Trick Laser MAX METAL Build

Such as Laser cutters (Must use the phrase 'sharks with frickin lazors' once per thread)
626Pilot
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Trick Laser MAX METAL Build

Post by 626Pilot »

bvandiepenbos wrote:I send (6) M3 x 20 screws with the frame for mounting motors.

I hate to say it, but you really should not put the t-nuts in with flange around thread facing out. They are designed to face in. If you put them in backwards they will not clamp in slot properly.

If you need to add t-nuts after assembly, they make some that will "roll in" from the side.
https://youtu.be/nK-DsJxAdwM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You should use the bolts, spacers, eccentrics, and precision washers from openbuilds.
The screws are M5 x 30
I have a link on Trick Trucks product page listing what hardware to buy along with the v-wheels.
http://www.tricklaser.com/Trick-Trucks- ... TRUCKS.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tricks Trucks will NOT work with the stock SeeMeCNC wheels, bearings or spacers. (as it says on product page)
Alright, I'm going to buy a bunch of stuff from OpenBuilds then. It would be nice if you could just include this stuff in the Trick Trucks kit so we don't have to buy from two suppliers.

I'm also getting a bunch of these, which are cheaper from OB than on the eBay link above, and can be rolled into place after assembly: http://openbuildspartstore.com/spring-loaded-tee-nuts/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - too bad they don't have a double version.

EDIT: Don't buy those T-slot nuts. They are the wrong size.

I guess I have to tear my frame down to flip around all the double t-nuts. I had them aligned like this because it's a complete pain to bolt everything together otherwise. I originally thought I would build this thing in under a week - I suppose that anyone wanting to build a printer from a partial kit for the first time should expect delays, as there's always one more thing to order, and wait to ship. I plan to build more of these in the future, to get a proper fleet for production, so this is the shakedown build.

I've been thinking about how to get the wiring to the hot end. I suppose I could have it dangle from the top, but I don't like that. Occasionally, the wire will interfere with the operation of the limit switches, causing awful noises and belt-grinding. I've been thinking about using 12-18" of T-slot from the old MAX to build a mast that would fasten to one of the lower extrusions, and then have the robotics cable run up the side of that (no way it'll fit inside) before arcing up and then back down to the hot end. I think this configuration is called a "whip". That's what the guy who installed my A/C calls the cable that goes from the fuse box to the compressor, in the same fashion.
Last edited by 626Pilot on Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

I plan on using a flying struder, and run a teflon tube from the hotend, to the spool holder. Like the V2, I'll bundle the wires with the teflon tube.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
DavidF
Printmaster!

Post by DavidF »

bvandiepenbos wrote:MAX METAL Effector Platform, J-Groove Mount and Carriage Arm Mounts, final version up on web site...
http://www.tricklaser.com/MAX-METAL-Pla ... L-PLAT.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Trick Laser Aluminum Rostock MAX platform-02s.jpg

Brian....Top notch!! Lovin it! Cant beat the price either. :mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/user/aonemarine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lost pla castings? see me
626Pilot
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by 626Pilot »

forrie wrote:626Pilot - What part number is on the motors you got from Amazon. 42BYGHM809 or JK42HM48-1684 because when you look at the pics then read the comments and the description on that Amazon page it gets real confusing!
Sorry I missed this before. JK42HM48-1684 - see this.
forrie
Printmaster!

Post by forrie »

626Pilot wrote:Sorry I missed this before. JK42HM48-1684 - see this.
Cool thanks..that's what I figured. Will be interesting to see how those 0.9's perform....There are many mixed opinions out there on whether they make much difference from 1.8's.
I'm not an alcoholic...I'm Australian!
626Pilot
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by 626Pilot »

One of the holes in the Trucks is wider than the others - this appears to be for the eccentric cams. I got confused by that.

