Matter Control Software

General hangout discussion area for other non-printing stuff
enggmaug
Printmaster!

Re: Matter Control Software

Post by enggmaug »

Tried with newly released MatterControl 1.1 => same action, same result. Mattercontrol Crashes just the same way.
kevinepope
Prints-a-lot

Post by kevinepope »

If you would like to export your settings and send them to MatterHackers support we'll take a look and see what the issue might be.
enggmaug
Printmaster!

Post by enggmaug »

sure... but tell me again what settings do you need ?

Slicing settings ? Any idea where the file might be ?
kevinepope
Prints-a-lot

Post by kevinepope »

If you can send your slice settings file that would be great. Go to 'Slice Settings' > 'Options' > 'Export', this will allow you to save out your current settings.
kevinepope
Prints-a-lot

Post by kevinepope »

Unconfirmed fix for this issue is now in the pre-release version of MC vanilla. Changing the update feed to 'pre-release' (found in Configuration), and checking for update will put you on this version.
enggmaug
Printmaster!

Post by enggmaug »

I am sorry, I m away from home, and I don't have my machine with me.

Anyway, I tried to see a STL in layer view, without my machine connected. Before the update, it was still crashing, and after, it does work well.

Thank you, I will be able to try it more deeply when I come back home... in 2 months... huhuhuhu I miss my RMax !!

By the way, what was the issue ?
kevinepope
Prints-a-lot

Post by kevinepope »

Glad to hear it. We will be pushing this fix, along with a few others, to general release next week.

The issue was related to cultural settings (specifically comma versus period in numeric displays) and making certain that MC was consistent in its handling when passing slice settings to CuraEngine and MatterSlice.
artexmg
Printmaster!

Post by artexmg »

Hey Kevin, I had seen you've been actively helping people with Matter control, so, now it is my turn :-)

I just upgraded to release 1.1.2, the one for SeemeCNC *it is great! (when it works :-) * (... already bought image converter, by the way ...), over MacOSX 10.9.4, and it keeps crashing and crashing!

Is there any known bug with MacOSX? should I have to get back to 1.1.1?

Please, adivice. I really like Matter Control, it is just that I do not want it to crash :-)
Captain Starfish
Printmaster!

Post by Captain Starfish »

Just did the update, thanks for the warning, took a backup of my 1.1.1 first.

OOOH SHINY NEW TOYS! Triangle and concentric fills, 3D layer preview, bridge fan setting on the slicer and other goodness. Nice work people.

Hasn't bombed on my OSX 10.9.4 yet, but I'll keep an eye on things.

artexmg - might be worth sending an email to MatterHackers Support <[email protected]> with the details in case they haven't seen it here. Start your console app and see if there's any log data in there relating to your MC crashes too. They'll want to know what you're doing when it crashes, and it will help if you export your settings and send those too.
artexmg
Printmaster!

Post by artexmg »

Captain Starfish wrote:Just did the update, thanks for the warning, took a backup of my 1.1.1 first.

OOOH SHINY NEW TOYS! Triangle and concentric fills, 3D layer preview, bridge fan setting on the slicer and other goodness. Nice work people.

Hasn't bombed on my OSX 10.9.4 yet, but I'll keep an eye on things.

artexmg - might be worth sending an email to MatterHackers Support <[email protected]> with the details in case they haven't seen it here. Start your console app and see if there's any log data in there relating to your MC crashes too. They'll want to know what you're doing when it crashes, and it will help if you export your settings and send those too.
Yes, I'll do that, definitely.

Question: are you using SeemeCNC version? or the regular one? I was using the "regular" version 1.1.1 with no trouble.

And YES! it is a nice toy! I (*shame*) bought Simplify 3D and just did not deliver what promised. I mean, it is a nice piece of software, but, overpriced if you consider that there are some bugs.

BUT MC? wooow! and it is opensource!

Cheers!
kevinepope
Prints-a-lot

Post by kevinepope »

Thanks! We are definitely excited about this update. It has some long requested features (such as 3D layer view with accurate extrusion), plus some new fun stuff (like web monitoring).

At the moment the SeeMeCNC and vanilla Mac versions are almost exactly the same so my guess would be that you've got a settings state of some kind that didn't come up in our pre-release testing. If you can send the info we will get a fix included in the next update (which should be relatively soon).

Here is the info on how to send Mac debug info:
http://wiki.mattercontrol.com/Sending_M ... nformation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Captain Starfish
Printmaster!

Nah, I had the version of 1.1.1 I downloaded from their website and just hit the update button on it.
artexmg
Printmaster!

Post by artexmg »

kevinepope wrote:Thanks! We are definitely excited about this update. It has some long requested features (such as 3D layer view with accurate extrusion), plus some new fun stuff (like web monitoring).

At the moment the SeeMeCNC and vanilla Mac versions are almost exactly the same so my guess would be that you've got a settings state of some kind that didn't come up in our pre-release testing. If you can send the info we will get a fix included in the next update (which should be relatively soon).

http://wiki.mattercontrol.com/Sending_M ... nformation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks, this was a fast answer!

