Newest Cura Release

Talk about Cura software here (http://wiki.ultimaker.com/Cura)
MSURunner
Printmaster!

Newest Cura Release

Post by MSURunner »

Haven't really dialed in settings for the Rostock as I've been trying out the newest Cura on the UM for the designer and trying to get Steve's hotend more PLA ready. I think I can once school gets out and I have a day to myself to get it ironed out. On the Cura front, though, Daid has turned the public loose on the newest slicer out there and I'm super impressed. For those that like the simplicity of Cura, you are going to love this even more. Power users beware, it leaves some features out intentionally, so if you like to set your extrusion width AND nozzle diameter, you won't see that option. Anyways, since most of you probably do not want to transition through multiple forums, I'm posting the link here and if you have any comments/concerns you can let me know and I'll pass those on.

FWIW, I believe the center bed wasn't functioning quite correctly on an earlier version of the software, and I haven't checked it recently. First print you are going to want to have the mouse on the emergency kill and/or have the part nearest the front left corner.

http://software.ultimaker.com/Cura_closed_beta/
cambo3d
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Newest Cura Release

Post by cambo3d »

thanks for the heads up..
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

So forgive my ignorance, but what is SteamEngine? It looks like there are two different programs at that link.
MSURunner
Printmaster!

Post by MSURunner »

Steam Engine is the slicing engine behind the latest Cura. What you see there are previous releases with the name still in the title. Cura was formerly built on SkeinForge. Daid worked very diligently to address several issues SF presented.
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

Has anyone else with a Rostock used this software yet? Even though I check the box to place X0,Y0 in the center, it seems that the new Cura version is placing all of my objects outside of the printable area when I view the toolpaths in Repetier.

Anybody else noticed this?

*edit*
I've listed it in the Git issue tracker.
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

13.05.1 was released this morning to address the Rostock bed center issue.

I haven't tested the latest and greatest yet, but 13.05 was awesome. It slices ridiculously fast, lets you place and arrange multiple objects, and has more visualization features than before. It also has a print button, but I haven't tested this yet. Anybody else tried the new software yet?
jmick
Printmaster!

Post by jmick »

I tried it but can't get it to start, so I must need to alter the Gcode start and end I think. Nothing happened after the print command.
Flateric
Printmaster!

Post by Flateric »

If I am not mistaken it is an issue with repetier firmware and cura not liking each other. If you run marlin (which few of us do anymore) it works better I believe. But all of my statements are based off of older versions of cura and both firmwares respectively.

So things may have changed.
"Now you see why evil will always triumph! Because good is dumb." - Spaceballs
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

Here's my start.gcode:
G28
G1 Z300 F3000
M42 P6 S255 ; Turns on PEEK fan

end.gcode:
M104 S0 ; turn off temperature
M140 S0
M42 P6 S0 ; Turn off PEEK fan
G28

I just downloaded and installed the new Cura - I'm printing the little robot model that comes with Cura. The only things I've changed are material temp and bed temp (printing with PLA) and I've turned retraction on. No other settings were changed. I'm using Rhost .90c.

Set the X & Y size to 280mm and the Z height to what you've got it set to in Repetier-Host. (Mine is 360.9)

It's printing right now, but I've got some cooling issues. You might want to back down the speed a bit with the slider in Repetier. :)

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
jmick
Printmaster!

Post by jmick »

You mentioned backing down the speed with Repetier Host. Are you running RH and Cura 13.07 at the same time, or just controlling the speed with RH while Cura runs the Gcode? Not sure whether you meant you somehow replaced Slice 3r with cura or the latter.

Blender 2.66a
Also I put a web site under Blender in the CAD submenu with youtube sites for Blender 3D modeling on blender basic 2 and animation on blender basic 3 and I don't see how you can say blender doesn't match up to mechanical or dimensioned drawing as you can do that all at once in 3d drawing. True you won't have the dimensions drawn on the print unless you put them there, but why would you need them written in if you are to scale and your just using the program for 3d printing and not maching operations?
Flateric
Printmaster!

Post by Flateric »

It appears I am not correct about cura and repetier not liking each other. Last night I was able to use cura and print from cura with both versions of repetier firmware. I did have a lockup still however but this may be due to some other unidentified issue that is being discussed in a different thread.

Perhaps it is simply a comfort thing, but I still prefer the control and visual feedback that repetier host gives as well as the number of options offered during the print and before.

I DO LOVE the indavidual speed adjustments offered for various print functions in cura however. This is really brilliant. Many time I will be watching my print only to wish I had tweaked perimiter speeds or infill speeds better before I had committed to the print. So I love this extra level of control in cura for sure.
"Now you see why evil will always triumph! Because good is dumb." - Spaceballs
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

I only used Cura as a slicer, I didn't use it to send data to the printer.

Blender is a very nice tool. It's NOT a CAD tool. It's NOT an engineering tool. It's a nice modeler. I'd no more draw mechanical parts with Blender than I would use MS Paint to do 3D modeling.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects

Return to “Cura”