Ebay vs Thingiverse

General hangout discussion area for other non-printing stuff
bot
Printmaster!

Re: Ebay vs Thingiverse

Post by bot »

So all the one's with no non-commercial clause are totally fair game, indisputably. I guess the people who mark their designs NC may have a case... but good luck with that.
*not actually a robot
DavidF
Printmaster!

Post by DavidF »

It will be interesting to see what comes of all this. My biggest fear if that people will not continue to share their works with us freely any more.
But somehow i suspect there is a letter in the mail waiting on delivery.
http://www.youtube.com/user/aonemarine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lost pla castings? see me
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

Not indisputably bot, depending on the stance you take on how far the license extends, it can be very questionable. But for the sake of arguments here, I shall avoid touching the parts which I am not fairly certain of. From IMBoring's experience, it appears that the license on the STL matters a lot more than you asserted, and than I conceded for the point of it here. But really, few (perhaps none) of us are lawyers, and nothing we think is going to affect how the lawyers or judges rule. I feel that schemes like this, even if they do not fail legally, will fail in the court of public opinion, and will not survive long term, especially as they poison their own well by pissing off the artists creating the works so much.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
techstorage
Printmaster!

Post by techstorage »

I noticed that the link above to Michael Weinberg's blog is the same guy that has a paper written on this subject. It was part of a petitioned to the supreme court recently for a ruling for copy rights and includes 3D printed rights.

After reflecting on this I know I have used numerous parts found online that I used to modify my printer. Staying in the CC compliance; I should be keeping a journal on where the source files came from so if I share the picture of my installed mod or the new .stl files that I modified, I need to refer the source of my changes. :roll:
DavidF
Printmaster!

Post by DavidF »

How about getting the filament and printer suppliers to boycott him and not sell him materials, parts, printers. May be difficult to starve him to death, but im sure he can be weakened enough to take the fight out of him.
http://www.youtube.com/user/aonemarine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lost pla castings? see me
jmpreuss
Printmaster!

Post by jmpreuss »

So one of my models made the site.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3D-Printed-Geom ... Sw4UtWTlkV" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think I should undercut them by selling for only $40 :)

I didn't put any restriction on this model but attribution would be courteous.
PTMNBN="Printer that must not be named" - a heavily upgraded Replicator 2
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

supposedly, if you message them, they'll put an attribution on it. I would undercut them (or file a complaint with Ebay about it, if you're really sore) if you want to mess with them.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
Neptune
Printmaster!

Post by Neptune »

KAS wrote:Meh, small potatoes. No different than pulling models off Thingiverse and sending it to community printing services like 3DHubs.

Unfortunately Ryan Simms hasn't put a lot of thought or effort by restricting his personnel information. A quick whois and a few name searching in newtown provides a wealth of personal identifying information. Including a cell phone that undoubtedly will be called and texted nonstop by the angry Thingiverse mob.
+1
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

Thingiverse responds.
http://www.makerbot.com/blog/2016/02/24 ... hingiverse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Great, perhaps now things will change so that money is not being made from others work.
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”

Return to “The Lounge”