I'll play with MC tonight (have to go to my day work now) and will log the session and send the crash info:-)
artexmg
Printmaster!

Post by artexmg »

kevinepope wrote:Thanks! We are definitely excited about this update. It has some long requested features (such as 3D layer view with accurate extrusion), plus some new fun stuff (like web monitoring).

Done!

I sent a couple of emails with crash info ... meanwhile I will have to stick to Win8 (*sigh*) :-)
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

Just installed it and i am fiddling with it.

Being used to Repetier it seems a bit different. But as i am discovering more of the options/features I am liking it more and more.

Has not yet crashed on my mac.
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
RegB
Printmaster!

Post by RegB »

I set it up for development updates, I have had two so far and the version is now showing as 1.1.3

Both 1.1.2 and 1.1.3 throw unhandled exception violations, but the part keeps on printing to the end.
The screen freezes, so minimizing and restoring it just puts up a blank screen.

I'll try to send a dump the next time, though I will first try to figure if it is a known problem.

The update "APPEAR" to try and display the filament trace as it is laid down, somewhat like Repetier does with slic3r.
I think this will be a bit better though, the colors will help provide a better visualization of the paths and potential trouble spots, e.g. retraction points, layer start/end points, etc.

I'm starting to like it, there are several places where 0 can be entered to allow automatic setting of variables.
Captain Starfish
Printmaster!

Lars was telling me he was getting a new dev version out this week, when I get ten seconds tonight I'll grab it and have a play. Disappointing they haven't got that glitch yet, I was demo-ing the printer last week at work and it crashed mid-print two or three times before I rolled back to 1.1.1 in disgust.
RegB
Printmaster!

Post by RegB »

Just found the post on where to send crash info, I will do that at the next unhandled exception - if/when.
RegB
Printmaster!

Post by RegB »

I just printed my test piece again WITHOUT a crash.
It is a 3/8 x 16 socket head bolt about 3/4 inch long.

OK, so what did I change ? (or what DIDN'T I change ?)

I didn't WRITE IT DOWN, but I know that I disabled the support material and the spiral vase.
This thing starts out hollow (the socket recess) and a roof gets built after about 30 layers.
Something ELSE worked this time, the threads didn't turn to a messy spiral of goop and pull away, so I think it somehow allowed more setting time between layers.

The 2D view wasn't well "lip sync'd" to the actual print, it didn't keep up, though this laptop HAS compute power and plenty of memory.
The infill rarely showed, that is triangles so three crossings at 60 degrees to one another does it.

The 3D view also worked while printing, but not until the part was about 30% done.
It SEEMS that the first time I displayed the 3D view it took a snapshot of it and froze there, a LONG time later it took another one and froze, shortly after that it kept up.

BTW, it was hard to find the part in 3D view because it wasn't centered.
For some odd reason it was out at 0,0,0 of a rectangular print table - though matter control KNOWS that it is running a round delta machine.

Ahh well, I'll probably put the spiral vase setting back and try again.
If that doesn't crash it I'll try support material again, although I feel little need for that.
RegB
Printmaster!

Post by RegB »

Something ODD, or I don't understand the controls.

The rotate controls only rotate the VIEW, not the object's orientation on the table.

Example;
A long thin box can be spun around on the Z axis to avoid aligning it with the Z tower and in the view it IS rotated against the SeeMeCNC bed logo, however it still PRINTS aligned to the Z tower (towards and away from me as I face the front of the machine).

In further playing around with the rotate controls I discovered that the same object can be stood on a side edge or even on end and it will still be sliced to the same number of layers.
It is 9.875 x 2.0 x 0.5 inches - I converted it to mm before saving as .stl from the CAD program.
There should be a BIG difference between the layer count for a 0.5 vs 9.875 inch high object.
I have written to Lars on this.

BTW, yes, this part is PUSHING the build envelope a bit - with support material MAYBE it will print along some vertical/diagonal of a cylinder (-:

Repetier_Host appears to handle this properly, i.e. the part can be rotated in any dimension to fit the build cylinder and when sliced it produces about the number of layers expected of simple posed_height/layer_thickness arithmetic.
Whether or not it will actually PRINT successfully with all that support material will be a later issue, but at least it "TRIES" to do it properly (-:
Last edited by RegB on Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Starfish
Printmaster!

That got me too, at first.

Gotta save it, I think, before it sticks for the slicer.
RegB
Printmaster!

Post by RegB »

Thanks Cap'n

& "Duhh"
RegB
Printmaster!

Post by RegB »

Now that THAT is working...
Followup question; How can I make the support material visible ?
Captain Starfish
Printmaster!

The top window, viewing the part, is only looking at the STL. So if you haven't modelled the support then it won't appear there.

The bottom (preview) window, once you hit 'generate', will show the preview of the sliced toolpath and that will include the support material.
RegB
Printmaster!

Post by RegB »

Thanks, but I've been doing that.
I think I need to STUDY support material more, i.e. it ain't there if it hasn't been added because it isn't needed (-:

tnx,

Return to “The Lounge”