I have a suggestion for improving the next revision of these frames. It would be nice if the dowel pins used for alignment were fatter. It may be necessary to use a hammer or other blunt object to tap the crossmembers into place because of how tight the tolerances are, but the pins are so skinny that they bend really easily. I think it would be better to just use fatter pins, and then it wouldn't matter as much. You don't notice this phenomenon as much when you've assembled and disassembled the frame a few times, presumably because the metal gets compressed a little, but that first assembly is tough without some kind of blunt object.
626Pilot
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by 626Pilot »

The T-slot nuts I linked before from the OpenBuilds store won't work with our frames. They're too small, probably designed for flimsy 20mm t-slot, and the threading is M5 - we need 1/4-20.

I just ordered these. They are marginally cheaper than the ebay ones, and I think they're the right size (half an inch wide, and I measured our T-slot at 0.6" wide on the inside profile). Amazon is giving me next-day shipping for "free," so I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Measure twice, cut once? I have a corollary: Measure twice, wait a week for it to SHIP once.

Also, regarding the printable spacers on this post: The Trick Trucks have three screw holes in the middle of the top part. Two are threaded for an M3 screw, but the center one isn't. I would recommend that the center hole be tapped for M3 screws (by Trick Laser). That is what I will be doing with mine. OR, the printable spacers could be modified to have screw holes that match the threaded ones. (I don't know the utility behind the decision to leave the center hole un-tapped, so maybe there's reason to leave it alone - but I'm tapping all of mine.) In the linked post, M2.5 (I think) screws are mentioned, or some kind of press-fit with a pin, but I want to standardize all my fasteners to have as few different threadings as possible, and I don't want to use press-fit anything on a part that has to move all the time. I want screw threads holding that in place.
ccavanaugh
Printmaster!

Post by ccavanaugh »

626Pilot wrote:The T-slot nuts I linked before from the OpenBuilds store won't work with our frames. They're too small, probably designed for flimsy 20mm t-slot, and the threading is M5 - we need 1/4-20.

I just ordered these. They are marginally cheaper than the ebay ones, and I think they're the right size (half an inch wide, and I measured our T-slot at 0.6" wide on the inside profile). Amazon is giving me next-day shipping for "free," so I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Measure twice, cut once? I have a corollary: Measure twice, wait a week for it to SHIP once.

Also, regarding the printable spacers on this post: The Trick Trucks have three screw holes in the middle of the top part. Two are threaded for an M3 screw, but the center one isn't. I would recommend that the center hole be tapped for M3 screws (by Trick Laser). That is what I will be doing with mine. OR, the printable spacers could be modified to have screw holes that match the threaded ones. (I don't know the utility behind the decision to leave the center hole un-tapped, so maybe there's reason to leave it alone - but I'm tapping all of mine.) In the linked post, M2.5 (I think) screws are mentioned, or some kind of press-fit with a pin, but I want to standardize all my fasteners to have as few different threadings as possible, and I don't want to use press-fit anything on a part that has to move all the time. I want screw threads holding that in place.
The Faztek t-slot nuts you linked to are good stuff. It's also an Indiana based company. I reached out to them a few months ago to sponsor the local high school robotics program and they were amazing in response and generosity.
626Pilot
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by 626Pilot »

ccavanaugh wrote:The Faztek t-slot nuts you linked to are good stuff. It's also an Indiana based company. I reached out to them a few months ago to sponsor the local high school robotics program and they were amazing in response and generosity.
Turns out that these are just ever so slightly too large. Can't insert them from the side, OR drop them in. They are also just barely too large to fit in the stock SeeMe T-slot.

CRAP.

Why are there so many different kinds of barely-different T-slot and tee nuts? This is so much time and money down the drain. I wish they would standardize this nonsense, and actually say what size of T-slot the product is intended for. They never seem to. I guess I'll just get the ones from E-bay, and HOPE they work.
Last edited by 626Pilot on Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

626Pilot wrote:
ccavanaugh wrote:The Faztek t-slot nuts you linked to are good stuff. It's also an Indiana based company. I reached out to them a few months ago to sponsor the local high school robotics program and they were amazing in response and generosity.
Turns out that these are just ever so slightly too large.

