E3D V6 Hot End Thread

General hangout discussion area for other non-printing stuff
apostoly
Printmaster!

E3D V6 Hot End Thread

Post by apostoly »

Thought id kick off an official thread for the E3d V6.

I received my V6 Today.. Wired everything up to the hotend but not to the printer just yet. Im using Mcslappys mount he designed which seems to fit just great.

One question though, they provided a normal piece of PTFE tubing and then another 170mm Long piece. Not sure what this is for?? There is no mention of having to put any tubing in the hotend like you do the Stock seemecnc one. I thought it was just one single connection from the extruder down through the coupling and finally into the heat break??

Here are some pictures
[img]http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h451/apostoly1/1920265_10152135129858595_3429962834213194559_n-1.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h451/apostoly1/10352790_10152158560418595_2708449980497256214_n.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h451/apostoly1/10374021_10152158560258595_8640690841047707236_n.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h451/apostoly1/10264148_10152158560333595_4616286717956367335_o.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h451/apostoly1/10273301_10152158560363595_3084015401422816023_o.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h451/apostoly1/10299114_10152158565188595_5485189403768766507_n.jpg[/img]
brent
Printmaster!

Re: E3D V6 Hot End Thread

Post by brent »

Looks really nice. Have you tried it with flexible filament yet?
apostoly
Printmaster!

Post by apostoly »

brent wrote:Looks really nice. Have you tried it with flexible filament yet?
Its not connected Just yet but I intend to
McSlappy
Printmaster!

Post by McSlappy »

Looking cool!
Can't wait to see some pics from it!
I loved my Rostock so much I now sell them in Oz :)
apostoly
Printmaster!

Post by apostoly »

ok so just finished reconnecting everything and want to change the thermistor type the semitec one as per the instructions.

In config h in arduino there are two options - EXT0 and EXT1,Which one are we supposed to be changing for the hotend? Im assuming EXT0 but i just changed both as i only have 1 hotend anyway.

Rep Host also doesn't allow me to go past 247 degrees.. Any clues why that is?

Doesnt look like the PID is correct eiyher, the lin is jaggered as its going from a set temp of 247 to 248 and then down to 245.8
apostoly
Printmaster!

Post by apostoly »

ok so further testing, on 200 degrees its nice and stable - 228 degrees nice and stable - Is it normal to get out of whack when heating up in the high 240 degree and above range?

I still have the problem of not being able to put the hotend above 247 degrees (not that im going to run it at that temp, but just following the intructions received by E3d
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

apostoly wrote:ok so further testing, on 200 degrees its nice and stable - 228 degrees nice and stable - Is it normal to get out of whack when heating up in the high 240 degree and above range?

I still have the problem of not being able to put the hotend above 247 degrees (not that im going to run it at that temp, but just following the intructions received by E3d
Look in your firmware configuration.h and see if you have a Max Temperature set at 247 or so.
If you find it, you will need to change it and reupload to the firmware.
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
apostoly
Printmaster!

Post by apostoly »

Eaglezsoar wrote:
apostoly wrote:ok so further testing, on 200 degrees its nice and stable - 228 degrees nice and stable - Is it normal to get out of whack when heating up in the high 240 degree and above range?

Look in your firmware configuration.h and see if you have a Max Temperature set at 247 or so.
If you find it, you will need to change it and reupload to the firmware.
Done Thanks.. Should have known that!!

Thanks Eagle

Paul.
heathenx
Printmaster!

Post by heathenx »

Well done! I just ordered an e3dv6 yesterday. It looks like I printed the same hotend mount as you too. I'm really looking forward to using it.

I am interested in knowing what I have to do to the firmware though. I thought you just disconnect the stock hotend and replace with the new one. Only modification would be in the slicer setttings. Am I wrong? Can you go into detail about which settings that we have to modify?
McSlappy
Printmaster!

Post by McSlappy »

heathenx wrote:Well done! I just ordered an e3dv6 yesterday. It looks like I printed the same hotend mount as you too. I'm really looking forward to using it.

I am interested in knowing what I have to do to the firmware though. I thought you just disconnect the stock hotend and replace with the new one. Only modification would be in the slicer setttings. Am I wrong? Can you go into detail about which settings that we have to modify?
Open the Configuration.h in the Arduino software and search for:
#define MAXTEMP

By default it's set to 240, but with the e3d you can up it to 300 safely.

