Direct drive / EZStruder with small nozzle diameters

All things related to the Rostock MAX 3D Printer, the worlds FIRST Delta kit!
Highcooley
Printmaster!

Direct drive / EZStruder with small nozzle diameters

Post by Highcooley »

On different forums people state that direct drive extruders are problematic with small nozzle diameters. Can anybody confirm or refute this? My Kraken has two 0.4mm, a 0.6mm as well as a 0.25mm nozzle. I got two EZStruders for the 0.4mm nozzles which work fine. The 0.6mm won't cause problems anyway and definitely needs a direct drive for high speed extrusion, but I'm not sure about the 0.25mm. Since I've got two unused Steve's extruders as well as two spare MK7 drivegears, I could print extruders or go for Steve's. I hear that the Berry Tripper is quite a good geared solution for a self printed version. Any suggestions and comparisons of geared extruders as well as self printing vs. Steve's?
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Direct drive / EZStruder with small nozzle diameters

Post by Jimustanguitar »

I hear a lot of hype about direct drive extruders skipping and slipping, but I've not had that experience. I think the real problem here is steps per mm. If you've got a direct drive extruder, a small nozzle diameter, and a thin layer height, you're toeing the line on not extruding very smoothly because of what I'll call "low step frequency". I'm sure there's a better term for it :)

The EZStruder is set to 90-100 steps per mm compared to the original Steve's extruder which was geared down to 400-500 steps per MM... I think if you're having trouble with step resolution, you ought to try switching your extruder to .9 degree motors.
critical_limit
Printmaster!

Post by critical_limit »

Has anybody attachted a geared Motor to the EZStruder?
Most geared Motors have 8mm rods, so which hobbed gear can be used?

Any links for this?

Thanx
Dirk
JFettig
Printmaster!

Post by JFettig »

I was just thinking it wouldn't be very difficult to make an adapter plate for one of these: http://www.omc-stepperonline.com/geared ... s-c-4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
0110-m-p
Printmaster!

Post by 0110-m-p »

I've had problems with printing ABS through my 0.25mm E3D V5 nozzle with the EZStruder. Didn't really skip, but just didn't seem powerful enough. I didn't try too long before going back to the 0.4mm nozzle which runs fine.
Current Machines || Rostock Max (V1) | V3DR ||
Previous Machines || Flashforge Creator Pro ||
Highcooley
Printmaster!

Post by Highcooley »

Jimustanguitar wrote:I hear a lot of hype about direct drive extruders skipping and slipping, but I've not had that experience. I think the real problem here is steps per mm. If you've got a direct drive extruder, a small nozzle diameter, and a thin layer height, you're toeing the line on not extruding very smoothly because of what I'll call "low step frequency". I'm sure there's a better term for it :)

The EZStruder is set to 90-100 steps per mm compared to the original Steve's extruder which was geared down to 400-500 steps per MM... I think if you're having trouble with step resolution, you ought to try switching your extruder to .9 degree motors.
Hmmm, right...that makes sense as well as the torque problem. So a Berry Tripper http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:86631 could actually be a nice alternative. I just don't trust printed gears that much :D Are they usually more precise than Steve's threefold gear?
bot
Printmaster!

Post by bot »

Has anybody tried going to 0.9 degree steppers like Jimustanguitar suggested? That seems like the easiest solution to try. I have been creeping up on the limit of the stock setups resolution, so I'm looking at options now.
*not actually a robot
critical_limit
Printmaster!

Post by critical_limit »

bot wrote:Has anybody tried going to 0.9 degree steppers like Jimustanguitar suggested? That seems like the easiest solution to try. I have been creeping up on the limit of the stock setups resolution, so I'm looking at options now.

Yepp,

I´m using 0.9° Steppers with 32 Microsteps on a azteeg X5 Board. Working good with 0.35 Nozzle printing ABS with E3D V6 and 40mm/s at 0.1mm Layerheight. But have to raise the temp 5°C compared to a 0.4 Nozzle.

Tried a 0.25 Nozzle as well, but didn´t work. Pressure must be so high, that the hobbed gear is eating the Filament. Maybe a stronger Spring will help. Didn´t checked it again.
bot
Printmaster!

Post by bot »

Thank you, your reply is very useful. I wanted to go to a .25mm nozzle. I wonder what would be needed for that to work.
*not actually a robot
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

critical_limit wrote:Has anybody attachted a geared Motor to the EZStruder?
TrickLaser Brian has done this, I think it was a prototype for the Nemesis II... One with the EZStruder, and another with the Goliat extruder. Maybe he'll chime in on the convo and share his thoughts.

