PLAY IN ORION EFFECTOR AND CHEAPSKATE BEARINGS

A pre-assembled Delta Printer that can print a 6" cube 8" tall!
Tinker12
Printmaster!

PLAY IN ORION EFFECTOR AND CHEAPSKATE BEARINGS

Post by Tinker12 »

Hi,
I just purchased a new orion and have had for about two weeks. I really like this machine design and how it works.
I have changed to a E3d hotend also. But I have noticed what seems to me an unusual amount of play in the end effector which
seems to originate with the loosenes of the cheapskate unit on the aluminum towers. I have made a short youtube video
showing this http://youtu.be/3D75AobBdio
I have had some problem with infill joining perimeter on prints both before and after changing to E3d hotend although I have lubricated the
U-joint some which seemed to help.
Can anyone tell me should I be concerned about the amount of play in the system, does and can I adjust it out.
thanks
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: PLAY IN ORION EFFECTOR AND CHEAPSKATE BEARINGS

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Tinker12 wrote:Hi,
I just purchased a new orion and have had for about two weeks. I really like this machine design and how it works.
I have changed to a E3d hotend also. But I have noticed what seems to me an unusual amount of play in the end effector which
seems to originate with the loosenes of the cheapskate unit on the aluminum towers. I have made a short youtube video
showing this http://youtu.be/3D75AobBdio
I have had some problem with infill joining perimeter on prints both before and after changing to E3d hotend although I have lubricated the
U-joint some which seemed to help.
Can anyone tell me should I be concerned about the amount of play in the system, does and can I adjust it out.
thanks
You need to tighten the bearings just a touch so that movement is gone. The bearings on one side of the cheapskates are on cams that
allow you to tighten them. Tighten only until the play is gone and no more than that then tighten the screw back up. Did I mention you need
to loosen the screw before adjusting. The ones with the cams have a flat on them for using a wrench to GENTLY tighten them.
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
Tinker12
Printmaster!

Post by Tinker12 »

Thanks for the instructions. I tightened up the cheapskates as you said and also found intructions for Rostock Max v2 assembly cheapskate adjustment.
I ran a test print and I think it made a difference, although i still get areas on the first layer where the infill does not join the perimeter.
see photos athttps://www.flickr.com/photos/123952550@N03/ the first photo in the series is the most recent print the others look worse and are prior to
tightening the cheapskates. Any suggestions?
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Tinker12 wrote:Thanks for the instructions. I tightened up the cheapskates as you said and also found intructions for Rostock Max v2 assembly cheapskate adjustment.
I ran a test print and I think it made a difference, although i still get areas on the first layer where the infill does not join the perimeter.
see photos athttps://www.flickr.com/photos/123952550@N03/ the first photo in the series is the most recent print the others look worse and are prior to
tightening the cheapskates. Any suggestions?
In a lot of cases the infill not reaching the perimeter is caused by friction somewhere. Did you check all the ujoints including the ones on the effector?

Put this into your browser site: seemecnc.com infill perimeter
It will find all the infill and perimeter threads on the forum perhaps one of them could help you. With an Orion only 2 weeks old I would also contact support via email
about these problems.
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
bdjohns1
Printmaster!

Post by bdjohns1 »

This actually can be a slicing issue too. I was seeing some infill gaps on slic3r that went away going to KISSlicer with similar settings.
Tinker12
Printmaster!

Post by Tinker12 »

Just wanted to update my progress. After tightening the cheapskates and lubricating u-joints I test printed my parts
but this time I used CURA software with the infill/perimeter overlap % at 50%. Result no more gaps. I could probably dial back
the overlap but just wanted to be sure. Just wanted to thank everyone also seemcnc tech support was prompt and helpful to responding to my emails.

Return to “ORION”