BBP controller board kickstarter launch

General hangout discussion area for other non-printing stuff
Batteau62
Printmaster!

BBP controller board kickstarter launch

Post by Batteau62 »

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/11 ... ter-faster" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What does everyone think of this one?
-"Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool."
-"As soon as you make something fool proof...along comes an idiot."
-"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." ~Thomas Edison
JFettig
Printmaster!

Re: BBP controller board kickstarter launch

Post by JFettig »

It looks like someone took Replicape and smooshed it into a BBB. Almost like they took it all directly - including the software.
DanHall
Printmaster!

Post by DanHall »

"One big problem of 3d printer is the speed, people need to wait for hours to print a simple model. That is because the current control board, like RAMPS, Smoothie, are all powered by Atmel processors, whose frequency are too low to let the motor run fast.While the BBP runs on a powerful 32-bit ARM (1GHZ Cortext-A8), and with the help of Programmable Realtime Units inside this chip, it can generate high frequency step signal, which makes your 3d printer at least 4 times faster than before."

This is one of the first selling points. I find it interesting but speed is limited more by good adhesion, the design of the hot end moving parts, backlash, etc than electronics. I wonder how many hot ends and power supplies will keep up with a 4x print speed. Just look through the troubleshooting forum and see how many times the good folks here recommend slowing the print speed down to solve both bed and layer adhesion problems.

I dig the versatility in communication and screen options though.

I think they may be a bit ahead of the rest of the printer in terms of capability. Of course this all assumes that the statements in their article pan out in production. I wish them well and hope it works but I'll hold off for a while.
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

Running your printer at 4x speed!

That is some serious marketing bullshit.
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
DanHall
Printmaster!

Post by DanHall »

Come on bro! It's genious, just imagine how fast you create a pile of poorly printed spaghetti! All while watching your steppers catch on fire. It'll be like fireworks every day. Okay, maybe just once...
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Nylocke »

Apparently according to them RAMPS doesn't have a processor. I get that its a shield, but no one puts a RAMPS on their printer without the MEGA..

Thermalcouple?

They are kinda inconsistent with their firmware vs operating system definition? The firmware on the other boards is equivalent to the "OS" on the Beagle. Hell, how I understand it, MachineKit is more of a "firmware" of sorts.
626Pilot
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by 626Pilot »

DanHall wrote:Come on bro! It's genious, just imagine how fast you create a pile of poorly printed spaghetti! All while watching your steppers catch on fire. It'll be like fireworks every day. Okay, maybe just once...
I think even Atmel-based boards can do something like 250mm/sec. If this is 4x faster, you can run your printer at a full meter per second!!! And choke your hot end to death!!! And shake the bolts out of your printer!!! And then it catches fire or whatever.
them wrote:That is because the current control board, like RAMPS, Smoothie, are all powered by Atmel processors
Smoothie runs on Atmels? :lol:

I will say that I like their choice of processor. Having to shoehorn all kinds of menu GUI and auto-calibration code into a firmware that has 32K of "regular" RAM is a pain.
Last edited by 626Pilot on Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Nylocke »

626Pilot wrote:
DanHall wrote:Come on bro! It's genious, just imagine how fast you create a pile of poorly printed spaghetti! All while watching your steppers catch on fire. It'll be like fireworks every day. Okay, maybe just once...
I think even Atmel-based boards can do something like 250mm/sec. If this is 4x faster, you can run your printer at a full meter per second!!! And choke your hot end to death!!! And shake the bolts out of your printer!!! And then it catches fire or whatever.
Put it on your DeltaPrintr. You were worried about the friction fit hotend mount before, how about now? :P
626Pilot
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by 626Pilot »

Nylocke wrote:Put it on your DeltaPrintr. You were worried about the friction fit hotend mount before, how about now? :P
LOL. That would turn it from a passive fire hazard into a ballistic fire hazard.
626Pilot
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by 626Pilot »

Heidi

Community Manager , She is not very familiar with technology, but in this case it’s a big advantage. Her experience and combative personality complement our team's qualifications.
Their community manager has a combative personality :lol:
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

I backed it. It can't hurt to add one more controller to the pile, right?

