U joint issue

A pre-assembled Delta Printer that can print a 6" cube 8" tall!
Vic
Printmaster!

U joint issue

Post by Vic »

The small metal shaft that holds the u joint assembly together at the printer head creeps out to one side. It happens to 2 out of the 3. Is there a way to keep this from happening? Thanks
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: U joint issue

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Vic wrote:The small metal shaft that holds the u joint assembly together at the printer head creeps out to one side. It happens to 2 out of the 3. Is there a way to keep this from happening? Thanks
The base that holds everything together at the bottom is called an effector. The effector is held together with screws on each side of it. After pushing the metal shaft back where belongs, ensure
that all the little screws that hold the effector together, both top and bottom, and all snugged down. This is what keeps the shaft from moving.
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
Vic
Printmaster!

Post by Vic »

Thanks for your reply.
The way you described the effector is how it is assembled where the arms joint the bearing at the towers. The U joint effector at the printer head doesn't use screws. There is a clip that attaches at the ends of the small rods.
Thanks
ccavanaugh
Printmaster!

Post by ccavanaugh »

Verify the u joint is not galled up. A creeping shaft could be an indicator the joint needs cleaned up and lubricated.
Vic
Printmaster!

Post by Vic »

Where does it need to be lubed and what kind of lube should I use?
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Eaglezsoar wrote:
Vic wrote:The small metal shaft that holds the u joint assembly together at the printer head creeps out to one side. It happens to 2 out of the 3. Is there a way to keep this from happening? Thanks
The base that holds everything together at the bottom is called an effector. The effector is held together with screws on each side of it. After pushing the metal shaft back where belongs, ensure
that all the little screws that hold the effector together, both top and bottom, and all snugged down. This is what keeps the shaft from moving.
You must have the V2 Max, is that correct?
Vic
Printmaster!

Post by Vic »

I have an Orion.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Vic wrote:I have an Orion.
I have an Orion also, but mine has the effector with all the little screws holding it together. You must have a later version (newer) than mine.
Mine does not have the spring clips so I'm not sure what to tell you about holding the small shafts in place. Perhaps you should email support
and ask them what is going on your axles coming out. Best of luck to you!
Vic
Printmaster!

Post by Vic »

You are correct. The effector is the same as the Rostock as currently pictured on the website. I just got the orion about a month ago. I emailed support. I will post the response. Thanks
lkaiser
Noob

Post by lkaiser »

I also have an Orion about two months old and all 3 of my shafts creep out one side or the other. Also, I just realized that they all move to the right. I'm not sure if that is significant or not.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

lkaiser wrote:I also have an Orion about two months old and all 3 of my shafts creep out one side or the other. Also, I just realized that they all move to the right. I'm not sure if that is significant or not.
Vic said that he will post the results he gets from support so maybe we can get an answer to why the shafts move out the way they do.
Tinyhead
Printmaster!

Post by Tinyhead »

Vic wrote:Where does it need to be lubed and what kind of lube should I use?
You should definitely lube the u-joints. I think some people use a touch of white lithium greats. I'm not sure if they made any design/material changes, but on some people's joints (myself included) if you didn't lube them, they will seize fairly easily.
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

you have a v2 platform. It is one piece, not 2 halves like original.

I think you could drive some short #4 self taping screws in at an angle between the little tabs that grab axle and the axle itself to prevent axle from walking out...
I have not tried this, but it is how we fasten our CF arms to the v2 platform.
Look at this picture to understand what I am talking about.
http://www.tricklaser.com/Carbon-Fiber- ... M-CFTX.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

let us know if this works, I have heard others are having same problem with new v2 platform.

the screws are 1/4" long
we use these
http://www.mcmaster.com/#93406a106/=rihwng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
MAX METAL Rostock MAX Printer Frame
NEMESIS Air Delta v1 & v2 -Aluminum delta printers
Rostock MAX "KITT" - Tri-Force Frame
GRABER i3 "Slim"
Vic
Printmaster!

Post by Vic »

I heard back this am from support. Here is the email exchange which includes a couple options. I do appreciate the quick response from them.

"Sometimes that happens if there's a lot of friction in one of the joints?  Not usually an issue, but you can add a drop of superglue to ONLY one end of the axles, where the clip attaches, the help hold it from sliding thru the platform"

Thanks for the response. Should I try to lubricate the u joint? If so what kind of lubrication should I use and where does it go? Thanks

"You shouldn't need to lubricate the shaft, as they are nitride coated, but if you want to use a lubricant, make sure it's a dry lubricant, like ptfe powder etc..."

I think I'm going to get some pfte lubricant. I am also thinking about making a clip to go over the existing clip that would also cover the ends of the rod.to keep it from migrating. I'm open to other suggestions.
lkaiser
Noob

Post by lkaiser »

Thank you, Vic for that report. Are you considering a replacement clip or an additional one applied over the existing one?
Vic
Printmaster!

Post by Vic »

An additional clip. I'll upload image and stl when I've nailed it down.
I picked this stuff up at Lowes.

BTW I made a shield out of plexiglas for the left side to help block breezes. I made a couple of clips the are hot glued to the top. The original design of the clip had a loop on top to pass a rubber band with another clip to gonintobthe hole in the top of the orion. I had to abort the print since I was late to go out with my wife (have to keep her happy so I can play) so now I have 2 small clips and I use some blue tape to keep it secured. The clips slide on to the top of the orion.
Attachments
IMG_20140414_163440_020.jpg
IMG_20140414_162456_797.jpg
Vic
Printmaster!

Post by Vic »

I just want to report an update.
I've used that ptfe film on my u joints. I only use a tiny amount. I have not had any movement of the shaft at all. Seems to work well.
dgriff
Printmaster!

Post by dgriff »

I also removed the the u-joints and added some white lithium grease to the metal bearings where they connect to the arms, and also on the edges (they appeared to be rubbing on the sides of the effector platform). I did not add any lubrication in the middle of the bearing where the pins are positioned.

So far, so good. Since adding a bit of lubrication, the metal pins haven't moved a bit!

Return to “ORION”