is slow better?

General hangout discussion area for other non-printing stuff
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

is slow better?

Post by teoman »

Is slow better? And if so by how much.

say i will be going to bed and fire up the printer with a 4 hour print. Would i be better of slowing it down and makin it a 6 hour print? My time wise it will not make any difference.
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
DavidF
Printmaster!

Re: is slow better?

Post by DavidF »

Depends on the part and material. I have this one flea bay pla plastic that will jam the nozzle if printed too slow or too high a temp. It prints great at 170 and 60 mm/sec.
If I slow it down the hot end will clog, if I speed it up more then I don't have enough cool time between layers and wind up with poor prints on smaller parts. But I bet this filament will kick butt on large parts.
http://www.youtube.com/user/aonemarine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lost pla castings? see me
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

Thank you for that.

I set the print speed to % 80, and i definitely get less curling of the raft and base.
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

Generally to a point slow is better from a quality standpoint, though you get into diminishing returns quite quickly, and if you're going too slow the head will remelt the plastic of previous layers, and you can end up with the plastic getting pushed around.

There is another factor in the whole speed quality thing, for best quality, you want to run infill at the same speed as the perimeter. Changes to flow rate aren't instantaneous, and it can have a visible effect, though again it's generally minor.

One of the nice things about KissSlicer is that as you move the speed slider you can see the impact on print time, and since as you run faster travel moves and acceleration become dominant, there is usually a sweet spot that is somewhat slower, but doesn't dramatically impact print time.
caseythehost
Prints-a-lot

Post by caseythehost »

It really depends on the girl. Some like it slow, some like it faster. You should take this opportunity to build your communications skills in the relationship. She'll appreciate your concern for her needs.
Buy automatic knives, & self-defense products
http://ASDefense.com

Visit my website for my radio show
http://TheBurningTruth.us
0110-m-p
Printmaster!

Post by 0110-m-p »

caseythehost wrote:It really depends on the girl. Some like it slow, some like it faster. You should take this opportunity to build your communications skills in the relationship. She'll appreciate your concern for her needs.
Well played.

On topic though...I've never had a problem going slower, but have going faster. Question though...what speed are you at and what speed would you consider slowing down to?
Current Machines || Rostock Max (V1) | V3DR ||
Previous Machines || Flashforge Creator Pro ||
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

Right now I am experimenting with:

Infill 20mms
Inside perimeters 15mm
Outside perimeter 80%
Support Material 40mm/s
Bridges 90mm/s
Min Print Speed 5mm/s
Travel 150mm/s
First Layer Speed 40%
0110-m-p
Printmaster!

Post by 0110-m-p »

That's about as slow as I ever go doing small 100% infill parts with ABS.

I also don't really vary my speeds based on infill vs perimeters, etc...just first layer I do 15mm/s then ramp 5mm/s each layer up until I'm up to my set speed which is usually between 25 and 35 mm/s depending on the size and infill % of the part.
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

Currently printing fingers for robotic arm, one at a time. So i wanted to go slow.
0110-m-p
Printmaster!

Post by 0110-m-p »

teoman wrote:Currently printing fingers for robotic arm, one at a time. So i wanted to go slow.
Understandable. If I'm doing solid parts I make a point to try and print multiple parts at the same time so that I don't have to go slower than 15mm/s. Even if you just do a thin wall cube next to the solid part to let the layer cool a bit.

Return to “The Lounge”