Tiko 3D

General hangout discussion area for other non-printing stuff
dpmacri
Printmaster!

Tiko 3D

Post by dpmacri »

Anyone seen this (or backed it)? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/10 ... nav_search

The "Early Bird" versions ($139 + shipping) are going quickly but I haven't decided if I want to experiment with another crowd-funded project or not :-P
I think I'm going to wait until this one gets through production. Assuming it's all they claim it is, I'll buy one then :-D
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Tiko 3D

Post by Polygonhell »

I'd be very dubious of anyone trying to sell a printer for under $200, I will pretty much guarantee they'll get way more orders than they can possibly cope with, at that price there is no margin, and they will likely go out of business before all the preorders are fulfilled.
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

Cute, but I'm currently being marinated by Micro 3d. Unlike the Pebble watch preorder, who were going to charege me when the watch shipped, Micro 3d was quick to extract my funds for my preorder.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

I backed the Tiko. The first early bird pre-orders were for $99, and that just seemed too good to pass on. If nothing else, I'll keep it in the trunk of my car for when inspiration strikes away from home. Heck, I can probably even fit it in my backpack and haul it around on the motorcycle.

I like the concept, it's definitely a new spin on several aspects of the delta machine. The unibody linear rails, the convection fan-less PLA heatsink, motors moving on the carriages, etc. The portability is what really sells me on it though. Other things like WiFi connectivity and a web interface make it interesting too.

They intend to ship in the fall, so I'll let you know what I think when I get it in the spring :)
mvansomeren
Printmaster!

Post by mvansomeren »

It doesn't appear to have a heated bed so they are relying on a special coating and an enclosure to ensure that ABS will stick and not warp. I agree that I can't see how the business could survive at $179. Time will tell.
Glacian22
Printmaster!

Post by Glacian22 »

I think it's unlikely that the retail version will be only $179+shipping, but at least unlike some of the other super low cost printer kickstarters they have some actual info on how they've cut costs. The unibody plastic shell seems pretty clever, along with tiny light weight motors riding on the carriages. And they mentioned that the hotend can be that small by using a titanium allow that acts as a really good thermal insulator...maybe the same alloy Generic Default's using in the polystrooder?

It they actually have cut power consumption significantly, and are forgoing a heated bed, I could see them also saving some money on electronics, since they don't have to pass as much current. I am pretty skeptical of being able to reliably print with anything other than low warp materials like PLA or PETG, but who knows?
Glacian22
Printmaster!

Post by Glacian22 »

Here's a question though...delta 3D printers are all derived from Johann's work on the Rostock, which then became the Kossel, all of which is open source. If he put it all under CC sharealike licensing, then is Tiko allowed to keep their stuff closed source? Or is the concept of using a parallel arm delta robot platform for 3D printing too generic to be considered strictly derivative from Johann's project?
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

Glacian22 wrote:Here's a question though...delta 3D printers are all derived from Johann's work on the Rostock, which then became the Kossel, all of which is open source. If he put it all under CC sharealike licensing, then is Tiko allowed to keep their stuff closed source? Or is the concept of using a parallel arm delta robot platform for 3D printing too generic to be considered strictly derivative from Johann's project?
Without getting into the legal side of software license agreements being applied to hardware, it's unlikely that even if Johan built the first delta printer (which he didn't) my guess (and I'm not a lawyer) is he'd have no hope of controlling the licensing of derived or independently created designs.
He'd have a better shot at that if the designs were largely identical to his with minor modifications.

Historical point of reference the Rostock was based on the Helium Frog printer, and I know of at least examples of the mechanism in the rep-rap forums predating that significantly. Johann did put in a lot of hard work adding support to existing firmware and refining the design, and the Rostock certainly made the design popular, but he didn't create the design.
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

All delta robots are derivatives of pick and place machines from the 70's, so Johann himself wouldn't have been able to patent that part of it. The unibody design may be new art, the passively cooled hot-end, etc. Individual components of an assembly can be treated independently in the IP world. You could patent a new kind of fastener without having any rights to the machine it goes on.
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

I just missed the $139 backer and decided to wait. I rather put it towards the Max metal.

Jason W. about 3 hours ago; BTW, so Tiko won't take gcode from other slicing software?
@Jason - No, Tiko won't accept outside g-code. Tiko is a top to bottom seamless solution, adding this function would only jeopardize that.

That's the only comment that stood out of the rest. It's okay I suppose and they are upfront about it.
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

That is a bit worrying.

They seem to be quite a small team. That suddenly started to sound unrealistic, if they were doing the mechanics only with repetier or other such software to control it, then ok, or if they had a massive team where some could work on software and some on the mechanics...

I mean
Hardware
Electronics
Software
as they are proposing is each a different and very big project.

They have a lot listed under "optimization" which is a bit worrying as well.

But I like the design and simplicity a lot. I might just get one towards the end of the campaign. They seem simple enough to build easily. I mean they hardly have any screws to put in. And they might be able to pull it off.
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
precisionpete
Printmaster!

