Why do all my prints look like this??

A place to post your fails. We know you got 'em, now share what you think caused 'em
Zakk
Noob

Why do all my prints look like this??

Post by Zakk »

Does anyone know why this keeps happening?
Do I need new belts?

I have only had a few decent prints since I got this printer.
It a rostock max.
I attached a picture of a failed part as well as the model I tried to print.
Attachments
Failed part. Why so bad?
Failed part. Why so bad?
Desired part.
Desired part.
Failed part. Why so bad?
Failed part. Why so bad?
2014-08-06_16.05.10.jpg (10.56 KiB) Viewed 7200 times
McSlappy
Printmaster!

Re: Why do all my prints look like this??

Post by McSlappy »

Looks like some pretty severe over-extrusion. Have you calibrated your e-steps?

http://reprap.org/wiki/Triffid_Hunter%2 ... tion_Guide" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Go down to the E-steps / measure section. Follow just the Measure steps for now, you can fine tune afterwards. In addition to these steps, I would measure/extrude another 100mm length just to confirm the settings are correct.

Let us know how that goes.
I loved my Rostock so much I now sell them in Oz :)
DavidF
Printmaster!

Post by DavidF »

If you look at the print you can see its layers are off set to one side.
Need to.identify the direction and offending tower first. Could be a belt slipping or loose set screw on the timing pulley. Check there first...
http://www.youtube.com/user/aonemarine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lost pla castings? see me
Tinyhead
Printmaster!

Post by Tinyhead »

I agree with the over extrusion, but could you also provide more information? What material are you using? What temperature are you printing at? Layer height, etc. You've obviously got problems and it looks like too much filament at too high a temperature.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Zakk, lets start with basics...

Please post your slicing configuration - or better yet - post the gcode that you created to make this print.
What material was this printed? (the temps we need will be in the slicer or geocode file you prove so no need to ask for those)
Also post your Configuration.h file from Repetier - and, where did you get the original repetier firmware source?

It looks like you have several issues but we should attack those one at a time. What I see is significant over extrusion and/or too high temperatures to produce that "pile" like effect. That will obfuscate other issues so lets address that one first.

The other issue I see is an apparent shift from layer to layer. Rarely is a new belt required to fix this, it is likely a loose pulley on a motor shaft or a loose belt. But lets hold off on that until we get nice looking layers.

cheers,
Michael

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
Zakk
Noob

Post by Zakk »

Hi everyone,

Thank you for the help.

I followed the measure steps for the extruder and found it to be extruding the correct length.

I am printing with ABS.

The firmware source came from a link in the Rostock assembly guide.
https://github.com/seemecnc/Repetier-09 ... master.zip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I attached the Configuration.h file.
I also attached the G code that was used.

Thank you so much!
Attachments
Gcode.odt
(155.71 KiB) Downloaded 320 times
Configuration.h
(51.37 KiB) Downloaded 212 times
Last edited by Zakk on Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lightninjay
Printmaster!

Post by lightninjay »

Woof! :shock:

Hey there Zakk, nice to meet you. First thing's first, please edit your post and simply upload a copy of your gcode file.

Secondly, I notice your nozzle diameter is .55mm, rather than the .5mm that I usually have it set at. This could be minimal, but I believe it factors in to how fast the slicer decides to extrude filament. If your printer thinks it has a bigger nozzle, it should feed faster, therefore giving you blobby prints.

This is just my first guess while perusing the first few lines of your wall of GCODE.

Welcome to the forums!
If at first you don't succeed, you're doing something wrong. Try again, and if it fails again, try once more. Through trial and error, one can be the first to accomplish something great.
Zakk
Noob

Post by Zakk »

Thank you for the advise. I adjusted my nozzle diameter and printed the model again. It looks about the same.
Attachments
2014-08-18 17.42.37.jpg
1ggy
Printmaster!

Post by 1ggy »

My first thought is that there is something wrong with your calibration. If height is wrong, it may be dragging the head through the part which would cause all sorts of issues. That's the only thing I can really think of unless you have some seriously massive overextrusion going on.
DavidF
Printmaster!

Post by DavidF »

Have any of your prints looked good? If so can we see a pic of a good print and a pic of the printer its self. Did you buy this printer second hand??
http://www.youtube.com/user/aonemarine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lost pla castings? see me
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

Can you post your EEPROM settings?

It looks to me like something is way off, either steps per mm for the extruder, or for the axis, but I am assuming you would have mentioned if parts were coming out too small.
I assume you have not touched the flow rate in the host UI, I.e. It's set to 100%

Return to “FAIL HAPPENS ! ! !”