CRAP.

Why are there so many different kinds of barely-different T-slot and tee nuts? This is so much time and money down the drain. I wish they would standardize this nonsense. I guess I'll just get the ones from E-bay, and HOPE they work.
Sorry they don't fit. I am surprised the Faztek don't work.
If you order the 80/20 brand (10 series) from ebay they will work.
http://stores.ebay.com/8020-Inc-Garage- ... 34.c0.m322" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MAX METAL Frame is made from 80/20 brand extrusions
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
MAX METAL Rostock MAX Printer Frame
NEMESIS Air Delta v1 & v2 -Aluminum delta printers
Rostock MAX "KITT" - Tri-Force Frame
GRABER i3 "Slim"
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

DavidF wrote:
bvandiepenbos wrote:MAX METAL Effector Platform, J-Groove Mount and Carriage Arm Mounts, final version up on web site...
http://www.tricklaser.com/MAX-METAL-Pla ... L-PLAT.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Trick Laser Aluminum Rostock MAX platform-02s.jpg

Brian....Top notch!! Lovin it! Cant beat the price either. :mrgreen:
Thank you. Glad you like it. It is the 5th iteration I have been messing with for over a year.
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
GRABER i3 "Slim"
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

626Pilot wrote:One of the holes in the Trucks is wider than the others - this appears to be for the eccentric cams. I got confused by that.

I have a suggestion for improving the next revision of these frames. It would be nice if the dowel pins used for alignment were fatter. It may be necessary to use a hammer or other blunt object to tap the crossmembers into place because of how tight the tolerances are, but the pins are so skinny that they bend really easily. I think it would be better to just use fatter pins, and then it wouldn't matter as much. You don't notice this phenomenon as much when you've assembled and disassembled the frame a few times, presumably because the metal gets compressed a little, but that first assembly is tough without some kind of blunt object.
Thanks for the suggestions and info.
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
GRABER i3 "Slim"
626Pilot
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by 626Pilot »

bvandiepenbos wrote: Sorry they don't fit. I am surprised the Faztek don't work.
If you order the 80/20 brand (10 series) from ebay they will work.
http://stores.ebay.com/8020-Inc-Garage- ... 34.c0.m322" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MAX METAL Frame is made from 80/20 brand extrusions
I just ordered 30 of these. If it's the same manufacturer as the rails, I can't imagine it wouldn't work with their inside profile. I just wish they could ship faster. I'm guessing it'll be a full week before I can continue. I suppose I can still get the Trucks and the belts set up in the meantime.

I figure 30 is the right number - enough for six on each of the lower cross-members, and the upper cross-members get enough for the limit switches plus two extra on each side. Plenty for three filament spool holders.
626Pilot
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by 626Pilot »

bvandiepenbos wrote: Thanks for the suggestions and info.
Perhaps if you used two of the current pins next to each other, instead of just one? I assume the T-slot can only hold so much, bound by the thickness of the walls.
ZakRabbit
Printmaster!

Post by ZakRabbit »

I am waiting somewhat patiently for the full kit 'n kaboodle... this thread will definitely be a reference in the weeks to come! Thank you all!
626Pilot
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by 626Pilot »

I'm done putting the printer together structurally. Here's what I've learned so far about the easiest order in which to assemble it. I wound up putting it together and pulling it apart a good four or five times before I figured out the right order, so hopefully this will save others some time.

I ordered some color-coded heat shrink tubing to make things easier. The black stuff works too.

You may want to buy some Astrosyn dampers for your motors. The metal frame is quieter than the "speaker box" of a Rostock MAX, but it's still loud enough to be heard from behind a closed door.

First things first: Don't bolt the motors or any of the 3D printed/lasercut pieces to the frame yet. The belts can't be installed with the motors in place, and the PSU/electronics mounts will get in the way if installed too soon. The following instructions should be followed in order.

