corsair 750 watt p.s. and the 5 volt rail

All things related to the Rostock MAX 3D Printer, the worlds FIRST Delta kit!
stonewater
Printmaster!

corsair 750 watt p.s. and the 5 volt rail

Post by stonewater »

so reading thru some other forums there seems to be some consensus on adding a resistor to the 5 volt rail of an atx power supply to help it provide better power. I have a Corsair 750 watt atx on my max. but the bed heating times have not reduced themselves much. I have the rev 7 onyx bed and 12 gauge wire from the power supply and to the onyx. I currently do not have a resistor on the 5 volt rail, I did however leave a set of wire 5+ and gnd hanging just in case. I do use a terry towel on the bed to help with heat times.

your thoughts would be appreciated.

Tom C
MAX V1
325 MM carbon arms trick trucks effector mount LED ring heat spreader
Corvair750
V6 Hotend
Robo 3D
Flashforge creator
http://WWW.TeslagenX.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Bedini experimenter kits, books, DVD's
nebbian
Printmaster!

Re: corsair 750 watt p.s. and the 5 volt rail

Post by nebbian »

This might be a stupid question, but I've never heard of anyone using 5V to power the heatbed before... you're not doing that are you? Everyone uses 12V or 24V (Check what your heatbed is rated for).
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

That is not what he means.

The power supply outputs 5V as well. When something is connected to it, somehow the PSU runs better.

I am not a great fan of "Wasting" the power with a resistor.

Find a bunch of 5V led strips and add those.

(I do not have a corsair power supply)
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

I do have a corsair power supply. Most modern power supplies do not need a dummy load, when they are functioning properly. My suggestion is to use the 5V rail to power a USB port, and then charge things off it (not wasting the power, and also nice if you want an R pi for octo-print) You can then, if you find you lack random USB gadgets to plug into it, either buy a USB fridge (cold caffeine is critical), or wire up a dummy plug with a resistor wired between the power and ground rails, if you don't have anything more useful for it.

I personally use the 5V rail to drive a PT100 amplifier as well. You could also look into 5V fans to better cool the rambo. If you do use a resistor, make sure it is either rated for the power dissipation, or is cooled. Those buggers can get hot if misused (one of the guys who teaches electronics in the industrial tech department at my college likes blowing components up, and resistors catch fire nicely)
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

I have found that a load resistor does help the psu put out a bit more voltage and not drop so far when under load.
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
MAX METAL Rostock MAX Printer Frame
NEMESIS Air Delta v1 & v2 -Aluminum delta printers
Rostock MAX "KITT" - Tri-Force Frame
GRABER i3 "Slim"
stonewater
Printmaster!

Post by stonewater »

ok guys thanks I have a 5 watt 12 ohm resistor I can use, that should not draw too much current. I was just gonna zip tie it directly to the fan on top of the power supply. +1 on the 5 volts for something usb. I am planning o octoprint in the future. already have the pi B and the screen ordered.

Tom C
MAX V1
325 MM carbon arms trick trucks effector mount LED ring heat spreader
Corvair750
V6 Hotend
Robo 3D
Flashforge creator
http://WWW.TeslagenX.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Bedini experimenter kits, books, DVD's

Return to “Rostock MAX”