Repetier for RostockMax and RAMBO

All things related to the Rostock MAX 3D Printer, the worlds FIRST Delta kit!
cambo3d
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Repetier for RostockMax and RAMBO

Post by cambo3d »

I just read through all these posts. Seems like everyone is going to repetier firmware, repetier host, and kisslicer.

Spent the last couple days going through the forum planning out what I needed for my build.

So hopefully I've got everything I need for the software side of this. I'm no software guru so some of this jargon doesn't click with me. I'm not 100% about how the github works either when downloading and installing firmware, plus understanding what's inside the firmware to make changes.

glad there is forum for this and people on here that know how to these things work. I'm sure i'm gonna run into some problems. These were my concerns initially when purchasing the rostock kit.

I hope u guys aren't planning any long vacations anytime soon... imma need your support.
daftscience
Printmaster!

Post by daftscience »

cambo3d wrote:I just read through all these posts. Seems like everyone is going to repetier firmware, repetier host, and kisslicer.

Spent the last couple days going through the forum planning out what I needed for my build.

So hopefully I've got everything I need for the software side of this. I'm no software guru so some of this jargon doesn't click with me. I'm not 100% about how the github works either when downloading and installing firmware, plus understanding what's inside the firmware to make changes.

glad there is forum for this and people on here that know how to these things work. I'm sure i'm gonna run into some problems. These were my concerns initially when purchasing the rostock kit.

I hope u guys aren't planning any long vacations anytime soon... imma need your support.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r059aWPsoJ4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyDwYAnvG0I

Hope that helps you out.
Flateric
Printmaster!

Post by Flateric »

That just helped me out, thanks!
"Now you see why evil will always triumph! Because good is dumb." - Spaceballs
gabrielk
Printmaster!

Post by gabrielk »

Just wonder about stopping bug, so if I put my gcode on SDcard and run it from there it shouldn't stop since its related to USB connection. Is that correct?
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

I think Highcooley also had a problem doing that too. Check back on his recent posts about this.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

I think the bug is related to errors and the binary protocol in Repetier, forcing the ASCII protocol might fix it.
I can actually do a copy of the problematic file to the SDCard using Repetier host if I use the ASCII protocol, using the Binary protocol it quickly freezes the connection.
The Binary protocol uses a single bit to identify binary commands and I suspect this is where the issue lies if that bit is corrupted then it interprets it as ASCII and it seems the protocol gets out of sync and never recovers.
As an aside, the error rate to the RAMBO board also seems a lot higher than I would expect, I just tried one of the suggestions from the repetier author which was to hit the EStop button after starting repetier host, apparently this toggles the DTR line which shouldn't matter, but apparently does since it dramatically reduces the error rate at least at first glance.
daftscience
Printmaster!

Post by daftscience »

Is there a way to force ascii in the firmware? I'm having connection issues if I use any other host. However, those hosts work fine if I am running marlin.
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

daftscience wrote:Is there a way to force ascii in the firmware? I'm having connection issues if I use any other host. However, those hosts work fine if I am running marlin.
No the selection is in the host software, it's in the printer setup, it defaults to auto, you can force binary or ascii.
It doesn't change anything in the firmware, when repetier sends a binary command it sets the first bit of the packet to denote it as not ASCII, the firmware just checks the bit for every command.
In fact I think this is the issue here, if the first bit of the command it corrupt it changes which path it is using.

When you say you have comms erros with other hosts what sort of errors?
daftscience
Printmaster!

Post by daftscience »

Polygonhell wrote: No the selection is in the host software, it's in the printer setup, it defaults to auto, you can force binary or ascii.
It doesn't change anything in the firmware, when repetier sends a binary command it sets the first bit of the packet to denote it as not ASCII, the firmware just checks the bit for every command.
In fact I think this is the issue here, if the first bit of the command it corrupt it changes which path it is using.

When you say you have comms erros with other hosts what sort of errors?