Pictures:
https://www.facebook.com/themakerhive/p ... permPage=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.facebook.com/themakerhive/p ... permPage=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
enggmaug
Printmaster!

Post by enggmaug »

I personally use .25 nozzle on my kraken, with EZstrudder, and often print at 0.1 mm layer height.

I have had issues in the begining, but then, following another thread on this forum, I ran a drill in the nozzle in order to lower its exit channel length. I reduced it's length as much as I could without enlarging the nozzle tip.

It works very well now, no problem at all.
Glacian22
Printmaster!

Post by Glacian22 »

I made an adapter plate a while ago, if anyone needs one: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:131310" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jdurand
Printmaster!

Post by jdurand »

BTW, what's the current trick for getting the sign-in to work on Thingverse? I used to contribute to them but they changed their login and now it just loops, signing in...done...signing in...done... forever.
Standing on the edge of reality... (me)
Quando omni flunkus moritati (Red Green)
Let no man belong to another that can belong to himself. (Paracelsus)
All things are poison and nothing is without poison; only the dose makes a thing not a poison. (Ibid.)
bot
Printmaster!

Post by bot »

Enggmaug, you are a genius! Or you and the person who you heard that idea from. I can't wait to try a .25mm nozzle now. Just need to get someone with a lathe or something to bore out a bit from the nozzle...

Daaaaaaaaad! :mrgreen:
*not actually a robot
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

The trick to printing with a .25 nozzle is to go very slow. It's not rocket science.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
bot
Printmaster!

Post by bot »

It's kinda like rocket science, what with the nozzle and the pressure and the expansion of heated materials. :)
*not actually a robot
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

bot wrote:It's kinda like rocket science, what with the nozzle and the pressure and the expansion of heated materials. :)
I've never heard about die swell on a Saturn-V though :)
jdurand
Printmaster!

Post by jdurand »

I've stood under a Saturn V and looked up, I thought the engines were swell! Of course I was young and some people still used the term swell. :)
Standing on the edge of reality... (me)
Quando omni flunkus moritati (Red Green)
Let no man belong to another that can belong to himself. (Paracelsus)
All things are poison and nothing is without poison; only the dose makes a thing not a poison. (Ibid.)
bot
Printmaster!

Post by bot »

Yeah, come to think of it, rocket science is the easy stuff. 3D printing is the new rocket science. Hell, brain surgery is nothing, I should know! :mrgreen:
*not actually a robot
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

The ezStruder works better with a planetary geared stepper motor. The OEM motor barely has enough torque to work reliably with a .35 or .4 nozzle.
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
MAX METAL Rostock MAX Printer Frame
NEMESIS Air Delta v1 & v2 -Aluminum delta printers
Rostock MAX "KITT" - Tri-Force Frame
GRABER i3 "Slim"
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

bvandiepenbos wrote:The ezStruder works better with a planetary geared stepper motor. The OEM motor barely has enough torque to work reliably with a .35 or .4 nozzle.
Can you show us how you mounted a geared motor to an ezstruder?
enggmaug
Printmaster!

Post by enggmaug »

bot wrote:Enggmaug, you are a genius! Or you and the person who you heard that idea from. I can't wait to try a .25mm nozzle now. Just need to get someone with a lathe or something to bore out a bit from the nozzle...

Daaaaaaaaad! :mrgreen:

As I remember, it was mhackney who gave me that tip. He is the genius.

I tried finding the exact thread, I believe it was this one :http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php ... ole#p36953

EDIT : It actually starts on page 24 of the very same thread when mhackney started his investingations about E3D nozzles bore length.
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

Eaglezsoar wrote:
bvandiepenbos wrote:The ezStruder works better with a planetary geared stepper motor. The OEM motor barely has enough torque to work reliably with a .35 or .4 nozzle.
Can you show us how you mounted a geared motor to an ezstruder?
Eagle see this new post I made about this http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=7011" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
MAX METAL Rostock MAX Printer Frame
NEMESIS Air Delta v1 & v2 -Aluminum delta printers
Rostock MAX "KITT" - Tri-Force Frame
GRABER i3 "Slim"
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

I can say, now, in about a year of printing with my modified E3D and Kraken nozzles that I've had absolutely NO ISSUES with over 1000s of prints from small high detailed to large 12+ hour prints. I've received 100s - literally - of emails and PM from folks who have done the mod and had positive results. I've had a few who didn't. I really suspect that those who didn't have other issues that are not resolved. Extruding filament precisely and reliably is a complex process with lots of parameters. It takes a consistent, dedicated approach to resolving the gremlins, but one you do, the things you can make are amazing!

cheers,
Michael

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
JFettig
Printmaster!

Post by JFettig »

What mods do you speak of?

Return to “Rostock MAX”