Frame bottom and sides
  • Route the wires through the center (round) part of the vertical T-slot rails first, before you bolt anything to them. Leave enough spare wire hanging out of each end to reach to either of the neighboring towers (plus ~2-3" extra, which you'll need because the wire will be twisted later). I think I bought 20' of that 8-conductor stuff on http://tricklaser.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, and that was enough with some extra to spare. (I wound up needing the extra.)
  • If you need to use any tee nuts that aren't the roll-in kind (they have to be installed through the ends of the rails), put them in place now. The only roll-in tee nuts I'm aware of that work with this frame don't take the screw size that the printable/laser-cut parts require.
  • Using the supplied two-hole tee nuts, LOOSELY bolt three horizontal (double-wide) T-slot rails to the bottom of the vertical rails, so that the bottom edges of the rails sit on the alignment pins. (The bottom of each vertical rail is where the holes are drilled for the steppers.) Don't tighten all the way - the frame should feel a little loose. Don't bolt on the top three rails just yet, either.
  • Make SURE that none of the T-slot nuts you put into the horizontal rails are sitting at or near the rail-ends. It's really easy to tighten the rails down, and then discover that a tee nut is lodged in there. It won't budge after the rails are tightened, trust me.
  • Tolerances are tight, so you'll probably have to "persuade" the rails to sit directly on the alignment pins. DON'T use a hammer. If you absolutely must, use a small (hammer-sized) rubber mallet. Better still, ball your fist and use the bottom edge (where the last finger/meaty part of the palm is) with the least force necessary to seat the rails. (Don't put your back into it - you really just want a little force.) The objective is to get it to where no light (direct or reflected) can pass between the rails and the pins. If you see even the tiniest amount of light making it through, you have a gap that needs closing.
Carriages
  • Assemble the Trick Trucks according to the video on the Trick Laser store page. Note that the BOM specifies one too few washers for each wheel, if you were to go by that video. I compensated by leaving out the washer that goes between the screw head and the metal of the Trucks. (The rest of the washers are crucial - you can't leave any out.)
  • Don't fasten the plastic U-joint yokes to the trucks yet. You just want the bare metal cutouts with the wheels.
  • Slide the Trucks down over the tops of the rails. They'll probably be loose and wobbly. The eccentric cams have notches ground into the narrowest part. Rotate the cams using a wrench or pliers until the Trucks ride tight, but not too tight. They should have no wobble to them at all, but they should still fall on their own if you move them up the rails and let go. If a Truck doesn't fall on its own, rotate the eccentric cam so that the notched side is further from facing inward.
  • If you can't get the Trucks properly tight (not even slightly wobbly), even with the eccentric cam's notched face fully inward, it means something either needs to be tightened, or you need to loosen and re-tighten all three of the wheels. I had to do that a couple times.
  • As you move the trucks up and down, they should glide smoothly. You shouldn't feel like something is grinding or chattering inside any of the wheels. If you do, something is too tight and needs to be loosened. Remember that there needs to be a washer INSIDE each wheel, between the two bearings. If it isn't there, you'll probably have trouble!
  • Now, REMOVE all three Trick Trucks from the towers. The point of installing them here was to verify that they were capable of gliding smoothly, but we can't connect the belts to them while they're still in place. We'll loosen the e-cams and press them into place on the towers later on. (If you forget this step, it's not a big deal - they can be removed later. It's just easier to do this by sliding them off the ends of the rails.)
Pullies & frame top
  • Assemble the pullies. I used three washers on either side of the bearings for spacing (they come with the kit), as the printable spacers didn't fit on my printer. The... uh... let's call them "pulley risers" are the metal shanks that stand on either side of the pullies, and they slide into the frame. Take care to assemble them with the angle-ground sides inward - they're ground that way so that they'll fit into the vertical T-slot. Slide the pulley assemblies into the T-slot.
  • The pulley risers have been tapped to accept the cap-head Allen screws that come with the kit. They serve the same purpose as the two-hole tee nuts you used to fasten the lower horizontals in the previous section.
  • If you're using the printable endstop switch mounts, put two of the SeeMe T-slot nuts into each of the upper channels of the three horizontal extrusions before you mount them.