Thanks, I'm still not completely familiar with the protocol. So in ASCII the first bit is always 0? The problems happen when I start to print. I can connect just fine, make manual moves, set the temps etc. In repetier-server when I start a print job it sends a bunch of commands and says "Print completed" in less than 1 second. In octoprint, same thing. Everything goes fine till I print. 3 or 4 lines will send then it says "Expected line 5 got line 4" I've played with the "#define ACK_WITH_LINENUMBER" setting but didn't notice any difference.
daftscience
Printmaster!

Post by daftscience »

Bit of an update. Commenting out the #define WAITING_IDENTIFIER and leaving the ACK_WITH_LINENUMBER uncommented seems to work IF I send M111 S1... I'm trying to figure out why.
Highcooley
Printmaster!

Post by Highcooley »

gabrielk wrote:Just wonder about stopping bug, so if I put my gcode on SDcard and run it from there it shouldn't stop since its related to USB connection. Is that correct?
Yup, I had the same issue printing via USB or from the SD card.
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

Highcooley wrote:
gabrielk wrote:Just wonder about stopping bug, so if I put my gcode on SDcard and run it from there it shouldn't stop since its related to USB connection. Is that correct?
Yup, I had the same issue printing via USB or from the SD card.
The SDCard issue is a bit odd, there is definitely an issue with the binary protocol and high error rates over USB, a fix was just posted and I'll try and integrate it into my build tonight.
I don't know I'll have a chance to dry run your GCode to verify the fix tonight though.
There is a contributing issue in it seems that for some reason if the DTR line on the arduino is left high the RAMPS board seems to throw a LOT of USB errors, maybe this is also affecting the SDCard, that you can work around by pushing the EStop button in repetier host after initially connecting, and from my trivial test it's the difference between no errors in 2M+ lines and several thousand errors.
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

OK I just merged the latest changes into my firmware drop.
HOWEVER you should use the master branch, not the development branch that was being used previously.
I've done minimal testing, LCD still works, and the first print I ran completed.

https://github.com/polygonhell/Repetier-Firmware
cambo3d
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by cambo3d »

kool, i was holding off until this bug was fixed. thanks for the info
Highcooley
Printmaster!

Post by Highcooley »

I'm looking forward to test the fix. However, this has to wait a couple of days as I'm off over the weekend.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Polygonhell wrote:OK I just merged the latest changes into my firmware drop.
HOWEVER you should use the master branch, not the development branch that was being used previously.
I've done minimal testing, LCD still works, and the first print I ran completed.

https://github.com/polygonhell/Repetier-Firmware
We all owe you thanks for your help and time to get this fixed. Thanks!
Carl
theverant
Printmaster!

Post by theverant »

I'm getting an error when compiling this in Arduino 1.0.2

'DIO34_WPORT' was not declared in this scope

I'm getting tons of Repetier.h and commands.cpp errors thrown.

I've done the previous version by PolygonHell with no problems. Anyone know what's going on?
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

theverant wrote:I'm getting an error when compiling this in Arduino 1.0.2

I've done the previous version by PolygonHell with no problems. Anyone know what's going on?
What version of arduino tools are you using?
theverant
Printmaster!

Post by theverant »

Arduino 1.0.2
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

I'm using 1.0.3 and not seeing errors just to confirm you are using the master and NOT the development branch?
theverant
Printmaster!

Post by theverant »

I think it's the Master

1. https://github.com/polygonhell/Repetier-Firmware
2. Branch set to "master"
3. Download ZIP
4. ????

I'll try the next .1 v of Arduino.
theverant
Printmaster!

Post by theverant »

Same result with Arduino 1.0.4
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

If I get chance later I'll try downloading and building the zip, but Git doesn't show any differences to what's on my machine.
Are you using a PC or Mac?
daftscience
Printmaster!

Post by daftscience »

theverant wrote:I'm getting an error when compiling this in Arduino 1.0.2

In arduino click "Tools -> Board -> Arduino Mega 2560"

I just changed from that to UNO and I got the same DIO34_WPORT error.
theverant
Printmaster!

Post by theverant »

daftscience wrote: In arduino click "Tools -> Board -> Arduino Mega 2560"

I just changed from that to UNO and I got the same DIO34_WPORT error.
Derp. That's what I get for using Arduino for other things besides upload firmware to my Max. :oops:

Return to “Rostock MAX”