getting a smooth radius in my print

All things related to the Rostock MAX 3D Printer, the worlds FIRST Delta kit!
stonewater
Printmaster!

getting a smooth radius in my print

Post by stonewater »

hi everyone,

seems my slicer (mattercontrol) likes to put little dots of material every few MM when I print a radius, any size radius. I have tried different settings, coarse standard and fine, it does it printing perimeters also, and the print, is there a Gcode setting I can add to the start G code,.... MHackneys prints look amazing, and I have gotten my stringing issues solved thanks to his work, just need a bit of a tweak to the code and I think I will be golden.

ABS
230 Degrees
80 degree bed
1.75 mm abs
.5 nozzle
mattercontrol and matterslice seemecnc release.
MAX V1
325 MM carbon arms trick trucks effector mount LED ring heat spreader
Corvair750
V6 Hotend
Robo 3D
Flashforge creator
http://WWW.TeslagenX.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Bedini experimenter kits, books, DVD's
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: getting a smooth radius in my print

Post by Polygonhell »

Pictures would help identify the issue, my first thought is you have some sort of perimeter start randomization turned on, it's one of those things that seems like a good idea until you se what the result is.
stonewater
Printmaster!

Post by stonewater »

here is what it looks like, it is on all the radius of the print small or large even long radius show the dimple. it almost looks like an extrusion after retract dimple, or should I say a bump. the printhead stops deposits move stop deposit. it does this when drawing perimeters, and for the entire radius of the print. I did a set of the tensioners for the max, all the radius look the same. seen this mentioned somewhere else here I just cannot seem to find it.

randomize start point is not on, at least I have not seen it in mattercontrol, I thought it might be a good idea to prevent lines in the print, sound like it is not.

Tom C
Attachments
radius.jpg
MAX V1
Corvair750
V6 Hotend
Robo 3D
Flashforge creator
http://WWW.TeslagenX.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Bedini experimenter kits, books, DVD's
stonewater
Printmaster!

Post by stonewater »

20150324_163948_resized.jpg
here is another picture of the perimeter
MAX V1
Corvair750
V6 Hotend
Robo 3D
Flashforge creator
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

I haven't seen anything exactly like that, but If I had to guess, I start by checking you extruder calibration, you can sometimes get an issue where plastic get's backed up in the extruder then released in blobs, but to get what you have, you'd have to have a lot of over-extrusion.
craftymethod
Printmaster!

Post by craftymethod »

I think it might be a little too high off the bed. I cant do big prints yet because I get this on some outer edges, it lifts off easily so I can compare it to most of the other parts of the print that push harder down.

Damn Delta's are hard to tune for big prints!!!
JFettig
Printmaster!

Post by JFettig »

Does it pause at each of those points?

Mine does that while printing skirts for some reason.

Are you printing from SD or by USB?
stonewater
Printmaster!

Post by stonewater »

@ JFettig:

it does pause at each point and move on, you can see by the linearity of the spots it looks like it is programmed to do this. I have tried several objects including ones I drew myself in 123Ddesign. I am printing off usb. I will try it off a SD card.

@polygonhell:

I did the extruder calibration you posted a while back. and just double checked it 2 days ago. I know it is not perfect, I use the extrustion multiplier printing at 1 on the bottom few layers, then bumping it down as the print moves up, at the top of some prints where its just printing edges, like the guano fan blower, I moved it all the way down to .90 it made all the stringing go away at the end of the print. printing 2 of the object helped a lot also. it stops and prints like it is doing an infill or when you see the printhead feed after a retract and move.

@craftymethod:

I do not have a large print problem, other than an occasional print lift. I spent a lot of time with the delta arm radius and doing the big calibration print you can find on thingiverse. that simple circle tells you so much about your printer...... I found many things wrong mechanically with the towers just from that print. I found a loose top bolt that holds the arm to the horizontal upper plate, I found one cheapskate had rotated so it was not tensioned correctly, one tower was not vertical, my endstop screws were moving a bit every time it zero'ed. so much to learn about delta printers.
MAX V1
Corvair750
V6 Hotend
Robo 3D
Flashforge creator
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Nylocke »

Are you using Marlin for the firmware? I've never seen stuttering in the print like that, certainly not with Repetier or even to that extreme with Marlin.
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

You can make repetier pause like that if you mess with DELTA_SEGMENTS_PER_SECOND_PRINT, this is available in the EEPROM.
Can you take a look at what you set it to?
JFettig
Printmaster!

Post by JFettig »

Those pauses will do exactly that, the pressure in the nozzle will dump excess plastic out and make a blob, then not have enough pressure to extrude full width after that.

This happens to me only on skirts, and I'm not sure why. Its worse when I print from USB(repetier server or octoprint). Printing from a windows PC has always been very hit or miss for me and I won't even bother anymore.
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

I print with USB 3.0 50% of the time and don't notice any pausing. That's very interesting how uniform it is, almost like exaggerated vertical banding issue.
JFettig
Printmaster!

Post by JFettig »

Its at the end of every line segment in g-code.
stonewater
Printmaster!

Post by stonewater »

@Nylocke

it is repetier firmware .91 I believe ... whatever came preloaded with the V1 I used rep host to configure it when I first purchased it.

Tom C
MAX V1
Corvair750
V6 Hotend
Robo 3D
Flashforge creator
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Nylocke »

Polygonhell wrote:You can make repetier pause like that if you mess with DELTA_SEGMENTS_PER_SECOND_PRINT, this is available in the EEPROM.
Can you take a look at what you set it to?
Do you know what that value is set to in EEPROM? If its more than 230 or so its probably a bit too high.
stonewater
Printmaster!

Post by stonewater »

I am not in front of the printer right now, so I will look when I get back to the shop.

Tom C
MAX V1
Corvair750
V6 Hotend
Robo 3D
Flashforge creator
stonewater
Printmaster!

Post by stonewater »

I do not see a delta segments for print I do have a setting that is segment/s for printing set to 180

Tom C
MAX V1
Corvair750
V6 Hotend
Robo 3D
Flashforge creator
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

180 is reasonable, so I'm going to guess it's noise on the USB cable, have you tried printing from SDCard?
I'd grab a different USB cable and try that as well.
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Nylocke »

I print exclusively from the SD card for this reason (also I have a laptop that I hate being tethered to things, but thats just fuel for the fire). I personally recommend that people print from SD, the printer in my opinion should be a standalone item, or as I like to call it, "potty trained".
stonewater
Printmaster!

Post by stonewater »

starting a print from SD now

Tom C
MAX V1
Corvair750
V6 Hotend
Robo 3D
Flashforge creator
stonewater
Printmaster!

Post by stonewater »

it is doing the same thing to the perimeter off the SD card.... it must be in the Gcode.

Tom C
MAX V1
Corvair750
V6 Hotend
Robo 3D
Flashforge creator
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Nylocke »

Can you post a video of it printing? Maybe someone else with a stock hotend can slice what you're trying to print and send the g-code to you to see if thats really it?
stonewater
Printmaster!

Post by stonewater »

if someone wants to download the tensioner from the ultimate rostock things collecftion thats a simple one that will be easy to slice.

Tom C
MAX V1
Corvair750
V6 Hotend
Robo 3D
Flashforge creator
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

Can you attach your gcode here?
stonewater
Printmaster!

Post by stonewater »

here it is done with cura and with matterslice
Attachments
tensioner mc slice.gcode
(1.1 MiB) Downloaded 114 times
tensioner.gcode
(1.86 MiB) Downloaded 102 times
MAX V1
Corvair750
V6 Hotend
Robo 3D
Flashforge creator

Return to “Rostock MAX”