Also you commented that you'd like the 3d file for the mount on Repables, do you still need it and what format would you like?
apostoly
Printmaster!

Post by apostoly »

heathenx wrote:Well done! I just ordered an e3dv6 yesterday. It looks like I printed the same hotend mount as you too. I'm really looking forward to using it.

I just changed the thermistor type as shown below.

// ##########################################################################################
// ## Extruder configuration ##
// ##########################################################################################

// for each extruder, fan will stay on until extruder temperature is below this value
#define EXTRUDER_FAN_COOL_TEMP 50

#define EXT0_X_OFFSET 0
#define EXT0_Y_OFFSET 0
// for skeinforge 40 and later, steps to pull the plasic 1 mm inside the extruder, not out. Overridden if EEPROM activated.
#define EXT0_STEPS_PER_MM 92.4 // EZStruder
// What type of sensor is used?
// 1 is 100k thermistor (Epcos B57560G0107F000 - RepRap-Fab.org and many other)
// 2 is 200k thermistor
// 3 is mendel-parts thermistor (EPCOS G550)
// 4 is 10k thermistor
// 8 is ATC Semitec 104GT-2
// 5 is userdefined thermistor table 0
// 6 is userdefined thermistor table 1
// 7 is userdefined thermistor table 2
// 50 is userdefined thermistor table 0 for PTC thermistors
// 51 is userdefined thermistor table 0 for PTC thermistors
// 52 is userdefined thermistor table 0 for PTC thermistors
// 60 is AD8494, AD8495, AD8496 or AD8497 (5mV/degC and 1/4 the price of AD595 but only MSOT_08 package)
// 97 Generic thermistor table 1
// 98 Generic thermistor table 2
// 99 Generic thermistor table 3
// 100 is AD595
// 101 is MAX6675
// 102 is MAX31855
#define EXT0_TEMPSENSOR_TYPE 8
heathenx
Printmaster!

Post by heathenx »

Ah, alright. So all that I have to do is change the max temp and I should be good to go. Thanks for that.

Yes, if you could supply a CAD file for us then we would be grateful. I use Inventor but I'm sure everyone would appreciate a step file for neutral compatibility.

The reason for the step file is because I thought I might remove the standoffs and replace those with aluminum standoffs...for no other reason than I like the looks. I could modify your stl in blender or 3DS Max but it's a dirtier way to go about it.

Thank-you

By the way, I printed your repables version in ABS and PLA. Both came out quite nicely.

@apostoly
OK. Is that what we are supposed to do with the e3dv6 or is that something special that you did?
McSlappy
Printmaster!

Post by McSlappy »

No problems Heathen, I'll add a generic CAD format (I'm still not sure what you mean by 'step') to the repables page.

@apostoly
Did e3d say to change those values? I don't remember ever doing that so I'm curious :)
heathenx
Printmaster!

Post by heathenx »

A STEP file (.stp, .step) is a standard neutral/exchange 3D cad format. It's a newer standard than an IGES file, for instance. Most modern CAD systems can import that format. On the other hand, SolidWorks or Inventor native file types are proprietary formats. Some CAD systems can import or export to those formats but not all can.

Update: I just saw on repables that you modeled the parts in 3DS, which means that you don't have solid models. A .sat export or the original 3DS files would work. I don't want to be a pain in the a$$...so no big deal.
McSlappy
Printmaster!

Post by McSlappy »

Alright, I'll put a few formats up there :)
apostoly
Printmaster!

Post by apostoly »

McSlappy wrote:No problems Heathen, I'll add a generic CAD format (I'm still not sure what you mean by 'step') to the repables page.

@apostoly
Did e3d say to change those values? I don't remember ever doing that so I'm curious :)
I was just following the video instructions where he sais make sure you select the right thermistor in your firmware??

So i chose the semitec one as thats what e3d provides.

Im getting the feeling i should have just left it the way it was?
apostoly
Printmaster!

Post by apostoly »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr02pG58gaU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you go to 4:38 he sais to change the settings in the firmware.

