V-40W-Cera ... 4d1925e8e8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All are United States and 6mm X 20mm

Thanks!

Lol, of course knowing my luck, I bought the wrong size heater! Thankfully I didn't finish installing it or turning it on before I posted this thread. I've purchased a 6x20mm (last link) since that is the closest to me. Thanks for the help guys!

Hopefully I can get this resolved next week and finally get back to printing. I've had this Rostock built for almost 11 months now, and I still have less than 175 hours print time (600meters total filament extruded!) That's pathetic. I'm really disappointed by the progress I've made with this printer.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

I can do you one better, I have a max that is from the original kickoff deal and have yet to print a part on it.
Started out as acrylic that cracked, replaced it with a wood kit and between my bad back disability and all the new
projects I never have made a print. Someday......
cassetti
Printmaster!

Post by cassetti »

Eaglezsoar wrote:I can do you one better, I have a max that is from the original kickoff deal and have yet to print a part on it.
Started out as acrylic that cracked, replaced it with a wood kit and between my bad back disability and all the new
Omf, yeah, that's pretty bad. Mine's dialed in enough for printing small objects with a small base (less than 75mm), but I am suffering from a very very minor tower rotation. Once I get this heater element replaced and the tower rotation issue resolved, I should be able to get back to printing!
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

cassetti wrote:
Eaglezsoar wrote:I can do you one better, I have a max that is from the original kickoff deal and have yet to print a part on it.
Omf, yeah, that's pretty bad. Mine's dialed in enough for printing small objects with a small base (less than 75mm), but I am suffering from a very very minor tower rotation. Once I get this heater element replaced and the tower rotation issue resolved, I should be able to get back to printing!
I did buy an Orion so I can print stuff now. It's one nice printer and worked perfectly out of the box. I think it is perfect for a consumer with time constraints or poor build skills.
Or a disability like me.
But my Max will be up and running but now I have a Kraken and a new controller (Azteeg Pro) to get working. MHackney is doing the same with the Kraken and I use his superior
smarts to document what he does and I have a online tutor. (Shish, don't tell him he'll get a swelled head if he knew I said he had superior knowledge)
cassetti
Printmaster!

Post by cassetti »

Ha ha awesome. I too have been thinking about the orion. But for now, I still have a Prusa i2 sitting on my bench waiting to be scrapped and built into a bigger better machine - but I haven't found the right printer design to build next...... Leaning towards the Lulzbot Taz, but I'm in no hurry, so I just watching the marketplace evolve.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

cassetti wrote:Ha ha awesome. I too have been thinking about the orion. But for now, I still have a Prusa i2 sitting on my bench waiting to be scrapped and built into a bigger better machine - but I haven't found the right printer design to build next...... Leaning towards the Lulzbot Taz, but I'm in no hurry, so I just watching the marketplace evolve.
The OB1.4 on Thingiverse is an interesting printer but so are a lot of other designs. Good luck making a decision, there are a lot of choices. I like the extrusion based rather than
some of the wood frame models.

Return to “Rostock MAX”