  • Bolt the three remaining horizontal rails LOOSELY to the top of the frame, taking care to seat them on the alignment pins such that no light can travel between the pins and the rails. Again, don't use a rubber mallet unless there's no other way, and don't use a regular hammer at all.
  • Now that all six horizontal rails are loosely attached, start tightening them down. Again, make SURE that no tee nuts are sitting at the ends of the rails - you don't want them getting clamped in place during the tightening process.
  • I like to make two passes at this: tighten the rails "sorta", JUST until there's no slop, but not nearly as tight as they can be - and then a second pass, where I tighten them down all the way. As you do this, re-check the rails to make sure they're seated fully on their pins, with no light making it between the rails and their pins. They will get jostled a little as the other rails are tightened, and as you move the printer around to work on it. I did this by tightening a screw on one side of a horizontal, then the screw diagonally opposite to it, then the remaining two, and then I'd pick up the printer and rotate it so that the next side was facing me.
  • Once you're done tightening everything, do another inspection to make sure no light is visible between any of the rails and their alignment pins.
Endstop switches
  • Bolt the microswitches to their mounts first.
  • Lay the printer on one side. Place an endstop mount into one of the two corners that are laying flat. Use an Allen wrench or similar to push one of the tee nuts into place, and to align it so that the screw hole is straight up and down rather than angled. Bolt the mount down loosely, and then do the same for a mount on the other side.
  • That done, rotate the printer until the side required to fasten the remaining endstop switch mount is facing up, and then loosely bolt that one in.
  • Each endstop mount has two bolt holes, so fasten the bolts through the other holes using the same technique.
  • After everything is loosely bolted, you can tighten down the bolts. Don't over-tighten them, or you'll crack the mounts.
Endstop switch wiring (Upper)
  • I used the following color codes for wire, AND for heat-shrink: X=RED, Y=GREEN, Z=BLUE. The TL 8-conductor wire has red, green, blue, and some other colors.
  • Following recommendations elsewhere, I decided to dedicate the 8-conductor wire going through one of the towers for endstops only in order to lower the probability of EM interference causing false triggers. I also decided to use color-coded heat shrink, rather than just the black stuff. I figured that would make things easier, and it did!
  • I took two pairs of wires, slid three short sections of heat shrink over each pair, and then used a power drill to wind the wires up into tight double helices. That done, I spaced the heat shrink sections evenly, and used a heat gun to tighten them down. That would keep the wires from un-winding on their own. This procedure makes cable management much easier, and also increases resistance to EM interference. The third pair was cut short, as it goes to the endstop switch right on its own tower. A fourth pair is left unused.
  • Using either spade connectors or solder, connect each wire pair to the common (COM) and normally closed (NC) pins on the switches. I slid color-coded heat shrink over each wire at the end of the twisted pairs, soldered them in place, and then slid the heat shrink over the solder joints.
  • For now, the wires are just pressed into the lower channel of the horizontal rails. In the future, I think I'll design some printable clip-on thing to fasten them better.
Motors & Belts
  • If you bought Astrosyn or other stepper motor dampers, fasten them to your stepper motors now.
  • Install the GT2 pulleys to your steppers. Fit them into the motor mounts to ensure that the pulleys are exactly the right distance from the nose of each motor. Once you're sure they're PERFECT, use thread locker and tighten the grub screws all the way. Keep in mind that the Allen wrench they supply is made out of soft metal, and you're only going to get a few full tighten/loosen cycles for each pulley before the wrench starts getting rounded out (and therefore useless).
  • Do all three motors before you continue, and verify them all after tightening (with thread locker) before you continue by test-fitting them to their towers. The thread locker doesn't set immediately, so you can loosen/tighten them for a little while after, should you discover a mis-alignment.
  • Cut your GT2 belts to length, leaving ~6" extra. I did this by hanging the belt next to a tower to simulate the length between the two pullies, doubling that, and then adding some extra length.
  • If you use a length of GT2 belt as a template to cut the other two belts, DOUBLE-CHECK IT. I cut a length too short, and then had to go through and cut three more lengths after I discovered my error.
