Rostock V1 vs EF2 TORNADO!!!

All things related to the Rostock MAX 3D Printer, the worlds FIRST Delta kit!
galesc
Prints-a-lot

Rostock V1 vs EF2 TORNADO!!!

Post by galesc »

Hi all,

I am brand new to 3D printer ownership, I was given a Rostock Max V1 from a friend. Unfortunately this printer had gone through a EF2 tornado and got banged up!

ROSTOCK V1 vs EF2 Tornado Round 1
photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG
photo 4.JPG
All of the electronics work so the damage is structural. The original owner updated the arms to the current setup. But some of them broke and need to be replaced. Also the vertical aluminum stock has lots of dings and scratches.

I am just looking for any advice or help getting this thing printing.

Thanks in advance!

Casey
enggmaug
Printmaster!

Re: Rostock V1 vs EF2 TORNADO!!!

Post by enggmaug »

I guess the best would be to buy a "wood only" kit, along with new arms, and towers.

If you want to make sure you order only one time and have everything ready for rebuilding, read the manual, and everytime there is a reference to a part that is not wood, make sure you have it, and it is not damaged.

You can already dismantle the printer anyway, as the wood only kit will be V2, but your machine is V1.
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

Seems like the mechanics would work aswell.

Try to get it running as it is. Even if you cannot get good prints you will know exactly what is wrong with it.
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
galesc
Prints-a-lot

Post by galesc »

Thanks for the feedback. I forgot to mention that 14 of the plastic parts were broken along with 3 of the arms. How is the full upgrade kit to the V2? I was kind of leaning that direction....
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

galesc wrote:Thanks for the feedback. I forgot to mention that 14 of the plastic parts were broken along with 3 of the arms. How is the full upgrade kit to the V2? I was kind of leaning that direction....
The full upgrade kit to V2 from V1 is your best, the least expensive option. Everything you would need are in the kit, except for the aluminum uprights.
I used to have a V1 made from the clear plastic like you have there and you will not be able to find the clear plastic repair parts for the base or the top.
The clear plastic is very brittle and cracks easily, that is one of the reasons that they quit making them.

If you feel that your uprights will work even with the dings and scratches then I would reuse them. If you not feel comfortable reusing them then let me
know and I will send you a couple of links on where to get them. Please let me know what other help you need or questions you may have, I definitely would like
to help you get this printer running at the least cost possible.
galesc
Prints-a-lot

Post by galesc »

Thanks All, will do. I'll try to salvage the vertical posts maybe rotate them 90 degrees. I would like to repair this printer in a "cheaper" way. So I was contemplating getting the Laser Cut Wood parts only instead of the full upgrade and re-creating or buying these arms.

http://www.tricklaser.com/Carbon-Fiber- ... M-CFTX.htm

The original owner of my machine (now owns an Orion) suggested getting the new cold extruder head.

He also suggested getting fans for the tip of the extruder and the hotend. Which fans and shrouds would I get for that?

Any other suggestions to get this printing again. I would like to be able to do as precise prints as possible with this machine.

Thanks all!
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

My friend who is in the advertising business uses chloroform to chemically weld plexiglass.

As i said, stick it together with spit, glue or duck tape and get it moving.

Test the temperatures, chexk all the motors. Check the usb connection and the ability to read from the sd card.

As you said, your plexi parts are gone, the towers do not fair well, there may be some other errors (your bearings for the cheapskates may have rusted aswell). So basically right now you have 4 motors, and a rambo board, arms and a hotend.

If not you may find yourself ordering hotend resistors, motors, and even a new controller and lcd. And in the end you may be better off buying a complete kit.
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
galesc
Prints-a-lot

Post by galesc »

Eaglezsoar wrote:
galesc wrote:Thanks for the feedback. I forgot to mention that 14 of the plastic parts were broken along with 3 of the arms. How is the full upgrade kit to the V2? I was kind of leaning that direction....
The full upgrade kit to V2 from V1 is your best, the least expensive option. Everything you would need are in the kit, except for the aluminum uprights.
I used to have a V1 made from the clear plastic like you have there and you will not be able to find the clear plastic repair parts for the base or the top.
The clear plastic is very brittle and cracks easily, that is one of the reasons that they quit making them.

If you feel that your uprights will work even with the dings and scratches then I would reuse them. If you not feel comfortable reusing them then let me
know and I will send you a couple of links on where to get them. Please let me know what other help you need or questions you may have, I definitely would like
to help you get this printer running at the least cost possible.

Eaglezsoar, could you send me those links to the aluminium extrusion? I might need to replace mine.
galesc
Prints-a-lot

Post by galesc »

So, it's been a month and I've been printing for a little while. Well when you hit a Rostock V1 with a EF2 you get a Rostock Max V2 Tornado Edition!
IMG_0082.JPG
IMG_0084.JPG
IMG_0083.JPG
Thanks all for the help with getting this printer going. Now I just have to figure out how to get great prints from this thing!

Casey
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Nylocke »

Nice job on the conversion. Can't even tell its the "same" machine!
galesc
Prints-a-lot

Post by galesc »

Thanks. All I really used from the first version was the electronics and hardware!
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

What a difference from the tornado version.
Very good job!
galesc
Prints-a-lot

Post by galesc »

Thanks!

Return to “Rostock MAX”