Hectic! But nice.

General hangout discussion area for other non-printing stuff
gchristopher
Printmaster!

Re: Hectic! But nice.

Post by gchristopher »

Okay. I was just starting to get worried, since the last email said "We expect it to be a matter of days, not weeks" and since then they've been quiet and Zesty_Lykle hasn't been on the forums this month.

I hope it's going okay for them!
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Yeah, I've had a pre-production one for a few weeks (since before MRRF). I am getting the production parts soon so I can comment on the actual production unit. Now that we've sorted the retract speed issue and I'm able to do retracts up to 25mm/s I am getting some nice looking parts. It really is a compact little bugger and well designed from a mechanical and aesthetic perspective. Not difficult to mount in an effector either. I'm thinking about painting my extruder coupler red/white like a barber pole so I can see it turning! It really moves, especially during retracts.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
626Pilot
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by 626Pilot »

How are you mounting the stepper? Can we see photos of how everything is set up?
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

This is on a K250 delta but you get the idea. On an RMAX you can't use the back slot of the tower but you could use the side slot and maybe a printed bracket to wrap it around if necessary.

I still consider the Nimble to be experimental. It will have to demonstrate itself in the long haul over many types of filaments and prints. However, I have completely eliminated Bowden systems from all of my single extrusion deltas and the Nimble allows doing that on the smaller printers like the K250 and Mini Kossel. The difference in print quality with direct drive more than makes up for the loss of Z height and the theoretical "underslung vs over the effector" mounting. The Rostock MAX is a beefy enough printer for the Bondtech BMG or E3D Titan Aero direct drives. I can vouch for both of these in the reliability and "superb print results" department. The Aero is producing some of the best PLA prints I've done. See part below.
FullSizeRender 79.jpg
FullSizeRender 78.jpg
FullSizeRender 77.jpg
Bondtech BMG
IMG_7697.JPG
E3D Titan Aero
FullSizeRender 76 small.jpg
The part has 100s of short segment moves and hops to print the teeth. The Bondtech BMG extruder does a remarkably nice job but I get a string here and there (nothing significant). But this part was flawless and it was the first part I printed with the Aero. I think the integrated extruder/hot end with its significantly reduced path helps but it also harkens back to my "Kraken days" of water cooling. I always got superb results with the Kraken when single extruding too and I attributed that to the more efficient water cooling reducing the temperature transition zone. Interestingly, the Aero has a huge heat sink and monster fan so it might be doing something similar.
FullSizeRender 76.jpg

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
gchristopher
Printmaster!

Post by gchristopher »

I just got a shipping notification for a Nimble! :)
Zesty_Lykle
Printmaster!

Post by Zesty_Lykle »

You will have it now or tomorrow I think.
Will be nice to see your results.

Happy that we are shipping and you guys finally get to work with the Nimble.

Do not miss the documentation we have set up. http://zestytechnology.readthedocs.io
Lykle
Design life, and enjoy.
Qdeathstar
Printmaster!

Post by Qdeathstar »

I got mine today. It was packaged well. It looks well made :) I'm sort of worried about its ability to push filament through, because the thing that applies the pressure is so small. But, i'm not even close to an expert so i'm probably worried about nothing ;)

It's going to be a little while before i get it going but it looks nice thus far.
gchristopher
Printmaster!

Post by gchristopher »

The dinosaurs checked the mailbox today and found a present from New Zealand! The box was a little bit battered from the trip, but everything inside looked fine.

[img]http://gchristopher.net/3dprinting/stega_nimble.jpg[/img]

Next up will be an adapter for the 713maker mount and then testing it out. The full configuration will be 713maker effector plate and mount, Berd-Air, Zesty Nimble extruder, and IR Probe. Should be fun to play with!
Zesty_Lykle
Printmaster!

Post by Zesty_Lykle »

Nice photo!

Glad that the stuff has arrived and would love to hear the results!

Lykle
Lykle
Design life, and enjoy.
Qdeathstar
Printmaster!

Post by Qdeathstar »

I wish your website had forums so that people with the extruder could talk about it together yet.

I'm also slightly disappointed that although I bought two zesty nimbles, I can only use them in a dual extrusion setup because the nylon parts for the single extruder option weren't included.
gchristopher
Printmaster!

Post by gchristopher »

It's already cranking out prints!

Printing Ninjaflex with the Nimble:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DUHsa61vbc

Testing the Ninjaflex:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMynhUNYPhM

The only issue I've run into so far is with the colorfabb bronzefill filament, which I strongly suspect goes over 1.75mm at places. The breech loader is a little hard to close firmly over that filament, and didn't stay closed on one print.
Zesty_Lykle
Printmaster!

Post by Zesty_Lykle »

Loving the dinos, but then I said that already.

Nice to see Ninjaflex being printed. it was one of the reasons I really wanted a direct drive extruder.
Regarding the breech block, we are looking into it, but our production versions have no issues, so it is hard to determine if there is a problem or not. Send me some more info if it happens again, ok?

Lykle
Lykle
Design life, and enjoy.

Return to “The Lounge”