Movement distances are so off! HELP!

All things related to the Rostock MAX 3D Printer, the worlds FIRST Delta kit!
gsnover
Prints-a-lot

Movement distances are so off! HELP!

Post by gsnover »

So I am trying to calibrate. I bought my kit with lcd kit so I am using polygonhell's Repetier firmware. After reading the forums a bit I changed the EEPROM mm per steps to 106.67 for each axis and 584 for the extruder. My Z height is 368 mm and movement in Z seems to correct. However things get weird when I move in X and Y.

When i move in X and Y the movements are larger then they should be. For example my arm is are near parallel to the Z tower at Y87? Shouldn't that number be more like 120?. BUT the Z height also drops 20 mm during that movement - making calibration impossible!

Any ideas about what is going on here?

Guy
Rostock Max - Shakira "her hips don't lie"
Rambo 1.1 | Onyx | LCD | Marlin-for-Rostockmax-RamboLCD
KISSlicer
Broose
Printmaster!

Re: Movement distances are so off! HELP!

Post by Broose »

Actually, that sounds about right. The Z-tower calibration point for the Onyx is at X0 Y90 where the Z arm is just about vertical. Actually its more like 10 degrees. You can see where it should be on mine at Y90 in the calibration video I did: http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=1445
at 3:10 into the video
-B
gsnover
Prints-a-lot

Post by gsnover »

So I homed then went to Z50. Then I enter G01 X0 Y90 Z50 F500 and machine moves towards the tower and it's going well until it looks like the Z tower gets stuck and the other two axis keep going and push the carriage with a snap and thud. The resulting move is lower in Z and repetier gives me this error message:
invalid delta coordinate move ignored
ERROR: no move in delta segment with > 1 segment. This should never happen and may cause a problem.

?????

what should I do here?
KISSlicer
Broose
Printmaster!

Post by Broose »

Did you enter the gcode into the manual control g-code box one line at a time? If so then it looks like you have something setup wrong in the software to get that error message. I can't see anything wrong with the g-code commands.

I once tried entering code into the editor and executing it from there and didn't realize I had setup a bogus park location in printer settings. It would try to go there at the end of every program and wreak havoc.
gsnover
Prints-a-lot

Post by gsnover »

I entered the command into the the manual control gcode box as one line. Should I enter each axis movement separately?
KISSlicer
Broose
Printmaster!

Post by Broose »

no,
G01 X0 Y90 Z50 F500
should work fine. I just typed it in on mine to make sure.

By the way, I just went to Y120 on my machine and the Z arm is just about dead vertical.

-B
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

gsnover wrote:So I homed then went to Z50. Then I enter G01 X0 Y90 Z50 F500 and machine moves towards the tower and it's going well until it looks like the Z tower gets stuck and the other two axis keep going and push the carriage with a snap and thud.
FWIW Assuming you've homed the axis (before you do that all bets are off on what a move will do) that sounds like a mechanical issue to me. Mechanical noises usually mean mechanical issues.
If you move the cheapskates by hand in this area do they feel different.
I would also check your belts if your getting snap/thudding noises.
Broose
Printmaster!

Post by Broose »

@Polygonhell - There may be a mechanical issue, although I don't see how it would cause this odd error he is seeing in his log:

invalid delta coordinate move ignored
ERROR: no move in delta segment with > 1 segment. This should never happen and may cause a problem.
gsnover
Prints-a-lot

Post by gsnover »

So I went to Z50 after homing.
When I then move to Y50 I get a change in Z height of -6.22mm.
What sort of mechanical issues would cause that? Friction in arms or maybe belt tension? Any ideas?

I appreciate all the help. Thanks in advance.

Guy
KISSlicer
gsnover
Prints-a-lot

Post by gsnover »

BTW movement by hand seems normal - though that judgement is only based off this one machine. No odd mechanical sounds when moving normally - until i approach the build perimeter and then it does it's stuck - thud into place thing and I get that error.
KISSlicer
Broose
Printmaster!

Post by Broose »

That error might happen when it thinks the Z arm passed through vertical, because the stage doesn't need to move up or down there.

