3mm Taulman Nylon

All things related to the Rostock MAX 3D Printer, the worlds FIRST Delta kit!
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

3mm Taulman Nylon

Post by Nylocke »

I have a spool of 3mm Taulman Nylon, 645. Normal 3mm filament is ~2.85mm in diameter, but for whatever reason this nylon is averaging 3.15-3.25mm. I can't print with it because it won't go through the provided Teflon tube from E3D, does anyone know if Taulman meant for it to be larger than regular filament or if I got a bad spool? and if this is purposeful, does anyone (cope perhaps?) know where I can get some nylon that will work for me?
CJGerard
Printmaster!

Re: 3mm Taulman Nylon

Post by CJGerard »

Mine is oversized also, My taulman 618-1.75 mm is averaging between 1.75mm and 1.82mm. This is my first time using nylon so I haven't got to far into the roll yet but it seems tobe able to print.

Mine does seems tobe really wet, there is a lot of popping when i print. I just opened the spool today so its kinda surprising me.
Boss 1 - "I'm tiered of arguing with you! You come up with the MOST Stupid-Outlandish-Impossible way to do something & then you walk out into the shop and DO IT and IT WORKS. Its no fun anymore."
Boss 2 - "Huh? Chris is a Ninja?"
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Nylocke »

Yeah, Nylon LOVES water, in order to print effectively you need to dry it out. I talked to Taylo (Cope413) and he says the only way to print with it is to make a dryer box or dry it out every 18 hours. He said something about post his dryer box info and selling a few in the next few days *cough cough* but you can try putting it in the oven on its lowest setting (~170F) and that may dry ir out enough to get some prints. It works fine for you because SeeMe's tube that they use is 2mm ID, but my tube is ~1/4, so it just has enough room for the average "3mm" filament.
cope413
Printmaster!

Post by cope413 »

I don't have the dryer box info ready yet, very soon, but you can dry nylon at 200-225F without affecting it. Must be dry to print. Moisture causes it to hydrolyze when extruding, and aside from pops and temp changes in the nozzle, it loses layer adhesion strength.

If the spool is bad and they won't replace it, you could run it through a draw plate like this http://www.amazon.com/Round-Hole-Drawpl ... B000OVHZIU to get it into round...
Fellow Philosophy majors unite!

"The proverbial achilles heel of property monistic epiphenomenalism is the apparent impossibility of ex-nihilo materialization of non-structural and qualitatively new causal powers."
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Nylocke »

Ok, thanks Cope. Not sure what I'm going to do yet about this. I have to discuss it tomorrow with my robotics team. Hopefully we can find a solution, I may have to switch to trimmer line or Polycarb....
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Nylocke »

I went to my local ACE hard are and bought ACE brand trimmer line, about half of what taulman gives you for about 1/4 of the price, and its 2.7mm diameter. It is currently in the oven at 225F, Cope or someone with Nylon experience, how long should it be in there for?
cope413
Printmaster!

Post by cope413 »

2-3 hours should be enough to dry it unless it's really saturated. 4-6 is all that's needed to fully dry it if you assume it's 100% saturated
Fellow Philosophy majors unite!

"The proverbial achilles heel of property monistic epiphenomenalism is the apparent impossibility of ex-nihilo materialization of non-structural and qualitatively new causal powers."

Return to “Rostock MAX”