I have noticed my Temp is not as smooth as it used to be so i could be wrong.. Can anyone clarify this?
apostoly
Printmaster!

Post by apostoly »

here is my first print

still have major curling issues but hopefully the pei should fix that in another months time will its delivered.

Im thinking the infill gaps could be a slicer issue? I am pritning with stock seemecnc settings.

[img]http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h451/apostoly1/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140608_170637.jpg[/img][img]http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h451/apostoly1/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140608_170732.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h451/apostoly1/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140608_170749.jpg[/img]
McSlappy
Printmaster!

Post by McSlappy »

Ooh nice the belt tensioners :)

No, if e3d says to do it, I'd go with it. I realise that I never did because I'm using the screw type thermistor instead of their one :)

Slic3r does tend to put those gaps in :/ which is one reason I ditched it. That and the ridiculously tiny little infills it did which did nothing useful.

Are you printing with a brim? I added a 4mm to whatever I was doing out of ABS all the time, it just doesn't stay down otherwise.
apostoly
Printmaster!

Post by apostoly »

McSlappy wrote:Ooh nice the belt tensioners :)

No, if e3d says to do it, I'd go with it. I realise that I never did because I'm using the screw type thermistor instead of their one :)

Slic3r does tend to put those gaps in :/ which is one reason I ditched it. That and the ridiculously tiny little infills it did which did nothing useful.

Are you printing with a brim? I added a 4mm to whatever I was doing out of ABS all the time, it just doesn't stay down otherwise.
I just printed out one of those flat cams which stuck down fine with the help of a glue stick, but then again its a completely flat part

I have no brim added. Ill add it on now and give it a go. Ill try it with Kiss also
apostoly
Printmaster!

Post by apostoly »

apostoly wrote:
McSlappy wrote:Ooh nice the belt tensioners :)

I just printed out one of those flat cams which stuck down fine with the help of a glue stick, but then again its a completely flat part

I have no brim added. Ill add it on now and give it a go. Ill try it with Kiss also
Sliced it with the new cura and added a massive brim - No curling Finally :)!!!!!!

Thank Mcslappy - Now to print the other two in the morning

Still might be over extruding a tad, might do the extruder calibration tomorrow also.

I also found that the added supports on the actual model did not print for whatever reason. More investigating to be done unless someone knows why this happened in cura?
heathenx
Printmaster!

Post by heathenx »

@apostoly

In the Tom's Guide assembly video he mentions PID tuning, however, you didn't mention it. Did you do that? Do we need to do that? Or are we good to go without changing anything? I ran across this video regarding PID tuning. Not sure if it's relevant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... f6C0AiQ41k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
apostoly
Printmaster!

Post by apostoly »

heathenx wrote:@apostoly

In the Tom's Guide assembly video he mentions PID tuning, however, you didn't mention it. Did you do that? Do we need to do that? Or are we good to go without changing anything? I ran across this video regarding PID tuning. Not sure if it's relevant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... f6C0AiQ41k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes you definitely do. Just follow the same process as you did when building your printer. Should be in the manual - Go to page 211 in the latest manual.

Send the command M303 S200 in Repetier Host

"The values that you're interested in are the “Kp”, “Ki” and “Kd” values. There are three blocks
of these values, each under the heading “Classic PID”. Create an average of all the values (add up all
the Kp values, divide by three. Do the same with the Ki and Kd values) and we'll get them added to the
proper spot in the EEPROM table.?

Paul
heathenx
Printmaster!

Post by heathenx »

Received my E3Dv6 hotend today. So far I have the hotend pre-assemled. If I have time tomorrow I plan to install it on my RMax. Hope everything goes well.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

apostoly wrote:
heathenx wrote:@apostoly

Yes you definitely do. Just follow the same process as you did when building your printer. Should be in the manual - Go to page 211 in the latest manual.

Send the command M303 S200 in Repetier Host

"The values that you're interested in are the “Kp”, “Ki” and “Kd” values. There are three blocks
of these values, each under the heading “Classic PID”. Create an average of all the values (add up all
the Kp values, divide by three. Do the same with the Ki and Kd values) and we'll get them added to the
proper spot in the EEPROM table.?

Paul
Good answer Paul!
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”

Return to “The Lounge”