Shapeoko or X Carve

Such as Laser cutters (Must use the phrase 'sharks with frickin lazors' once per thread)
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Shapeoko or X Carve

Post by mhackney »

Sounds like the way for the PO to go.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
jram
Printmaster!

Post by jram »

Mantel 1.jpg
Mantel 1.jpg
Thanks for the help guys.I just found out that I got the grant today! So.. I think I'll be ordering early next week.I have attempted to attach an image of some of the work I've been doing with a larger CNC machine using 6lb density polystyrene. I scan a scale model with my structure sensor, I then scale the piece up to life size and then cut the pieces. This piece was cut using 44 separate files since she had to be sliced in two inch sections.The mantel attached to her head is modeled separately.You can't really see it that well in the images but the trim or moulding on the mantel is ABS printed on the Max v2, it allowed me to heat it to bend around her shoulder area. The entire piece is covered with styro safe resin and 6 ounce fiberglass.. with a few carbon fiber cut offs thrown as needed. The other piece in the post was done the same way.The flooring is steam bent oak. I will mostly be using the machine for foam but I anticipate that my students will want to cut rigid materials. I was really leaning toward the Shapeoko 3.. until I saw the OX.. I'm sure I'll be back and forth on it until I hit the "complete transaction" button!
Attachments
worker 1.jpg
Machines- Rostock Max v2 with E3D v6, Corsair 750 power supply, PEI bed,injection molded carriages and new arms. Aluminum mount. X carve with x controller. Stratasys Uprint SE
joe
Printmaster!

Post by joe »

Anyone have any experience or thoughts with this >> http://planet-cnc.com/hardware/#products-hardware
jram
Printmaster!

Post by jram »

Update since the original post: I ended up going with the Xcarve 1000mm. The X axis extrusion is upgraded and has required no reinforcement. I did the 30 minute X axis stiffening mod (angle iron) and I am loving this machine!The machine was cutting fine without the mod... but for 30 minutes and some scrap angle iron, I feel that it was worth the effort. I have been cutting plywood, wenge, and walnut so far. I've done mostly Vcarves but will soon be into 3D carves. The small details in the kit really serve to make it a nice smooth build! At this point, I highly recommend it for anyone on the fence! Thanks for the input.
Machines- Rostock Max v2 with E3D v6, Corsair 750 power supply, PEI bed,injection molded carriages and new arms. Aluminum mount. X carve with x controller. Stratasys Uprint SE

Return to “Other Machines”