Impossible print failure?????

A place to post your fails. We know you got 'em, now share what you think caused 'em
Cale
Printmaster!

Impossible print failure?????

Post by Cale »

I have been trying to print gears for a cube gear for awhile.I've had a lot of problems I thought I fixed.Tonight I printed a large cube gear for the first time in awhile.I left my printer while it was printing. Later my mom came and got me to go see it.The whole print was a mess.I noticed it was bigger than it should be and it was totally weird at places.The nozzle had stopped at one corner,but when I got my computer screen on it started printing again.I have 100% no explanation of what happened.I would appreciate any help you can give me.Here are some photos to help you solve this.
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/fla ... 4e9179.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/fla ... 46f977.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/fla ... 5bdcca.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/fla ... 3090ce.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/fla ... 65599d.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/fla ... f354ec.jpg[/img]

Cale
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Impossible print failure?????

Post by Eaglezsoar »

We need to know some more information.
What type of filament are you using, PLA or ABS?
What is the temperature of the hotend?
What is the temperature of the heatbed?
Which slicer did you use?

What type of printer are you using?
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

"but when I got my computer screen on it started printing again."
That is part of your problem. From that statement it looks like you're printing from your computer instead of the sd card. The power management settings in your laptop is what caused the printer to stop.

As for the rest, what Eaglezsoar said.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
Cale
Printmaster!

Post by Cale »

I am here to answer the questions you guys have asked me.And to give another update on this subject.I am using PLA.The nozzle is at 200 degrees celcius.The heated-bed is at 60 degrees celcius.I am using Cura because of how easy it is.My printer is a Rostock MAX v2.The reason why I'm not using an SD card is that I keep having problems getting the file I want onto the card.But I don't think the computer turning off is the problem.I once did a 3 hour print and it was fine.Tonight I printed the MAKE robot,and it acted like my other print.I've printed it before and I immediately noticed it was bigger than it should be.While using the same amount of filament.Apparentey there is something wrong with scaling or something.Here are some pictures to hopefully help you solve this.
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/fla ... 7de1a9.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/fla ... 4385de.jpg[/img]

Thanks,
Cale
McSlappy
Printmaster!

Post by McSlappy »

Not sure about scaling issue, but make sure all your power off settings on your laptop are turned off. Laptops are great to print from since you can recover a print even with a total power failure :)

Aside from that... Are you sure that 200c isn't too hot for that filament? Looks like it's having some issues.
- What's the lowest temp you can extrude the PLA at? (lower the temp 5c, wait 30 sec then extrude 50mm and repeat until it wont extrude)
- Add 10c to the lowest temp it will extrude at and try printing the same part again.

Maybe start there and see what you get.
I loved my Rostock so much I now sell them in Oz :)
Cale
Printmaster!

Post by Cale »

I'd like to say something about my print problem.I believe it is some kind of software problem.I think the problem is either in the g-code file,or the firmware(not very likely,but still possible).

Cale
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

It's easier for the firmware to get corrupted then the slicer program. I'd reflash the firmware. When I swapped out power supplies, I had a problem pop up. Reflashing the firmware corrected it.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
Cale
Printmaster!

Post by Cale »

Right now I'm trying to reupload the firmware onto my printer.At the moment I'm not sure if it's uploading.Every time I upload the file,after its finished uploading it says
Port COM8 is already in use.Try quiting any programs that may be using it.
When I looked under it it showed at one spot that shows how much gigabyte space I have on the RAMBO.Not sure if this means it has uploaded or not.I would appreciate any help you can give on this question.
Thanks,Cale
BenTheRighteous
Printmaster!

Post by BenTheRighteous »

I've seen my Repetier Host give that error once or twice. Usually just restarting the program fixes it, although sometimes it gets stuck so badly that I have to reboot the computer.

Not sure I've had that trouble while uploading firmware, but maybe the same thing applies...
nitewatchman wrote:it was much cleaner and easier than killing a chicken on top of the printer.
Cale
Printmaster!

Post by Cale »

I figured out why I couldn't re-upload the firmware.I forgot to mention this when I did my last post,but I was using Arduino software to upload the file.The problem was that I was also connected to Repetier at the same time.That is why I couldn't upload the firmware very easy.I re-uploaded he firmware,but it didn't help.I then studied some firmware settings on the Rostock MAX v2 instruction manual.I made some modifications,but it didn't do anything.One person I talked to locally said it was something with the stepper motor.It seems like to him the motors turn more than they should,but what would cause it to do it,and how can I solve this problem with the incorrect scale of my prints .Hope this helps you figure out how to solve my problem.
Cale
lightninjay
Printmaster!

Post by lightninjay »

You may want to check your firmware to make sure you have the 20-tooth pulley set, rather than the 16-tooth, if you think it has to do with speed that the motors are driving the belts.
If at first you don't succeed, you're doing something wrong. Try again, and if it fails again, try once more. Through trial and error, one can be the first to accomplish something great.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

lightninjay wrote:You may want to check your firmware to make sure you have the 20-tooth pulley set, rather than the 16-tooth, if you think it has to do with speed that the motors are driving the belts.
Good point and along those lines I would check and make sure that the pulleys are 20 tooth. Mistakes sometimes get made.
Cale
Printmaster!

Post by Cale »

I have a few questions about your answers.Is the teeth setting in the firmware EEPROM setting?If so which setting is it?If it isn't in EEPROM then where is it exactly.(sorry if you are overwhelmed,but I'm a beginner)
Cale
Earthbound
Printmaster!

Post by Earthbound »

Gear tooth count is defined in Configuration.h at line 120. This is one of the files that make up Repetier firmware.
"Trust no quote from the Internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Cale
Printmaster!

Post by Cale »

I finally solved my problem!!!On the Arduino software I sent EEPROM.clear, then I re-uploaded the firmware.I then printed out the first layer of the Make robot and it was back to normal size.Thanks everyone for allthe help.
Cale
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Cale wrote:I finally solved my problem!!!On the Arduino software I sent EEPROM.clear, then I re-uploaded the firmware.I then printed out the first layer of the Make robot and it was back to normal size.Thanks everyone for allthe help.
Cale
Glad that you got it fixed!

Return to “FAIL HAPPENS ! ! !”