Need a printer like the WASP 4070

Post a pic of your CNC machines!
Elysio
Printmaster!

Need a printer like the WASP 4070

Post by Elysio »

Hi.

I own a Max2 and I`m very satisfied, the printing quality works for me, and it was affordable.
The printspace/volume is fine and in many cases enough.
But here is my problem I want and I have to print bigger, much bigger.
Making research brought me to this printer . Delta WASP 4070

http://www.personalfab.it/en/products/d ... p-40x60-2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I dont want to upset the guys from SeeMeCNCm but I wonder why they are not developing such a printer with that dimensions on the base of the Max2.
I think there is a market for such printers.
The price incl tax is nearly to 6700Euro thats ca. 7400Dollar, I guess SeeMeCNC can do it better and a bit more affordable.

There are some interesting features , flying filament support, Resurection function which is very useful if your print has to stop and you want to start later on the same position, etc.....

Anyway, if SeeMeCNC would offer such a printer I would be the first client to buy it.

Best regards, Christoph.
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Need a printer like the WASP 4070

Post by Xenocrates »

So, some things. SeemeCNC has a Max V3 in the works. It likely will not get up to 400MM diameter. There's a reason for that. The Onyx, which was the first circular PCB heater, is only 310MM in diameter. But build height is really, really easy to increase. Just change belts and extrusions, and the mechanics are suddenly capable of it. Of course, the harness for the hotend needs to get longer, as do the wires through the towers (or run them up a separate mast). But we don't know a whole lot about the V3 right now. But if Z height is your major concern, then it's easy to make yourself. If you just want to print BIG, SeemeCNC has the Partdaddy open-sourced. There's very little bigger than that that you could make. But there are some problems I have with the WASP designs.

First, the hotend uses an RJ45 connector. That is NOT rated for that sort of amperage. It is rated for 1.5 amps. That's enough to run a 24V heater cartridge, if you could find a 30W 24V cartridge, as most are 40-50. They say they have 80W on it. that means they are using two 40W cartridges. There are only 4 pairs in that connector, and in order to have proper connections for that, they need to use 2 pairs for each. Which means that they are under-rated to support the hotend. Not a good thing.

Second, that flying extruder, while nice from the perspective of attempting to shorten the bowden, will be more problems than not when you try printing large objects with anything but PLA, as you'll want a heated chamber. Heating the extruder is a quick way to print failure, and I don't see them having added any way to cool the extruder motor.

Thirdly, They seem to have missed several other ease of use features, like a visible spool holder, an LCD where it's convenient, and have a massive bottom cavity. (The LCD, if they have the 700MM vertical height, and their picture is to scale, seems to be about 6 feet up.) not to mention actually heating the chamber and controlling it (As they don't talk at all about the control board they are using, nor is the resurrection feature in any firmware I know of, they probably have a bespoke unit, which usually means less adaptable. ) (they may have a heater, but the english is rather broken, so it's hard to tell, and unlike other things, they don't list a wattage.)

A printer of that size, done well, will not be cheap. It takes some rather expensive components to do really well, and in order to have something worth shipping at that price point, it needs to cost less than the price point by a fair margin. Especially with the low amount of people who need parts that large and have the money to buy a printer like that. Development costs for the design, and the overhead of adding all the parts/molds/new shipping boxes would mean that it would be hard to justify if the costs are higher than 5000~ per unit in materials. And that's not even looking at it as a business that's supposed to be profitable. That's a "Can I afford to do this at all" view.

Would it be awesome to have one? Oh yeah. But how many people would buy it? Few of us push the print area already. Many of us choose to make smaller parts that won't fail halfway through and then bond them, to reduce printing risks. For people seriously into printing who need machines of that size, I would think it's more practical to build than to buy, since the volume is so low that the overhead over parts is high.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
Elysio
Printmaster!

Post by Elysio »

Hi

Hmm I really didnt want to upset you too, but this request is not meant to talk about the missconstructions of the WASP . But its Okay, better to know why I should not buy this machine.

As you have mentioned above many things making it difficult to creat such a printer, allright I understand.
Max3 will come, thats fine, I hope that the printsize in diameter is up to 350mm this would help me alot.
The Z height is not that important,
Why do I need in XY a larger diameter?
The point is that in XY I can get a better structural strenght. Parts that are printed in Z are less rigid.

I really hope the next Max3 will have that larger diameter.

Best regards, Christoph.
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

I guess I still suck at getting my tone across. I started out typing something about how what you wanted wasn't really something like it, just a bigger machine, and then I decided that sucked and deleted parts of it, other than some that was mostly about why (in case you, or someone else considered it) not to buy it. And then I went and typed something about how expensive it would be to make, and most of that went in the bit bucket as well (Including a part relevant to your desire for a bigger diameter, being that unless they want to make the V3 have a bed that is incompatible with the V2 and orion, it will keep the same diameter, but might be more printable, because the PCB heater is sized as it is, and it's a real pain to get really large PCB's) Silicone heaters are largely unavailable off the shelf in that size, too.

I'm not too upset, just trying to make sure you realize that it's unlikely, and some of why, without you going and buying something that looks so dubious to me.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
Elysio
Printmaster!

Post by Elysio »

Hi

Oh the same for me, it is indeed difficult for me to find the right tone, me as a none native spaeker its quite complicated to pronounce and to set the words in a right order.
Sometimes things appaering rude, but they were not meant to be rude.

Anyway I understand your message, this Delta WASP will have some drawbacks.
I just took this printer as an example, which dimension I need.

But to come back to my request or more a question than a request, I still think that the market is ready for a bigger none industrial/professional consumer printer with this dimensions.
Open Source development of bigger printer is fine, but I dont have the time and the knowledge to create such a printer.

I can assemble a printer like the Max2, with a good "how to do" manual, but creating a printer by my own ................ No :roll:

Maybe you know some other manufacturer for bigger Delta printer ?
Elysio
Printmaster!

Post by Elysio »

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjaTOg ... cgrslvFlpw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

An interesting machine.
Costs ca. 10000$

It looks like you can do alot of things with it.

http://www.tytan3d.com/pl/glowna/20-gai ... -maxx.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

We are a group of hobbyists or light duty machinists who use the parts for resale.
We are not a forum of people who have the funds or the interests to purchase machines that start in the $10,000 market.
We drive average cars and you are looking for a Lamborghini. Your goal is fine, for you. You will not find many followers
on this forum however..
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”

Return to “Show us your machine!”