injection mold machine

Such as Laser cutters (Must use the phrase 'sharks with frickin lazors' once per thread)
skyjuice
Printmaster!

injection mold machine

Post by skyjuice »

Is anyone out there familiar with making a 3d printed mold for an injection mold machine? I need to make one for a small product about the size od a small goldfish. I can pay! Thanks!
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: injection mold machine

Post by Xenocrates »

I know that Formlabs has a high-temp resin which can be used as an injection mold material, so perhaps people with a NanoDLP, Form 1/2, Droplit, or other resin machine, like say, Mike, or Geneb would be able to help you, although I might also try the High-temperature plastic/resin category on say, 3D hubs, as well as the Digital ABS services using polyjet's (It's not ABS, but a resin type thing, and Stratsys claims it's usable for injection molds). or PM other people using Formlabs resins or similar, to see if they will print you a part if you, given that it's only 33% more expensive than the standard resins. But that's all I have for you. Hope it helps, and it will be interesting to see your final product.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

What molding machine are you using and what are you injecting? How many parts do you want to get from one mold?

I've retired my SLA printer for another year. The software is still not up to snuff and I don't have a compelling need for the technology to deal with it.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
skyjuice
Printmaster!

Post by skyjuice »

mhackney wrote:What molding machine are you using and what are you injecting? How many parts do you want to get from one mold?

I've retired my SLA printer for another year. The software is still not up to snuff and I don't have a compelling need for the technology to deal with it.
I'm buying a small benchtop mold machine from my dad. Pic attached. Not sure yet what plastic to use for the product I want to make (ABS?). I'd like to do a lot of parts (couple thousand), so I would have to get a pretty decent mold made.
skyjuice
Printmaster!

Post by skyjuice »

Xenocrates, great suggestions as always! I did meet a guy that has a formlab printer, i'll reach out to him. Thanks!!!
626Pilot
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by 626Pilot »

Formlabs' high-temp resin is rated for 289C at 0.45MPa. I wonder how it would stand up to thousands of shots of ABS. According to this, it is recommended for injection molding, and also not recommended for injection molding!
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

626Pilot wrote:Formlabs' high-temp resin is rated for 289C at 0.45MPa. I wonder how it would stand up to thousands of shots of ABS. According to this, it is recommended for injection molding, and also not recommended for injection molding!
That does and doesn't contradict itself.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler

Return to “Other Machines”