Finally started farting around with Blender

General hangout discussion area for other non-printing stuff
radicaldev
Printmaster!

Finally started farting around with Blender

Post by radicaldev »

So my first son decided to join the world last Wednesday. While my wife and I were waiting around for him, I started thinking about one of the main things I wanted a 3D printer for -- TOYS!

Since I've forgotten a lot of the junk I used to know about how to build flying things, and I'm not super excited about RC cars anymore because I've already built one from scratch, and I have a pool... I picked boats (really, submarines, but that's going to be a challenge, so.. boats!).

I decided to do the model in Blender because of how awesome it is, and how bad I felt about knowing nothing about how to use it.

Last night I printed the biggest thing I've ever printed before, and except for a thoroughly botched bridge at around layer 916, it came out awesome! Total length was 195.2mm, with 5mm walls. I'm very impressed with the results. It's tough, is incredibly buoyant, and seems to be the perfect size for some motors, batteries, an arduino OR beaglebone, and maybe a webcam.

[img]http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o637/radicaldev/20150610_031114.jpg[/img]

Return to “The Lounge”