Post by precisionpete »

Funny when this was first posted and I looked at their kick-starter page I was thinking of same name snap printer. (Failed kick-starter I ordered before buying the orion)

I am always the optimist but I see fail written all over this. They hide too many things.
I agree with a big team they might pull this off but 2 guys and a girl. Not going to happen at least within their time frame.
Prototype testing should NEVER be included. I'll write them a check for $179 dated 2017.
TFMike
Printmaster!

Post by TFMike »

Man I'm on the fence about pulling the trigger on it, 179 is a steal IF it can do all that it says it can. If they got a tool cut for their main body that's already been paid for then that could help out with their mass assembly - hopefully.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

We all get what we pay for and we know what is involved in building even a low level, low cost printer.
I cannot believe that a $180 printer can be built and if it can it uses nema 14 motors, inferior electronics and no bearings.
It sort of reminds me of the low priced car that was on the market for a while, it was called the Yugo.
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Nylocke »

Its a 3D printer for the price of a RAMBo, if I could afford one I would probably buy one, at the very least I could try to tear it down it it completely sucks. Even still, I'm on the fence on spending the theoretical money I don't have.
bot
Printmaster!

Post by bot »

I'm curious as to why people feel owning a cheap printer like this would be good? Portability? I see no purpose for it, other than a little toy to play with if you can't afford a real printer...
*not actually a robot
johnoly99
Printmaster!

Post by johnoly99 »

The one and only thing I'll say is, they have already mentioned in comments that they have no warranty or support. That alone is a price many aren't considering.
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

I wanted it for portability. Plus I got in at $99, so it's almost worth it just to oogle somebody else's novel design.

I don't expect it to be stellar, but if it's easy to carry around, I've got use for it.
morphfiend
Plasticator

Post by morphfiend »

Here's an AMA they did yesterday on the 3dprinting subreddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/3Dprinting/com ... d_were_on/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

hmm, just curious how it will play out in the long run.
and these are the steppers they are using: 28BYJ-48

Tiko3Dhttp://www.tiko3d.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -4 points 16 hours ago
You're welcome! For the most part it's a pleasure to unravel some of the mystery. People are instinctively afraid of what they don't know / understand, so we're glad to clear the air.
*It's mostly a tolerance thing, that and materials. Both are different from our prototype. Our manufacturers are generally very proactive in ensuring our tolerances are correct, likewise with materials.
*Our manufacturers and assembly partners handle this. Our role is to vet them to make sure they're the real deal.
*The only real consumable is the nozzle, and we designed it to be very easy to replace. Naturally, we will offer replacements of these. Internals are another story, and will have to be factory serviced. We know how expensive that can be, so we're getting ahead and doing everything we can to make Tiko a long-lasting printer. Tiko is inexpensive, but it is not 'cheap'.
TFMike
Printmaster!

Post by TFMike »

Eaglezsoar wrote:We all get what we pay for and we know what is involved in building even a low level, low cost printer.
I cannot believe that a $180 printer can be built and if it can it uses nema 14 motors, inferior electronics and no bearings.
It sort of reminds me of the low priced car that was on the market for a while, it was called the Yugo.

I doubt that is what the price point stays at after the kickstarter has ended. I went ahead and got one, I'm a bit confused as to why they wouldn't allow it to be user serviceable though....
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

TFMike wrote:
Eaglezsoar wrote:We all get what we pay for and we know what is involved in building even a low level, low cost printer.

I doubt that is what the price point stays at after the kickstarter has ended. I went ahead and got one, I'm a bit confused as to why they wouldn't allow it to be user serviceable though....
Perhaps some of the parts are pop riveted to other parts instead of screws. It is just one of many possibilities. I am not going to purchase one because a 3d printer cannot be made for the prices
they have quoted and I do not like spending my money on inferior equipment. Cheers!
EL Cuajinais
Printmaster!

Post by EL Cuajinais »

TFMike wrote: I am not going to purchase one because a 3d printer cannot be made for the prices
they have quoted and I do not like spending my money on inferior equipment. Cheers!
To each their own I say, but here is MY train of thought:

$179 is guaranteed to get me an all metal hot end today.
$179 is guaranteed to get me a geared extruder motor today.
$179 is guaranteed to get me very good web cam today.
Even if I had these upgrades, (and I don't) $179 is guaranteed to get me $179 closer to getting an SLA printer or some other expensive tool I might want down the road.

And then...

$179 may or may not get me an actually produced printer down the road; which if produced, may or may not work as advertised. However these $179 will guarantee I will spend time down the road stressing over blown ship dates, overall product quality, and reading product updates/excuses. In my case this is time that would be better spent learning about 3D printing or other maker topics.
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

https://vimeo.com/124113151

Judging from the way the head moves to the print surface, they have a ways to go when it comes to accuracy.
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

Sure do, wow. That's pretty bad.

Return to “The Lounge”