Best Tools for Wiring Molex Plugs?

All things related to the Rostock MAX 3D Printer, the worlds FIRST Delta kit!
cassetti
Printmaster!

Best Tools for Wiring Molex Plugs?

Post by cassetti »

Ok, I was *really* hopeful this kit would already have molex plugs pre-wired, or some alternative to forcing me to wire my own plugs!

Long story short, Purchased a printrboard expecting a great newbie experience from the company for the prusa i2 I was building - didn't even know it wouldn't come with a wire kit (had to buy that after the fact!). After fussing with the molex plugs like a newbie, I wired up my printer and fired it up - only, instead firing it up, I shorted out the board (or at least the USB portion somehow)!! After getting a replacement board, I fried that one too, which confirmed it was my shoddy molex wiring job.....

I then purchased an Axteeg with screw down terminals, and chopped off my molex plugs then installed the board. Fired it up and have had no issue since.

Since that experience, I've been trying to avoid wiring molex plugs myself. Any help on what tools to use would be GREAT
Also, I have an Amazon Prime account, so I can have one delivered by thursday, but I'd like some advice on which tools I need.
(No trees were killed to post this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.)
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Best Tools for Wiring Molex Plugs?

Post by Polygonhell »

Technically these are DuPont style connectors, the molex connectors with the same pitch are actually much easier to deal with. I personally hate wiring them, but I use a decent pair of point nosed pliers, there are specialized crimp tools but they are not widely available and they aren't particularly cheap
cassetti
Printmaster!

Post by cassetti »

Ugh, I used needlenose last time in conjunction with a pair of bare crimps I have, but the results were sub par, crimped too hard and ended up having a hard time inserting them into the plug properly, they would never seat correctly, I thin forcing them caused at least one to cut the divider and short across the pins on my previous attempt.....
(No trees were killed to post this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.)
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

Actually it looks like pololu have something that would work as do various RC places, for not stupid money.
daftscience
Printmaster!

Post by daftscience »

I'm using these. Pretty cheap and they work with a bunch of different connector crips.
cassetti
Printmaster!

Post by cassetti »

I ended up purchasing these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007JL ... UTF8&psc=1

Little more than I hoped to spend, but I need a good crimper anyway, so I wasn't too upset. And since It's an amazon prime item, I was able to get overnight shipping for $3.99. Unfortunately I didn't realize I needed to crimp anything until late last night, so it won't ship until today. Oh well, I still have a LOT I can do tonight before I worry about wiring everything anyway!

Return to “Rostock MAX”