Onyx taking forever to heat up.

All things related to the Rostock MAX 3D Printer, the worlds FIRST Delta kit!
thingevery
Prints-a-lot

Onyx taking forever to heat up.

Post by thingevery »

I tried out my ONYX bed for the first time tonight, but it heated up really slowly. I had it set to 110˚, but it took almost an hour to get to 90˚, and then never got any hotter. Anyone have any idea what it could be?

I have a piece of regular glass on it. Is 1/4" too thick? Also, I didn't put any RTV stuff in the hole with the thermistor. Would that matter?

Perhaps I need to add more (or heavier) wires to power the bed?
barnett
Printmaster!

Re: Onyx taking forever to heat up.

Post by barnett »

some thoughts:
- Can you measure how hot it's getting with a thermocouple or infrared thermometer? Maybe it's reporting low. But I think my onyx would act the same as yours, taking a long time to get over 90 and maybe never making it to 110. I haven't tried.
- 110 might be hotter than you need anyway. I've only used ABS so far, but with painters tape on plate glass on the onyx, my prints stick at about 70. I dissolved some abs bits in acetone and wipe a little on the tape and then my prints stick even better. Often I have a hard time getting them off without ripping up the tape.
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

thingevery wrote:I tried out my ONYX bed for the first time tonight, but it heated up really slowly. I had it set to 110˚, but it took almost an hour to get to 90˚, and then never got any hotter. Anyone have any idea what it could be?

I have a piece of regular glass on it. Is 1/4" too thick? Also, I didn't put any RTV stuff in the hole with the thermistor. Would that matter?

Perhaps I need to add more (or heavier) wires to power the bed?
Yeah I'd measure the actual temperature I would be willing to bet it's at least 10 degrees hotter than the requested temperature and maybe as much as 25 depending on exactly how effectively the thermistor is seated and whether you insulated the back side of it.
gjadams
Noob

Post by gjadams »

I am having a similar problem. I have 3 wires + and 3 wires - from the 450w PSU going to the Rambo and then 12 guage wire to the Onyx. I can't get it above 90 C and that takes forever.

I have 2 digital thermometers and a decent amount of experience with 2 other printers, but I'm lost as to if this is a power issue or what. I only have 1/2 volt drop at the Onyx, still seeing over 11v.

More power wires from the PSU to Rambo?

I've read suggestions to take the + positive right to the HBP and pass only negative back through the control. I have this on my MendelMax and RAMPS, but that is 24v and heats up in a few minutes to over 100c.
thingevery
Prints-a-lot

Post by thingevery »

I checked the bed with an infrared thermometer, and it seems like the thermistor is returning pretty accurate readings. For most temperatures, the thermometer and LCD panel showed the same value. However, when the LCD said 80˚C, the thermometer said 82˚ - not bad.

It still takes a long time to get hot, and no matter how long I wait, it will never get past 90˚. But that's ok, because as barnett suggested above, I was able to get good adhesion at a lower temp (80˚).

So all is good. But if anyone thinks that providing more power to the bed would make it heat up faster, I'd be interested to give it a try.

Return to “Rostock MAX”