  • Fish a length of GT2 belt down the outward (closed) channel of one of the vertical rails. It should emerge into the cutout for the motor, down at the bottom. Fish it out of there. Install the motor using the 20mm screws that come with the kit. (I used 22mm screws, which also worked fine.)
  • Make sure the locknuts holding the top pully assemblies together aren't too tight, and that the pulleys are resting at the lowest position possible. (The pulley risers have elongated slots so that the pulleys can be moved up and down to provide proper tension.)
  • Take the U-joint yokes (plastic pieces with endstop adjustment screws sticking up out of them) and install the printable belt grippers (shaped like this: |___|), with the bottom touching the U-joint yokes. When the yokes are installed to the Trick Trucks, this will leave a little channel between the yokes and the metal part of the trucks. Be SURE to trim away any excess plastic from the belt grippers, as the completed assembly has to sit perfectly FLAT. Do NOT screw them to the Trucks yet!
  • I didn't install the printable belt standoffs, as they didn't allow the Trucks' wheels to sit in the grooves. Maybe a future rev, or more washers, will fix that.
  • With the GT2 belt running over both the top and bottom pullies, bring the belt ends together. The teeth should be facing each other. Sandwich them so that the teeth of each belt half engages with the teeth of the other half. Feed the "belt sandwich" through the little cutout in the middle of each Truck, from the back side (where the wheels are).
  • Pulling the "belt sandwich" through the cutout and then upwards (towards the top of the printer), install the U-joint yokes. The printable belt grippers you installed to the U-joint yokes should close around the belts, locking them down to the Trucks. Tighten the yokes down good. There should be some excess belt sticking up. You can trim those down, but keep in mind that the more you trim, the harder it'll be to re-do this in the future without having to buy more GT2 belt. You'll definitely want to remove enough slack to be absolutely certain that it can't get anywhere near where the endstop screws have to press the switches, or get fouled up with anything else.
  • Loosen the eccentric cams on the Trucks by rotating the marked side until it's facing all the way outwards.
  • Push the Trucks into place on the rails. You may have to mess with them a little to get them in place. That done, rotate the marked sides of the e-cams until the Trucks slide up and down easily, but without ANY slop at all.
  • As you slide the trucks up and down, you'll feel a very smooth "notched" response from the stepper motor, as the magnets pass the stators inside the motors many times per revolution. The Trucks will no longer fall on their own because of the motors' internal friction. You should NOT sense any grinding/chattering coming from the wheels themselves. If you do, it means one of the wheels is too tight, or you forgot to put a washer between the two bearings in each wheel. All three Trucks should be tight enough not to have any wobble AT ALL, but not so tight that unneeded extra friction is imparted. That will make the motors work harder, and may hurt print quality.
  • Using an Allen wrench and something to hold the locknut in place, move each top pulley up in its groove until the slack is taken out of each belt. I usually use an Allen wrench or a pair of tiny screwdrivers to lever the pulley upwards and keep it under tension. You shouldn't hear a bunch of noise coming from the top pulleys as the belts ride over them. If you tighten a pulley and hear belt noise, loosen it, bring it down a tiny fraction of an inch, tighten it, and try again. Keep doing this until the sound of the pulley teeth riding over the top pulley is no longer excessive.
Wiring (Lower)
  • I used the same trick as above - three short sections of color-coded heat shrink, and I wound the wires with a drill. Steppers have four wires, so you can braid them instead, but holy hell, that takes all day! With the drill and some heat-shrink, I got them wound and tightened much more quickly. I did likewise with some "Makerbot connector" wires (the kind with a female connector that hooks the steppers up to the controller). I joined the stepper wires to the connector wires with butt splices.
  • To be continued.
That's as far as I've got. The structure is basically done at this point. I haven't installed the rubber feet or their risers - filament flow may have been too low when I printed the risers, because while the T-slots will stand on them, they don't grip the slots and will fall out the moment the printer is picked up. I also didn't install the electronics/PSU mounting hardware yet because without the risers, the printer isn't tall enough to accommodate them, and the frame would sit at a funny angle.

