Push to Fit Alternative??

General hangout discussion area for other non-printing stuff
AndThenSome09
Printmaster!

Push to Fit Alternative??

Post by AndThenSome09 »

Is there an alternative to the push to fit bowden tube connectors? One of my push to fit connectors no longer grabs the tube when I push it in so my tube keeps pushing out. If I wrap some kapton tape around the connector and the tube you think that will hold for a while? Im really strapped for cash, cant find a job and unemployment is ending so I really cant buy a new one no matter how cheap they are. Do you guys think tape would work or any other suggestions?? thanks guys!
3D Printing Blog, Build, News, and Store

Come check us out @ http://www.i3dtech.net
bubbasnow
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Push to Fit Alternative??

Post by bubbasnow »

cant you flip the ezstruder around and make it a direct drive?
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

AndThenSome09 wrote:Is there an alternative to the push to fit bowden tube connectors? One of my push to fit connectors no longer grabs the tube when I push it in so my tube keeps pushing out. If I wrap some kapton tape around the connector and the tube you think that will hold for a while? Im really strapped for cash, cant find a job and unemployment is ending so I really cant buy a new one no matter how cheap they are. Do you guys think tape would work or any other suggestions?? thanks guys!
Using tape is not the optimum solution but considering the hardships you are experiencing tape will work fine. I sincerely hope that your hardships are only temporary and you will once
again find meaningful employment.
AndThenSome09
Printmaster!

Post by AndThenSome09 »

Thank you for that eagle, lord knows I'm not the type to give up, I always find a way. Just a temporary setback. But I did find a better solution and that was to epoxy the tube to the push to fit that wasn't grabbing the tube as I found on another post regarding stronger PTF connectors.

AndThenSome09
Printmaster!

Post by AndThenSome09 »

actually I take that back, neither the tape or epoxy worked :evil: I don't know what to do but I can not print without the tube in place

Batteau62
Printmaster!

Post by Batteau62 »

I haven't experienced this yet(knock on wood) but I have a theory for a quick fix. Let me see if I can explain...basically put your bowden tube inside another tube and clamp/zip tie at both ends just below or on the fitting. The fix tube would have to be just large enough ID to allow the fittings in, a stretch fit would be optimal. The length of the fix tube shouldl not allow the original tube enough "wiggle" to come out of the fitting. Might work? If you can source the fix tube? At least long enough to get a printing fix and or replacement part :D

P.S. Please see the Thomas Edison quote in my signature for an explanation of crack pot idea ;)
-"Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool."
-"As soon as you make something fool proof...along comes an idiot."
-"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." ~Thomas Edison
Toyguy
Printmaster!

Post by Toyguy »

Have you talked to SeeMeCNC about it? Seems a bit early for that to have failed - they might replace it for you.
AndThenSome09
Printmaster!

Post by AndThenSome09 »

I dont know if I can find a tube to do that but I will search through all my stuff to see if I have anything that will work.

As far as talking to seemecnc, I hadnt thought about that, I guess its worth a shot :D .

Thanks for the help guys.

Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

bubbasnow wrote:cant you flip the ezstruder around and make it a direct drive?
Do you know if the EZStruder will accept a groove mount hotend such as an E3D to be used in direct drive mode.
I am not sure what you meant by flip the ezstruder around and make it a direct drive.
AndThenSome09
Printmaster!

Post by AndThenSome09 »

the part that has the aluminum piece that the PTF connector screws into, you'll notice if you look at it on the other side is made to fit any sort of groove mount hot end for setup as a direct drive. You can take that part off and turn it around to run as a direct drive.

The only thing that is holding right now is that I took some electrical tape and tightly wrapped it around the tube probably 3 inches bellow where the PTF is all the way up to the PTF connector then tightly wrapped around the PTF. I figured I would give it as much surface to hold on to as I thought it would need, the tube moves a bit but doesnt come out.

AndThenSome09
Printmaster!

Post by AndThenSome09 »

well the tape didn't hold either! Man there is a lot of force there, I never realized until now.

I've emailed seemecnc, hopefully they can come to my rescue since it is only a couple months old and that was the first time the tube was disconnected. For those wondering yes i'm sure I did it correctly, lol.

dpmacri
Printmaster!

Post by dpmacri »

I had this problem happen shortly after my Rmax was up and running. I eventually ended up buying connectors through Amazon, but before they arrived, I did three things. First, I use a razor blade to shave a little bit off the outer edge of the tube. Then I threaded a nut onto the tube. The nut was one of the extras from the build. I suspect it's a nut for a 6-32 screw or maybe a 4-40. Once I had the nut on about 3/4 of an inch (maybe more, I'm doing this from recall), I inserted the tube back into the broken connector and wound it tightly with Kapton tape. Having the nut there gave a good hold for making a tighter connection. It worked for a while before my replacements arrived.
neurascenic
Printmaster!

Post by neurascenic »

Part of the problem you are having with your "patches" is that the material the tube is made from us super stable. there are a number of plastics like this. HDPE, etc... Think Teflon, the same reason it works so well from burn't food in your frying pan.

Some of these plastics do have binders that go with them. I had to go to a company that specializes in such stuff to get an epoxy so that I could repair a HDPE tub ($500 shipping container that got hit with a forklift)

I don't know off the top of my head what would work for PTFE. To make it more complicated, you have to consider what the PTC connector is using, though if you over apply it, I suppose you could get it to bond to the casing.

Best to you!
I am a fool entrapped within my own wisdom.
dpmacri
Printmaster!

Post by dpmacri »

Also, buying a specialty binder probably isn't worth it. You can get one connector from Amazon (with Prime shipping if you have it) here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0065R ... UTF8&psc=1. My guess would be that specialty glue would be more expensive :-)
dpmacri
Printmaster!

Post by dpmacri »

And I just realized that there's an even cheaper one: http://www.amazon.com/SMC-KQ2H04-M5A-Co ... s_indust_1. I've tried the one in the first link I posted (I'm using one on my MAX right now :-)). Haven't tried the item from the second link.
neurascenic
Printmaster!

Post by neurascenic »

dpmacri wrote:Also, buying a specialty binder probably isn't worth it. You can get one connector from Amazon (with Prime shipping if you have it) here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0065R ... UTF8&psc=1. My guess would be that specialty glue would be more expensive :-)

Tis True, especially considering you would need to by 30X the amount you would need for such a job.
I am a fool entrapped within my own wisdom.
AndThenSome09
Printmaster!

Post by AndThenSome09 »

I wanted to give everyone an update.... SeeMeCNC is sending me a replacement PTC fitting UPS 2nd day air! I thought that was cool alone just sending me the replacement but the fact that they are throwing in 2nd day air mail thru UPS is just icing on the cake! lol :D Those guys are great!

I have always been impressed with SeeMeCNC's customer care, it is exceptional! They are not the type to just sell you a product and forget about you, they really seem to have a deep passion for this which is great!

Return to “The Lounge”