LCD controller

All things related to the Rostock MAX 3D Printer, the worlds FIRST Delta kit!
Darth
Prints-a-lot

LCD controller

Post by Darth »

I am attempting to assemble a Rostock MAX with the optional LCD controller. The kit came with the hardware for the controller, but I can find no instructions for using, wiring, or even mounting it. I have looked at all the videos, downloaded and printed everything I could find. This "kit" is a massive undertaking and wasn't helped by the fact that it was shipped without a BOM check list, as well as some missing hardware. Help please.
MorbidSlowBurn
Printmaster!

Re: LCD controller

Post by MorbidSlowBurn »

Welcome to the forum.

If you look under the official documents folder of the forum geneb has posted a nice manual on how to wire up the LCD to a Rambo board. The newest kits are supposed to have a connector so you don't have to do any custom wire harness.

Under the "show us you machine" forum I posted a thread title "acrylic rostock with enclosure". In there I have some good pictures on how I mounted my LCD.

There are variations on how to mount if you have a wood or acrylic frame. Hopefully this will help you.
Darth
Prints-a-lot

Post by Darth »

MorbidSlowBurn wrote:Welcome to the forum.

If you look under the official documents folder of the forum geneb has posted a nice manual on how to wire up the LCD to a Rambo board. The newest kits are supposed to have a connector so you don't have to do any custom wire harness.

Under the "show us you machine" forum I posted a thread title "acrylic rostock with enclosure". In there I have some good pictures on how I mounted my LCD.

There are variations on how to mount if you have a wood or acrylic frame. Hopefully this will help you.
Thank you, this helps a lot.
cassetti
Printmaster!

Post by cassetti »

Darth wrote:
MorbidSlowBurn wrote:Welcome to the forum.

Thank you, this helps a lot.
How's it going? From what I understand, the new kits have a PCB adapter, but I seem to recall seeing that a few pins need to be soldered to some pcb, not sure about that...
(No trees were killed to post this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.)
Darth
Prints-a-lot

Post by Darth »

I seem to have the latest connector, but it doesn't appear to match anything on the rambo. The wiring document by geneb doesn't seem to apply. :?:
cassetti
Printmaster!

Post by cassetti »

Darth wrote:I seem to have the latest connector, but it doesn't appear to match anything on the rambo. The wiring document by geneb doesn't seem to apply. :?:
I got my kit on Monday. There is some instructions floating around somewhere (The Geneb pdf instructions would work, but way more complicated than using the PCB adapter). Course I can't find them now.... It looks like there is a pcb board that requires you to solder several blocks to it. I'm guessing the wires from the LCD will plug into that PCB board, and the board itself might plug directly into the Rambo?? Not sure (didn't really review the instructions).

I guess this is what happens when you buy a printer that is still rapidly evolving. Oh well, I still have a few evenings of work to do before I get around to installing the LCD panel. Good luck!
(No trees were killed to post this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.)
Darth
Prints-a-lot

Post by Darth »

My connectors are plugged into a pcb board marked "smart adapter" with a single row of 20 pins marked AUX-4 and a offset vertical plug of two rows of 4, marked AUX-3. These don't seem to match up with anything on the Rambo.
MorbidSlowBurn
Printmaster!

Post by MorbidSlowBurn »

Darth- that was an interim adapter that was sent out. It doesn't adapt to the Rambo board. I believe the "smart adapter" was for the ramps board. I rceived the smart adapter with my kit and still had to do the custom cable mods that geneb documented.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

The connector pcb that comes with the smartLCD is for the Ramps card. The Rambo requires a different pcb available at Seemecnc.com for 10 bucks.
If you look at the build thread that Cambo3D posted, he shows the new pcb that I am talking about. It is the pcb with the connectors that have to be
soldered to the pcb, this plugs into the Rambo and the two cables from the SmartLCD plugs into it. For 10 bucks, the pcb that Seemecnc.com sells is a
bargain compared to making your own cables. You have to know how to solder, but the new pcb works great.
cassetti
Printmaster!

Post by cassetti »

Eaglezsoar wrote:The connector pcb that comes with the smartLCD is for the Ramps card. The Rambo requires a different pcb available at Seemecnc.com for 10 bucks.
If you look at the build thread that Cambo3D posted, he shows the new pcb that I am talking about. It is the pcb with the connectors that have to be
soldered to the pcb, this plugs into the Rambo and the two cables from the SmartLCD plugs into it. For 10 bucks, the pcb that Seemecnc.com sells is a
bargain compared to making your own cables. You have to know how to solder, but the new pcb works great.
Yeah, thats what I was thinking he was referring to, but I don't have the kit in front of me to take a picture. My kit which shipped last thursday included the PCB adapter (I originally ordered the card, but they refunded the order saying it was included with the kit).

I'm not the best at soldering PCB's, so I may find an expert locally to help.....

Return to “Rostock MAX”