The alligator board looked interesting, but just seemed a bit odd (expensive too). From what I've read (I think on this forum) they're doing a good job of making people mad on some of the other forums, so I'm not very interested in that one.

We'll see how it goes.
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

Interesting comments on the kickstarter page starting to roll in from Arthur Wolf...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/11 ... r/comments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

KAS, I think the technical term for it is "Calling them on their sh*t". :)

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
626Pilot
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by 626Pilot »

the Kickstarter page wrote: “ A great board’s creator gave us $1, open the door to comment, and keep attacking us.”
We are just too young to deal with this kind of things.
To me, this suggests a mind that shuns cause-and-effect thinking, and will display the "poor me" response when things don't go its way. This is not a fully self-directed mind. It will always expect other minds to carry it and fulfill its needs. I wouldn't expect it to be very good at self-correction, and I wouldn't want to rely on it for anything (like tech support, taking responsibility if there is a design flaw, etc.)
Paul Fontanez wrote:“I'm sure in many cases you are right. However, if the board has greater speed then it can microstep at finer resolutions at the same linear velocity than other boards creating better accuracy, control and smoothness or the process and quieter printing. This is one of the main advantages of using the PRUs.”
This is like saying you need a gun to kill an ant. My Smoothieboard runs ~1/10th as fast, has no PRUs, and it can still send step signals fast enough to stall out the motors, which will sit there making a high-pitched whine. More speed beyond the point where it can possibly help, is quite useless. Using that speed as a marketing hook is not something I would do.
Paul Fontanez wrote: For most of 3d printers, 200mm/s maybe the fastest speed because of the mechanical problem, but it is possible to build a 3d printer running at 300mm/s or 400mm/s.
If our final goal can be reached, we will try to create another open hardware 3d printer, aim to print at max speed of 400mm/s.
They don't have a printer that prints at 400mm/sec, so they can't know whether their board will run a printer that fast. Corollary: they haven't tried other controllers on a printer that fast. They are imagining their ideal reality and assuming it's so, like a hungry baby that sucks its thumb so it can feel like it's eating.

BTW, what is plastic going to look like, extruded that fast? Wouldn't it come out hyper terrible?
redoverred
Printmaster!

Post by redoverred »

>400mm/s

I just have to say that while I watch my printer head move at 175mm/s for travel moves I cannot possibly imagine a printer extruding plastic properly at 400mm/s so that it actually sticks to anything and looks good. I would guess that extrusion machines are limited, physically, to a certain speed and that speed is probably at or below 150mm/s. I can definitely get decent prints at 100mm/s, but even those start to delaminate on layers if I don't pump up the hotend temperature to about +10/+15 deg C to account for the extrusion rate (because even if the thermistor reads normal ABS printing temp, the plastic will come out much cooler).
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

They are going about this all wrong. Had they taken a different approach saying that maker community is very good replicape and bbb are excellent products but there is a need for something a bit more compact and single board and that is what they setout to do, with a much better price point due to mass manufacturing they would have a winner.
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
jesse
Printmaster!

Post by jesse »

I reported them to Kickstarter for making misrepresenting claims.
precisionpete
Printmaster!

Post by precisionpete »

Not even looking at the page but to make claims is one thing.
Build a printer around your new board and SHOW what it can do.
I have moved my delta in NON print moves at ~ 300mm/s and there is no way it would print at that speed.
Not saying it couldn't be done but just replacing a board isn't going to be the entire fix.
redoverred
Printmaster!

Post by redoverred »

I guess an Arduio Mega 2560 compatible board is perfectly fine for fast print rates :)

I guess I was wrong above about 150mm/s print speed being the max for decent FDM printing.

Return to “The Lounge”