What's the longest duration print you have attempted

General hangout discussion area for other non-printing stuff
Qdeathstar
Printmaster!

What's the longest duration print you have attempted

Post by Qdeathstar »

I got a 27hr print going atm, which lead me to wonder what is the largest thing you've ever printed on the romax, and how long did it take.

Also, why do things printed vertically take a lot longer that if they are printed flat? It would seem that the same amount of plastic needs to be extruded....
IMBoring25
Printmaster!

Re: What's the longest duration print you have attempted

Post by IMBoring25 »

I've always preferred to be present and conscious for safety reasons so my longest print so far has run a little over ten hours.

Vertical prints take longer for a couple of reasons. If you are making something small enough that the cooling settings are triggered, it will directly slow down your print.

Even if you're not making something where cooling settings are a factor, imagine a single extrusion in the x-y plane. It all happens at the extrusion speed once acceleration is out of the way. Now imagine a hypothetical "single extrusion" in z. The machine will spurt a point of filament, retract, increment one layer, unretract, and repeat the process. That won't occur anywhere near your normal extrusion speed.

The smaller the feature that's vertically oriented, the closer it is to this perfectly inefficient process AND the more likely cooling settings will be triggered.
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

My max is only 14 hours. I haven't ever felt confident enough in my machine to run it for longer.
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

The longest I've done was estimated at ~33 hours and printed in 40. Came out pretty well actually. I just don't have any pictures of them all together on the build plate, and I don't feel like digging the parts out of their various storage locations.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
gestalt73
Printmaster!

Post by gestalt73 »

I think 65 hours was my absolute longest duration print. That was a while ago, it was a large print, and I was running it at 20mm/s.

Every once in a while I'll have a 12-24 hour print, some are just large full plate prints, others are medium size 100 micron prints.

I just accepted an order for a 55 hour pla print. It's some type of enclosure.
lightninjay
Printmaster!

Post by lightninjay »

Not trying to start a pi**ing contest, but one of my cello pieces clocks in at about 76 hours of straight printing.
If at first you don't succeed, you're doing something wrong. Try again, and if it fails again, try once more. Through trial and error, one can be the first to accomplish something great.
Qdeathstar
Printmaster!

Post by Qdeathstar »

i'm printing a violin right now, but i'd love to print a chello, are you printing that one a stock roma's or a taller version.
jmpreuss
Printmaster!

Post by jmpreuss »

Longest print on a romax 55 hours.
Longest print regardless of printer model 133 hours
PTMNBN="Printer that must not be named" - a heavily upgraded Replicator 2
Eric
Printmaster!

Post by Eric »

Does it count as an attempt if you abort it after 10 minutes to change the fill settings? It was going to take a REALLY long time set to solid-fill....also more filament than I had on hand.
626Pilot
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by 626Pilot »

About 30 hours, I think. It was a figurine, and I printed it at a layer height of 0.075. Came out pretty good!
Last edited by 626Pilot on Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Qdeathstar
Printmaster!

Post by Qdeathstar »

^not on a Rostock?
626Pilot
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by 626Pilot »

Aah, place value error. I printed it on a Rostock MAX v1.
Qdeathstar
Printmaster!

Post by Qdeathstar »

i was gonna say ^_^
crocky
Printmaster!

Post by crocky »

I've got one at 54 hours so far and with 9 or so remaining...

Rostock Max V2, Kisslicer set for very fine detail and PLA, HE280 head and it is a vase thing from thingiverse..
So far....
So far....
Bob
Rostock Max V2, Ball Cup Arms, New Carriages, HE280, Dampers, PSU Breathing, Simplify 3D, GeckoTek3D, Raspberry Pi3. Duet soon... Kossel Mini still under construction.
Delta's are the way!
lightninjay
Printmaster!

Post by lightninjay »

Qdeathstar wrote:i'm printing a violin right now, but i'd love to print a chello, are you printing that one a stock roma's or a taller version.
I print on a /mostly/ stock RoMax v2. I sliced my cello into four 300mm tall pieces for the main body, so that easily fits within the Rostock's build height.
If at first you don't succeed, you're doing something wrong. Try again, and if it fails again, try once more. Through trial and error, one can be the first to accomplish something great.
crocky
Printmaster!

Post by crocky »

Finished at 63:28, whew!!!
Done....
Done....
Now to design and print a hanger for a hair dryer (xmas present for the wife) and then the Duet modification starts....
Bob
Rostock Max V2, Ball Cup Arms, New Carriages, HE280, Dampers, PSU Breathing, Simplify 3D, GeckoTek3D, Raspberry Pi3. Duet soon... Kossel Mini still under construction.
Delta's are the way!

Return to “The Lounge”