New CraftWare Slicer

General hangout discussion area for other non-printing stuff
heathenx
Printmaster!

New CraftWare Slicer

Post by heathenx »

So, Craftware is pretty interesting. It has some nice (unique) features, including custom supports like S3D. I've gotten it installed but haven't printed anything with it yet. Only works on Windows for the time being and it's still in beta. Anyone else try it yet?

http://www.craftunique.com/craftware" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attachments
clippy.png
jesse
Printmaster!

Re: New CraftWare Slicer

Post by jesse »

Yes, I posted a thread about it: http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5827" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's pretty good. The developers will update the slicer if you send them bug reports.
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

I had not seen this one yet. I will give it a try.
Thanks for posting the link.
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
MAX METAL Rostock MAX Printer Frame
NEMESIS Air Delta v1 & v2 -Aluminum delta printers
Rostock MAX "KITT" - Tri-Force Frame
GRABER i3 "Slim"
heathenx
Printmaster!

Post by heathenx »

Sorry for double posting, jesse.
McSlappy
Printmaster!

Post by McSlappy »

Yeah I've tried it and I love the interface as well as the awesome way they present the custom options. I'm not sure if I had a buggy version but I couldn't actually get it to export gcode. I have since downloaded the latest version, but am working through some errors.
I really like this slicer's controls, but I'll need to get it running and test for my verdict! I'm hopeful!
I loved my Rostock so much I now sell them in Oz :)
Tinyhead
Printmaster!

Post by Tinyhead »

Very cool. Didn't see the original thread. Going to check this out right now.
lightninjay
Printmaster!

Post by lightninjay »

Just for the record, I've managed to make some pretty sweet prints with CraftWare, especially with the ability to place custom supports (much like the coveted S3D support feature).

I really encourage those of you who have yet to really try and tune craftware to your printer's settings, to earnestly try, as it also has a custom raft option that you may find useful as well (I know I have)

It also features the popular triangular infill of matterslicer
If at first you don't succeed, you're doing something wrong. Try again, and if it fails again, try once more. Through trial and error, one can be the first to accomplish something great.
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

Are there any good learning resources for it? Online tutorial videos and such, or is it pretty easy to pick up?
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

I find it very easy to use and understand... easier than Matter Slice with it's complicated and confusing setting methodology.

I have not printed with CW but it makes some good looking code and the interactive supports are awesome.
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
MAX METAL Rostock MAX Printer Frame
NEMESIS Air Delta v1 & v2 -Aluminum delta printers
Rostock MAX "KITT" - Tri-Force Frame
GRABER i3 "Slim"
lightninjay
Printmaster!

Post by lightninjay »

+1 for the easier than matterslice comment. You set the settings for your printer dimensions similar to RepetierHost, and then it's just a simple matter of tweaking the model with rotation, scale, and positioning controls, checking your nozzle settings, slicing your model and sending it to the printer, I do so by putting exported gcode on SD, but I'm sure importing the code into a host like RepetierHost wouldn't be an issue.

It has a "workflow" oriented workspace is the best way I can explain it.

First screen you select files and arrange them, then you can either choose to move to the custom support tab and let it auto-generate supports for you, or you can place them where you want. Once that's done, you click slice and it pulls up the, in my opinion, well-labeled slicing settings, that also makes it very convenient to make different profiles for different filaments.

After the slicing has finished, it allows you to inspect your gcode with a user-friendly, yet highly informational slicing interface which can even take you to a specific point within a layer in the gcode.

Highly comprehensive program and much work seems to have been done to make this a high-quality, free product.
If at first you don't succeed, you're doing something wrong. Try again, and if it fails again, try once more. Through trial and error, one can be the first to accomplish something great.
Batteau62
Printmaster!

Post by Batteau62 »

Very impressed with this! Has anyone printed with it yet? Conclusions?
-"Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool."
-"As soon as you make something fool proof...along comes an idiot."
-"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." ~Thomas Edison
lightninjay
Printmaster!

Post by lightninjay »

I print with it routinely, and I love the results. It even allows you control over the gap between a start and end of a perimeter to help eliminate blobbing in the exterior finish.
0110-m-p
Printmaster!

Post by 0110-m-p »

Just installed this and at first glance it looks amazing. I really love the flow-based layout and how intuitive and complete the slice settings are. Will take a bit to tweak all the settings, but it looks very powerful. I think I'll give it a go today.
Current Machines || Rostock Max (V1) | V3DR ||
Previous Machines || Flashforge Creator Pro ||
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

I didn't see a nozzle setting, I assume you have to change the layer width to match the nozzle diameter? Or did I miss something?
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
lightninjay
Printmaster!

Post by lightninjay »

Spot on. I've even gotten mixed results printing with a .35 head with an extrusion width of .21 and flow percentage of 75%

Ran two wall perimeters and it made a significantly thin structure.
Batteau62
Printmaster!

Post by Batteau62 »

Is there a setting for "Z-lift (KISSlicer) aka Z hop (Cura)"?
-"Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool."
-"As soon as you make something fool proof...along comes an idiot."
-"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." ~Thomas Edison
lightninjay
Printmaster!

Post by lightninjay »

Batteau62 wrote:Is there a setting for "Z-lift (KISSlicer) aka Z hop (Cura)"?
None that I can see which are blatantly obvious, but I have noticed that its wipe and retraction settings handle printing most objects well enough without a Z hop.
dunginhawk
Printmaster!

Post by dunginhawk »

so i just tried the slicer (i like it so far) but when i went to print, it came down to the bed super slow, then sped off the plate. i had a finger on the on off switch.
is there somewhere we need to tell it what printer we have etc? i dont remember setting that up.
i love the interface though.
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

Just checked and they have a mac version.

It is 1.06 whereas windows is up to 1.08.

I shall give it a try once I make it back home.
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

dunginhawk wrote:so i just tried the slicer (i like it so far) but when i went to print, it came down to the bed super slow, then sped off the plate. i had a finger on the on off switch.
is there somewhere we need to tell it what printer we have etc? i dont remember setting that up.
i love the interface though.
Bottom, right hand side, there is an "options" button. That is where you set up the printer shape and size.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
dunginhawk
Printmaster!

Post by dunginhawk »

anyone else find a lot of the settings in there confusing? I had no idea what to do for half of them... i havent gotten any print to work right with this slicer yet... although I think ill really like it if they ever come out with a guide :)
lightninjay
Printmaster!

Post by lightninjay »

Here's the options and slicing settings I'm currently using for 1.75mm PLA. Make sure to input the closest whole number to YOUR machine's Z height. There is an option in the slicing settings to offset the Z-height at a more precise level, so don't fret ;)
Options menu configuration
Options menu configuration
PLA1.75settings.txt
If necessary, change the txt extension to ".cwsp" then import these in the slicing menu
(3.15 KiB) Downloaded 205 times
dunginhawk
Printmaster!

Post by dunginhawk »

thanks LJ
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

There was an update recently (between installing it a month ago and trying to use it this week). Anybody know what changed?
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

Jimustanguitar wrote:There was an update recently (between installing it a month ago and trying to use it this week). Anybody know what changed?
All I caught in the log was bug fixes.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2

Return to “The Lounge”