I used SeeMe's T-slot nuts for the endstop mounts because they take screws that are the right diameter for the mounts, an I wanted a tight fit to ensure good alignment. I also installed the heated bed brackets, but as these are keyed to line up perfectly with the slots, I was able to use the roll-in tee nuts with different (narrower) screw threading. I don't think any roll-in tee nuts are available that have big enough threading to accommodate SeeMe's screws, so you have to get narrower ones.
Last edited by 626Pilot on Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Renha
Printmaster!

Post by Renha »

Wow, Pilot, that's cool! Little addings and we'll have full instructions like geneb's for Rostock :)
3D printing is magic!

Sorry my engrish :-/ you could PM me in Russian.
Renha
Printmaster!

Post by Renha »

bvandiepenbos wrote:MAX METAL Effector Platform
dimensions, please? I want to develop Diamond Hotend adapter while waiting for shipment, so I need mounting holes placement and effector thickness at least, but the more data the better.
3D printing is magic!

Renha
Printmaster!

Post by Renha »

What about T2.5 belts?
3D printing is magic!

ZakRabbit
Printmaster!

Post by ZakRabbit »

Renha wrote:What about T2.5 belts?
You'd need to get T2.5 pulleys then reset your steps/mm.
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

@626pilot, Thanks for posting the detailed write up for assembly.
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
GRABER i3 "Slim"
ZakRabbit
Printmaster!

Post by ZakRabbit »

bvandiepenbos wrote:@626pilot, Thanks for posting the detailed write up for assembly.
Thanks go to both 626Pilot and you, Brian for making this possible. I just got my shipping notice!
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

Renha wrote:
bvandiepenbos wrote:MAX METAL Effector Platform
dimensions, please? I want to develop Diamond Hotend adapter while waiting for shipment, so I need mounting holes placement and effector thickness at least, but the more data the better.
I am away from my computer at the moment, but basic dimensions are same as seemecnc plastic platform...
Standoffs spacing, axle location from center, arm spacing etc.
Aluminium is 1/4" thick (6.6 mm)

Edit: I will ul a stl of platform later today.

Edit 2: files up on repables.com http://repables.com/r/605" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by bvandiepenbos on Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
GRABER i3 "Slim"
ZakRabbit
Printmaster!

Post by ZakRabbit »

626Pilot wrote:Wiring (Lower)
  • I used the same trick as above - three short sections of color-coded heat shrink, and I wound the wires with a drill. Steppers have four wires, so you can braid them instead, but holy hell, that takes all day! With the drill and some heat-shrink, I got them wound and tightened much more quickly. I did likewise with some "Makerbot connector" wires (the kind with a female connector that hooks the steppers up to the controller). I joined the stepper wires to the connector wires with butt splices.
Did you turn the 4 wires coming out of the stepper motor into two twisted pairs (each pole becoming its own twisted pair), or twist all four together?
626Pilot
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by 626Pilot »

bvandiepenbos wrote:@626pilot, Thanks for posting the detailed write up for assembly.
Thanks for making a really accurate delta printer frame with a part count so low, you can tell a person how to build it in a few paragraphs!
ZakRabbit wrote:Did you turn the 4 wires coming out of the stepper motor into two twisted pairs (each pole becoming its own twisted pair), or twist all four together?
All four are twisted around each other.

Return to “Other Machines”