Its acting like the steps/mm or PULLEY_TEETH value is incorrect but it works correctly on the Z axis vertical motion. Did you change any of the Delta settings in Configuration.h?
gsnover
Prints-a-lot

Post by gsnover »

Just to make sure I downloaded the firmware again and uploaded it.
Restarted and the symptom still occurs.
The only changes I have made are through the eeprom. I have metal 15 tooth pulleys not the newer 20 tooth and I have my steps at 106.67 which should be correct.
KISSlicer
Broose
Printmaster!

Post by Broose »

Well, If you have mechanical problems as Polygonhell has suggested, and it was in the Z column, where the Z cheapskate was not moving correctly when it was commanded to during an X-Y axis move, then the head would move downwards when you moved towards the Z column.
gsnover
Prints-a-lot

Post by gsnover »

It happens when I move in X direction as well. so it's not just one axis.

Guy
KISSlicer
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

It could be that one of your joints is catching at a certain point then releases making that sound you hear. Which one
is the problem, I would check the joints at the cheapskates first. Perhaps a close observation of the cheapskates would
give you a chance to see the joint "catch" and release or you should be able to feel the catch and release by having your
hand on the cheapskate one at a time to determine which one is catching.

Carl
gsnover
Prints-a-lot

Post by gsnover »

So to test that it was indeed a mechanical issue - I tested the same movements with Marlin firmware loaded. Those movements were fine. So it's no mechanical. huh.
KISSlicer
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

gsnover wrote:So to test that it was indeed a mechanical issue - I tested the same movements with Marlin firmware loaded. Those movements were fine. So it's no mechanical. huh.
Could be the motor current settings too low then causing the stepper to skip, that did change between the 1.0 and 1.1 Rambo boards, I have no idea what values people are using on the 1.1 boards.
Broose
Printmaster!

Post by Broose »

Here is what what I have my EEPROM settings:
eeprom.png
I assume that since you reloaded the firmware that you have
#define EEPROM_MODE 1
gsnover
Prints-a-lot

Post by gsnover »

pgonhell

So i am back to marlin firmware and the f'ing lcd is working too! I want to just see if I can finally finish setup/calibration of this thing, before switching firmware, again. When I load your firmware back and compare settings I will let you know.
KISSlicer
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

You can't set the motor gain in the EEPROMm, it's one of the few things that has to be set in the code.
the line reads

#define MOTOR_CURRENT {135, 135, 135, 135}

for a rambo 1.0 that's 0.75A I believe for an 1.1 it's much lower than that, I'd try 200, if it's too high the drivers will over heat and you'll either get the motors jittering or see missed steps sometimes minutes after you start a print.
Broose
Printmaster!

Post by Broose »

Mine with the Rambo 1.1 are set to 175 for the column drives and 222 for the extruder, and they seem to work fine.
bplemmons
Printmaster!

Post by bplemmons »

I am experiencing the same issue as you, the head sweeps downward when moving to any tower, Marlin does not do this so I know it's not the machine but I want sd card support. I too thought it may be a setting in config h.

Have you had any luck?

Bill
Cleveralias
Printmaster!

Post by Cleveralias »

Hey all, this is the same issue I was experiencing and tried (very clumsily) to describe here http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php ... =130#p9374.

I updated the pot values for the steppers in config.h to 200 across the board as polygonhell suggested (Marlin FW had this setting at 195) and I believe this has addressed the issue! I ran a test print that went for 46 minutes last night and didn't observe any of the problems mentioned that would indicate overheating. Please give it a shot.
gsnover
Prints-a-lot

Post by gsnover »

There is new Marlin firmware that now supports the lcd. Thanks johnoly99! https://github.com/johnoly99
My bot shipped with the helpful lcd adapter kit so the original instructions didn't apply and after lengthy changes to the firmware all I got was white boxes. With the new marlin firmware use arduino 023 and swap out the pins file as the manual explains and the upload to the board and it works - for me at least :) !

Now I just have figure out what to do about the 0.2mm hieght dome shape that occurs when I heat up the onyx :lol:
KISSlicer

Return to “Rostock MAX”