Ebay Lasers

Such as Laser cutters (Must use the phrase 'sharks with frickin lazors' once per thread)
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Ebay Lasers

Post by KAS »

Anyone have experiences with the Redsail 50w / 6ow clones being sold on ebay? I know the wattage is overstated from the reviews I can find, but nobody seems to have any real issues.
I don't mind upgrading after the fact, just want something with a larger footprint to learn on. $2k-ish is about my budget.

something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/291411058723?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Ebay Lasers

Post by geneb »

LASE ALL THE THINGS!!!!111ONEONEONE :D

Looks like a nice rig.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
jram
Printmaster!

Post by jram »

I'm interested in seeing how this works out if you get it. I'm in the market for one in that price range or a bit above and I'd really like to hear some firsthand feedback on this machine.
Machines- Rostock Max v2 with E3D v6, Corsair 750 power supply, PEI bed,injection molded carriages and new arms. Aluminum mount. X carve with x controller. Stratasys Uprint SE
Captain Starfish
Printmaster!

Post by Captain Starfish »

A lot of feedback on this brand and its shadier copies coming out of China can be found on cnczone. Sorry, never paid much attention but I see the name in the thread titles all the time there.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Does anyone know how deep into mdf this machine could cut?
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

If it's actually a 60W machine, ~1/4 inch at reasonable speeds. However, as KAS mentioned, the machines are over-advertised on wattage.

If I may make a suggestion, while the footprint is slightly lower (20X12), the company that made my laser has an actual 50W one for ~2K. I had precisely one problem with mine (The tubing for the air compressor wouldn't fit on the bayonet, but the threading on it was unusual enough I couldn't find a properly sized replacement, so I had to make up a bridge with some larger tubing, and a pair of bayonets threaded together). http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.co ... sermachine

If you have a bit more budget they have a 60W model for only 600 more. They also have rotary attachments and other things you can add on. The nicest thing is that they pack in the chiller, exhaust blower, compressor, and most of the tubing and fittings required (Ours included a very large resistor for dummy load testing, and a fairly tough if quite small flash drive (The flash drive needs to be small in size for the controller to recognize it, if it's the same controller as ours. we have good luck with ~110MB drives, which are easily available online still, and you can fit plenty of MOLs on it), the only thing we needed they didn't pack in was distilled water and the fittings for the bridge I had to make)

Biggest downside is the lasercut software. It's got a poorly translated Chinese manual, and is a little crash happy. But it works once you figure it out (Hint, Soft dog is a Software Dongle)
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Thanks for all of this info about lasers and the source for the laser that you have experience with.
Can the 50 Watt cut 1/4" into the mdf as well as the Ebay Chinese versions? You are a wealth of information!
Xenocrates wrote:If it's actually a 60W machine, ~1/4 inch at reasonable speeds. However, as KAS mentioned, the machines are over-advertised on wattage.

If I may make a suggestion, while the footprint is slightly lower (20X12), the company that made my laser has an actual 50W one for ~2K. I had precisely one problem with mine (The tubing for the air compressor wouldn't fit on the bayonet, but the threading on it was unusual enough I couldn't find a properly sized replacement, so I had to make up a bridge with some larger tubing, and a pair of bayonets threaded together). http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.co ... sermachine

If you have a bit more budget they have a 60W model for only 600 more. They also have rotary attachments and other things you can add on. The nicest thing is that they pack in the chiller, exhaust blower, compressor, and most of the tubing and fittings required (Ours included a very large resistor for dummy load testing, and a fairly tough if quite small flash drive (The flash drive needs to be small in size for the controller to recognize it, if it's the same controller as ours. we have good luck with ~110MB drives, which are easily available online still, and you can fit plenty of MOLs on it), the only thing we needed they didn't pack in was distilled water and the fittings for the bridge I had to make)

Biggest downside is the lasercut software. It's got a poorly translated Chinese manual, and is a little crash happy. But it works once you figure it out (Hint, Soft dog is a Software Dongle)
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

If anything, it should cut better. It should come with a chiller that will keep liquid temps relatively low (~15C is my experience), which allows the lasing tube to develop more output at a given power level, and is an actual 50W tube, while the redsails are apparently optimistically rated at 50Ws. My machine, which is the larger 60W 24X16 (The area you can use is actually larger than that, miracle of miracles), has an 80W power supply and a 60W tube. I suspect that the 50W machine will come with a 50W tube and a 60W power supply, given their usual modus operandi. Or you could pay the premium to get a 60W tube from the outset.

However, cutting power is dependent on the optics more than much else. The laser, while having some level of auto-focus, usually keeps the focal point right at the depth probe. It also likely will not arrive fully aligned, so make use of the spotting laser to help you align it.

You will have to cut somewhat slowly though. We cut 1/4 baltic birch and mellamine on our laser routinely, and it is a bit slow at that. With ~85% of the power, you'll probably need 85% of the speed we use (And unfortunately, the lasercut control's don't tell us MM/s or wattage or duty cycle, so it's a real guessing game figuring out what they mean. They could be in Becquerels per Dioptere for all I know)
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Thanks Xenocrates!

Return to “Other Machines”