Did I blow up my RAMBo?

All things related to the Rostock MAX 3D Printer, the worlds FIRST Delta kit!
McSlappy
Printmaster!

Did I blow up my RAMBo?

Post by McSlappy »

I built a ghetto enclosure for printing a large ABS print on my Rostock v1.

It was simply a cardboard tube that surrounded the whole machine including the base. It had plenty of rooms for the arms and it maintained an internal temp between 37-40º with the bed at 110º.

Everything seemed to run fine and the print stuck great however here's what's happens now:
- Bed doesn't seem to stop heating after it reaches temp. It keeps climbing (not sure the limit) and will only start cooling when I turn off the bed in Repetier. Even though the bed light is NOT lit and it's showing no power to the bed in Repetier.
- Extruder seems to over-extrude now. Not sure by how much but probably 150% more filament. Before I figured out something was wrong I was running a filament at 0.75 extrusion rate and it was still far too much.

Fuses are all fine.
No obvious melted wiring
Underside of bed looks fine, no melted wires
I loved my Rostock so much I now sell them in Oz :)
BenTheRighteous
Printmaster!

Re: Did I blow up my RAMBo?

Post by BenTheRighteous »

How is it possible that the bed is heating if the light isn't on?
nitewatchman wrote:it was much cleaner and easier than killing a chicken on top of the printer.
PartDaddy
Printmaster!

Post by PartDaddy »

Could be a fried mosfet. Is it our heated bed? Rev? Haven't really had any problems. Rev6 pulled a little too much current the the ATX supplies, so I increased the trace length on Rev7 some to reduce current draw on the PSU.
~PartDaddy
SeeMeCNC Owner & Founder
Blackpoint Engineering is SeeMeCNC
Since 1996
PartDaddy
Printmaster!

Post by PartDaddy »

A loose connection? BEMF could zap the LED possibly.
~PartDaddy
SeeMeCNC Owner & Founder
Blackpoint Engineering is SeeMeCNC
Since 1996
BenTheRighteous
Printmaster!

Yeah, I should've explicitly asked if the light turns on when you purposefully turn the bed heat on.
nitewatchman wrote:it was much cleaner and easier than killing a chicken on top of the printer.
McSlappy
Printmaster!

Post by McSlappy »

Um... Forget the LED. It works... I absent-mindedly looked at the front edge for the lit light but on the V1 it's just below the rear of the bed and I didn't take notice. So yeah it works.

.... OK. So I pulled it apart unplugged bed and thermistor, looked around for issues. Still nothing obvious.

I tested some more and it appears on a 45 or a 60 bed (the only 2 settings I've tested as yet) It gets up to 70º~ and hovers around there...

Just out of curiosity I ran the calibration object through Kiss instead of Cura.
AND IT WORKED PERFECTLY
Bed stayed at 60. Extrusion width was spot on.

So it looks like Cura is somehow buggered. Not sure how or why but it doesn't seem to take any notice of the settings I use for slicing :(

Guess I'd better make a new thread in the Cura sub...
BenTheRighteous
Printmaster!

Have you looked at the gcode to see if it's setting the bed too high? What does the LCD say the target is when the bed is heating?
McSlappy
Printmaster!

Post by McSlappy »

No, didn't think to check the gcode bed setting. The LCD displays the correct temp though.

That killing chicken quote is so relevant...
BenTheRighteous
Printmaster!

Glad you like it ;) I knew it was a winner as soon as I saw it. Props to nitewatchman for eloquently capturing how we all feel about our machine sometimes! ;)

Return to “Rostock MAX”