Will insurance cover a home fire?

General hangout discussion area for other non-printing stuff
Brendan
Prints-a-lot

Will insurance cover a home fire?

Post by Brendan »

Hello guys I was wondering, if a rostock caught in flames while one was not home and let's say burnt the house down. Would the state insurance or any insurance at all that anyone has, pay for it?? I have been reading articles from users on other forums saying insurance would not pay for a fire caused by any 3d printers. If anything, could someone send me a link from an official resource so I can show my teacher, he really would like to know as well.
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Will insurance cover a home fire?

Post by Xenocrates »

It is very dependent on the policy. Appliance fires are in general covered. However, printers such as the Rostock or most of the other kit printers are not UL listed. Also is the question of how a printer would catch fire. Most of the situations I can think of involve a lack of maintenance or user error, neither of which are covered as well by most insurance. For example, failing to secure a heating element or sensor would be considered to be your fault. However, the firmware has improved such that a heater getting loose on it's own will likely be shut down, while a sensor would either decouple or pop the thermal fuse. If a MOSFET on the controller burnt short, there are ways to prevent this from destroying the rest of the machine, such as the use of thermal fuses as is present on the hotend, while the bed lacks sufficient wattage to reach ignition temperatures in the stock format. If the power supply was the source of the fire, then the manufacturer of that unit would be potentially liable.

TL;DR, it depends, but generally yes if you're not an idiot with it (Although this is unlikely to cause a fire), and no if you are an idiot with it, which is much more likely to cause a fire. However, be aware that a serious fire would likely wipe out most evidence of getting it right or wrong, so depending on the investigators and insurance company, it could easily go either way. My suggestion is to work from the assumption that any safety that isn't hard-wired isn't safe, and put a small form factor thermal fuse on both the hotend heatsink (Right next to the V3's or between fins on a V6), and under the bed (Potentially multiple), in series, such that if one fails they all lose connection, and have a MECHANICAL relay to switch the AC power. I stress mechanical because it is less likely to fail closed, and that with AC power, it will be at a zero power state 60 times per second, making it potentially easier for it to break the current. This then brings up the question of how to power said relay as until it switches, there will be no AC power, and thus no potential for DC power. I would have the relay mounted such that the test button is exposed through the same side panel as the power switch. For example, this one.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
Eric
Printmaster!

Post by Eric »

It's a good question, but I don't think you're going to find a black and white answer, as insurance policies can vary dramatically even from the same agent. As for your personal situation, find your insurance policy and read the fine print. A good exercise in any case...you may find all sorts of exclusions you never knew about.

All of the 3d printer suppliers do not recommend unattended operation. Legally, they pretty much have to say that to cover their butts for liability reasons. Plus it's probably good advice in the first place, even if widely ignored.
Qdeathstar
Printmaster!

Post by Qdeathstar »

Ask your agent....
Ravitch
Printmaster!

Post by Ravitch »

I have USAA and have it in writing that they cover it. But they also covered one side of the house that I burned up when my full soda can ashtray blew off the deck and into the bushes along the side of the house, waking up at 5AM with a wall of flame outside my bedroom window. So usaa is awesome and I quit smoking :)
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

Ravitch wrote:I have USAA and have it in writing that they cover it. But they also covered one side of the house that I burned up when my full soda can ashtray blew off the deck and into the bushes along the side of the house, waking up at 5AM with a wall of flame outside my bedroom window. So usaa is awesome and I quit smoking :)
I have USAA as-well. We've replaced our roof twice in the last 5 years from wind/hail damage. They didn't even send an adjuster out to view the damage. Just had to send a quote from the local roofer and they deposited the funds into my checking. $15K each time...
626Pilot
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by 626Pilot »

Ravitch wrote:side of the house that I burned up when my full soda can ashtray blew off the deck and into the bushes along the side of the house, waking up at 5AM with a wall of flame outside my bedroom window
Wha???

Return to “The Lounge”